The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniOutliner 3 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   OO Pro 4.0? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1673)

irfoton 2008-11-12 06:02 AM

In order of priority what I'd like to see in OO v4:

1) multiple pages with a tab interface ala Safari
2) multiple pages with a tab interface ala Safari
3) multiple pages with a tab interface ala Safari

derick 2008-11-13 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=Cog;50552][B]Vital needs in order of importance[/B]
...snip...

[B]Pipe dreams[/B]
Webkit/rtf/txt/pdf viewer built into comments field
...snip...[/QUOTE]

All this stuff is built into Cocoa & should be maybe an hour's work for a skilled programmer - nothing custom, just hook into what OS X provides.

celsee 2009-02-05 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=bluloo;7076]

How about tabs and split document windows as well. Split windows is something that I've come to depend on and can't really write without.

[/QUOTE]

Both of these would be freakin sweet. I love tabbed everything, multiple OO documents included! And I've always wished there was a split window capability in OO Pro. Something that allows for a rigid outline on the left and a more user-defined free-flowing section to the right to allow for less rigid note taking/thoughts (that is more free than the little icon to add notes to specific lines of text).

The ability to add a note a specific subset of data would be good, too (say, highlight 3 or 4 rows and hit the keyboard shortcut for note, which brackets the text (on the right of the rows) and allows for the addition of the note about those rows in the split window!

OK I'm done.

Tinchohs 2009-02-20 11:51 AM

Two things I have been waiting for...

(1) Links. At least for the way I work, I find the many times, I need the same data in more than one place in my document. For example, I keep a detailed log of my 1:1's with my reports under the People section. Yet, then I go visit a subsidiary, I have the whole meeting planned under Sub-Visits. Thus my 1:1's for that sub at that period of time are there. I end-up copying the info from one place to another. When ever a similar scenario takes place, but with more dynamic content, it becomes really hard to update and manage. I end-up with non-updated version somewhere in my document.

(2) Actions. I make it a big priority to identify within my notes, which are actions. I use the checkboxes in the current version, but it defeats the purpose that all the options I have are either on or off. If every cell has a checkbox, then they no longer serve to identify actions. Currently I format the actions in a different color until I activate them in OF, yet it does not work very well.

Hope this things can make it to the version 4 release. By the way, tabs would also be very cool, and perhaps a seach feature that looks for content across several notebooks | files. Thanks.

scotty321 2009-04-19 04:53 PM

I'd like the ability to select MULTIPLE sections in the utility window, and see all of those sections together in the main window. Sort of like the "Edit Scriveners" function in Scrivener.

Currently, we can either select one section at a time in the utility window, or the entire document. (And when clicking on the entire document, it always scrolls back to the top, which is undesirable for us.)

steinitz 2009-04-20 12:37 AM

Hi,

As mentioned many times with many different names and descriptions: links, aliases, clones... whatever you want to call them. I believe some at Omni call them urls. That includes intra OmniOutliner links to other rows in the same document as well as links to rows in other OmniOutliner documents.

And, allowing links from OmniFocus to OmniOutliner rows is just as important

Cheers,

Steve

scotty321 2009-04-21 02:39 AM

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of split windows! Multiple windows for the same document! Thank you! :)

kened 2009-05-20 09:18 AM

Oo 4.0

looking at the zoom request thread - above this one- i decided to have a look at some of the requests made in this thread. there seem to be some users who want omnioutliner to become all things to all people - a word processor / spreadsheet / database /web browser even.

the reason i love OMniOutliner is its simplicity and flexibility as an outliner - it's in its fitness for purpose (for me that means planning, brainstorming and drafting) and its elegance, that its great strength lies.

this is from the heart guys. give us zoom view in 4.00, but [B]PLEASE[/B] don't turn my favourite application bar none into a bloated monster that tries to do everything. i haven't asked but i'm willing to bet a lot of users are with me on this.

xiamenese 2009-05-20 04:53 PM

All things to all people ...

Yeah, I'm with you Kened.

As I read this thread, it seems as if people want to turn OO into a Microsoft Office substitute gawd'elpus! I too like lean and mean as possible. I don't want to write a book in Outliner, I want to create an outline and I've got Scrivener for the writing; I don't want to run my accounts or other complex calculation systems in Outliner, I've got Tables or Numbers for that; I don't want to output a fully-formatted manuscript from Outliner, I've got Nisus Writer Pro, Pages, InDesign and others for that; I don't want to surf the web in Outliner, I've got OmniWeb for that.

What I do want is export/exchange possibilities with those other apps, not a replacement for them. Cloning, or whatever you want to call it, I can understand a need/use for.

Mark

a63rve 2009-07-28 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=kened;60100]looking at the zoom request thread - above this one- i decided to have a look at some of the requests made in this thread. there seem to be some users who want omnioutliner to become all things to all people - a word processor / spreadsheet / database /web browser even.

the reason i love OMniOutliner is its simplicity and flexibility as an outliner - it's in its fitness for purpose (for me that means planning, brainstorming and drafting) and its elegance, that its great strength lies.

this is from the heart guys. give us zoom view in 4.00, but [B]PLEASE[/B] don't turn my favourite application bar none into a bloated monster that tries to do everything. i haven't asked but i'm willing to bet a lot of users are with me on this.[/QUOTE]
Zoom YES! (old eyes). Bloat NO!