The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Reverse Focus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6232)

joelande 2007-12-12 08:14 AM

Reverse Focus

I like the idea how you can be in project mode, select a few items, hit Focus, then move to context mode, and the focus remains intact.

Does anybody see any usefulness in going the other direction?

I found myself in context mode, I had an action selected, and I wanted to change some items related to it (Planning type work).

However when I switched to Project mode, the action item was lost in the sea of action items, I of course found it again using search, but wouldn't it be useful if:

1. you are in Context mode
2. you have an Action selected
3. you click Focus
4. you switch to Planning mode
5. your action is still selected and the project it is assigned to is displayed before you

jasong 2007-12-12 08:47 AM

If you have an action selected in Context mode, and select View > Show in Planning Mode (command-option-r), you'll be switched to Planning mode with the action selected.

joelande 2007-12-12 08:48 AM

That helps!

thanks

VicDiesel 2007-12-12 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=jasong;28358]If you have an action selected in Context mode, and select View > Show in Planning Mode (command-option-r), you'll be switched to Planning mode with the action selected.[/QUOTE]

I have lots of folders of projects. When I'm in planning mode, how do I find the folder hierarchy where a task is?

Victor.

davisre 2007-12-12 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=jasong;28358]If you have an action selected in Context mode, and select View > Show in Planning Mode (command-option-r), you'll be switched to Planning mode with the action selected.[/QUOTE]

Note also that you [I]can[/I] focus when you're in Context view. Just select an action and hit the focus button (or menu item). This wasn't obvious to me, either, until Ken pointed it out in another thread.

chinarut 2008-07-02 02:02 AM

hack to "reveal" project in hierarchy

[QUOTE=VicDiesel;28365]I have lots of folders of projects. When I'm in planning mode, how do I find the folder hierarchy where a task is?[/QUOTE]

I have a need for this too.

My workaround is when I am in planning mode, right-click a task and click "Show in Context Mode" then right click again and "Show in Planning Mode"

voila! the project will be selected in planning mode on the lefthand side.

yes, it's a bit hokey but it works.

Is there a more straightforward way to accomplish this?

I often need to do this "hack" when searching for a project in the hierarchy.

I'd prefer not have to backtrack to a straight list - hierarchy is one of the best features in OF and why I am choosing it over Things and the GTD Outlook Add-in at the moment!

MJK 2008-07-02 03:42 AM

You can add the button named "Switch" to your toolbar, clicking on it takes you to the selected item in the other mode.

You can also use the keyboard command Option+Command+R to do the same thing.

I believe this is what you are looking for. And it's already part of OmniFocus.

chinarut 2008-07-02 03:52 AM

[QUOTE=MJK;39150]You can add the button named "Switch" to your toolbar, clicking on it takes you to the selected item in the other mode.[/QUOTE]

nope - doesn't work. it goes to the other view and just comes back.

it doesn't show the project the action is located in.

I'm looking for a way to right-click on an action and have OF zoom in, select, and show me which project it is in in the Library.

MJK 2008-07-02 04:05 AM

[QUOTE=chinarut;39151]nope - doesn't work. it goes to the other view and just comes back.

I'm looking for a way to right-click on an action and have OF zoom in, select, and show me which project it is in in the Library.[/QUOTE]

If I choose an action in Context Mode and click Switch, it goes to Planning Mode and selects the same action also highlighting the project it's part of.

Does the same thing the other way too.

So how is that not what you are describing?

MJK 2008-07-02 04:09 AM

Wait, you mean when you are in planning mode with an action selected, you want to see which project it's part of?

I don't really see how that would be useful, when the name of the project is already shown as a dropdown above the list of actions in the project that you have an action selected in.

Clicking Switch twice does do that, but I don't understand when that would even be needed :)

Craig 2008-07-02 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=chinarut;39151]nope - doesn't work. it goes to the other view and just comes back.

I'm looking for a way to right-click on an action and have OF zoom in, select, and show me which project it is in in the Library.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Alex Brown's [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5443"]Reveal script[/URL] would help with what you're looking for.

curt.clifton 2008-07-02 05:29 AM

If you are grouping by something other than Folder in Planning mode, then you don't get folder information in the right-hand pane.

One way to get the folder information when you are grouping by some other property is:[LIST=1][*] Select an action or project in the right-hand pane[*] Change the grouping setting to [COLOR="SeaGreen"]Folder[/COLOR]. [*] The selected item will remain selected, but it will now be listed under its parent folder in the right-hand pane.[/LIST]

VicDiesel 2008-07-02 06:27 AM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;39159][LIST=1][*] Select an action or project in the right-hand pane[*] Change the grouping setting to Project. [*] The selected item will remain selected, but it will now be listed under its parent folder in the right-hand pane.[/LIST][/QUOTE]

You mean grouping setting to "Folder", right?

Ok, that works, but now I have to toggle that setting all of the time.

The main reason I need to find the folder is that during review I often find that I've created two tasks for the same thing. Finding what projects I created the under is rather hard.

Victor.

curt.clifton 2008-07-02 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=VicDiesel;39167]You mean grouping setting to "Folder", right?[/QUOTE]

Right, sorry about that. (Post edited for future readers.)

[QUOTE=VicDiesel;39167] The main reason I need to find the folder is that during review I often find that I've created two tasks for the same thing. Finding what projects I created the under is rather hard.[/QUOTE]

Rather than changing the view settings, another option is to double click the drag-handle next to each of the duplicate tasks. That will open new windows focused on the projects containing the tasks. You won't get folder information, but you will get project information.

chinarut 2008-07-04 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=Craig;39158]Perhaps Alex Brown's [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5443"]Reveal script[/URL] would help with what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

ok - gave the script a shot - no cigar.

basically what I often encountered during my weekly review today is I would do a search for a keyword inside a project name and would see the result on th right hand side.

I basically want to "reveal" where this project is in the Library hierarchy instead of opening up one sub-folder and the next and trying to locate it myself (what I currently need to do and can be quite tedious)

I also don't want in to focus - it just as important to see where this project is relative to everything else in the hierarchy.

is this making any sense?

I started to write a use case - if it makes a difference I can post it.

chinarut 2008-07-04 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey - as i was shutting down - i noticed I took a snapshot of my system on the way out the door to try to better communicate what I'm looking for.

what is pictured is a search on "quality" - it shows one project on the right-hand pane. it is not selected in the left-hand pane.

I would love to right-click on the project and see "Show in Library" or something along these lines.

The folders I've created have additional context so it's really important to see where it is in the hierarchy - call it location-based meta-data if u will :)

Toadling 2008-07-04 06:41 AM

[QUOTE=chinarut;39290]what is pictured is a search on "quality" - it shows one project on the right-hand pane. it is not selected in the left-hand pane.

I would love to right-click on the project and see "Show in Library" or something along these lines.[/QUOTE]

I agree! I often find my self in that same situation. That would be a great addition.

-Dennis

whpalmer4 2008-07-04 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I've gone long enough without learning anything about Applescript. Now I know just barely enough about Applescript to code up the attached script (thanks to Curt Clifton's Populate Template Placeholders for a bit of the scaffolding) which when invoked with a project selected will pop up a window showing the full path. Suggestions for improvements will likely be met with "you know where the sources are" :-)

Bill

deep32 2008-07-05 06:29 AM

Hi

If you have an action selected in Context mode, and select View after that Show in planning mode you'll be switched to Planning mode with the action selected.

chinarut 2008-07-06 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;39302]when invoked with a project selected will pop up a window showing the full path.[/QUOTE]

ok - i have to admit we have a start in regards to a workaround.

now that the path can be determined, it is trival to tell OmniFocus to reveal the project in the library?

I can't say I know enough Applescript to tinker around with this yet :/

abh19 2008-08-15 07:42 AM

I have the same need all the time!

Thanks Bill for the applescript! I'll use that for the present, until someone can figure out how to use the path to open the particular folder in the folders pane.