The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PDFs don't load: grey screen and acrobat icon (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7570)

migueld 2008-03-21 06:03 PM

PDFs don't load: grey screen and acrobat icon

PDFs aren't loading on 5.7 at all... all I see is a grey screen with the acrobat icon in the center. Is anyone experiencing this?

JKT 2008-03-22 07:16 AM

No, but I don't use Adobe Reader. ;)

Try removing the Adobe reader internet plug-in and reinstalling it (from Reader) to see if that helps.

mshalperin 2008-03-22 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=migueld;34826]PDFs aren't loading on 5.7 at all... all I see is a grey screen with the acrobat icon in the center. Is anyone experiencing this?[/QUOTE]
Acrobat Reader versions prior to 8 don't work with any browser other than Safari. Be sure you have v8 installed

migueld 2008-03-22 10:15 AM

Ahhh I see. Thank you guys.

mitchellm 2008-03-22 12:17 PM

I'm having the same problem. I have Reader 8.1.2 installed. I just upgraded to Leopard (10.5.2). In OmniWeb 5.6 I see the Acrobat icon surrounded by grey. In OmniWeb 5.7 (newest beta) I just get crashes.

Actually all I really want to do is to download the PDFs, I don't need to see them in my browser. Is there any way to accomplish this? I link to PDFs so often that if I can't solve this I'll have to switch to another browser (Camino, Firebox, Safari all work fine in this regards).

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

owuser 2008-03-22 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=mitchellm;34859]I'm having the same problem. I have Reader 8.1.2 installed. I just upgraded to Leopard (10.5.2). In OmniWeb 5.6 I see the Acrobat icon surrounded by grey. In OmniWeb 5.7 (newest beta) I just get crashes.

Actually all I really want to do is to download the PDFs, I don't need to see them in my browser. Is there any way to accomplish this? I link to PDFs so often that if I can't solve this I'll have to switch to another browser (Camino, Firebox, Safari all work fine in this regards).

Thanks for any help someone can provide.[/QUOTE]

You might try unchecking "open PDFs in the browser" under the Display section of the 5.7 beta's Preferences window.

mitchellm 2008-03-22 12:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. But I found the culprit: it seems to be one of the plugins that Acrobat installs. I got rid of that plugin and the problems have gone away!

owuser 2008-03-22 12:58 PM

Good to hear!

BigTram 2008-03-23 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=mitchellm;34861]Thanks for the suggestion. But I found the culprit: it seems to be one of the plugins that Acrobat installs. I got rid of that plugin and the problems have gone away![/QUOTE]

Can you remember which plug-in it was? I am having a similar problem.

Thanks.

BT

Ilgaz 2008-03-28 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached the setting window, make sure you disable it even if you use Safari. Adobe Reader (8.1.2) is still strange on Leopard even Adobe claims it is Leopard compatible.