The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OmniWeb 5.7 Sneaky Peeks now available. (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5434)

Schlaefer 2007-11-08 05:22 AM

With this new much to dark icon bar many icons in many applications look awkward in Leopard. It's not easy, but I clearly don't want to see metal buttons like in Safari in every App from now on.

The pro icons with their white, desatured appearance are fine, but I agree that the color icons look a little bit oversimplified.

Handycam 2007-11-08 05:26 AM

[QUOTE=Schlaefer;24148] It's not easy, but I clearly don't want to see metal buttons like in Safari in every App from now on.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't really like those metal buttons in safari too much.

The new OW icons are quite nice, IMO. However, it you're going to have a "home" button, [b]please make the browser have a "true" home page[/b] which is not the same thing as a start page.

In other words, I might want new windows to open blank, but I still want Google as my "home" page...

owuser 2007-11-08 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=dmz;24137]I don't know... am I the only one who thinks the new icons look sort of washed-out?[/QUOTE]

I like the graphite version of the buttons, to me they look unobtrusive and professional. But I would agree with you that the colored icons look washed-out, as you said.

Forrest 2007-11-08 07:31 AM

I'm looking at the graphite buttons... contrast is an issue. I also have to look more closely at the buttons to see what they are. Before I could tell by color as well as shape.

FWIW, the Leopard folder icons are horrible. I bet they change. On my 2.33 MBP, I can't even tell what some of them are with my face over the keyboard.

Jon Hicks 2007-11-08 11:40 AM

At the moment, I really dislike them, but I'm going to give them a while to see if they grow on me. They just feel like no other app on OS X - which may have been the intention (and isn't a bad thing), but they don't sit right for me at all.

andreas_g 2007-11-09 08:44 AM

i dislike the new icons. i am still using 10.4 (and will be for a while, because leopard won't install on my iBook G3 600 MHz).
i can't really imagine how they look in 10.5, but they seem just too simple. they look somehow XP-like.

Handycam 2007-11-09 10:08 AM

I'm liking the new icons. They're different, but different can be good. If OW wants to stand out, it's ok to have different icons.

One thing I can guarantee -- there's going to be no way to please everyone.

MacKevG 2007-11-10 04:34 AM

Does your icon-designer use Windows XP or Mac OS X ? -.-

Jon Hicks 2007-11-11 11:14 AM

I've lived with them for a few days now, and I'm sorry to say, I like them even less.

My feedback:
- They don't follow any style or convention on OS X. If you think "What would Panic do?" it certainly wouldn't be this.
- The detail within them is very pale and indistinct. The History, Downloads and Page Info in particular
- I do like the 'bigger/smaller' text icons as they don't have the above 2 issues, shame I never have these in my toolbar.
- Back/Next/Reload & Stop are at least easy to see what they are at a glance, as the have a strong outline, that also echoes the previous icons
- A lot of the icons ('Find on Page' in particular) look clumsy and a little childish.

Please Omnigroup, rethink this approach.

danielandrews 2007-11-11 02:49 PM

I'm assuming the bookmarks bar is something that's going to be white until 6.0? Is there not a way to get that to take on a darker shade when on Leopard?

And count me in against the new icons.