The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Notes as non-action items? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21139)

RedHotFuzz 2011-05-18 12:52 PM

Notes as non-action items?

I'd really like to see the ability to add a note to a project that is not a task/action (checkbox item). Or I'd love for someone to explain to me how to achieve this.

Say I want to update the status of a project. "Spoke with so-and-so on the phone today - our launch date is delayed 2 weeks and this is why..." I want this to be a standalone note. It's not an action item that needs completion. I don't want to check it off so it disappears. It's simply an important piece of information for my project.

Is there any way to do this in the current version of OmniFocus? If not, is there anyone else who would like to see this?

I know Nozbe offers this, but I chose OmniFocus for other reasons. I'd love to be able to do this in OF.

whpalmer4 2011-05-18 12:59 PM

Yes, you can add it to the notes field for the project. In the project view, tap on the project header to bring up the editor, then tap on the Note icon in the editor and add your note, just as you would do if adding a note to an action.

mcogilvie 2011-05-18 01:50 PM

Or define a context called 'Notes' with status set to 'on hold'. Frankly, I don't recommend this, as I find such notes should usually be waiting for's, ticklers or some other potentially actionable item. If you have a lot of such notes, you are using OF for reference, not action.

RedHotFuzz 2011-05-18 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;97666]Yes, you can add it to the notes field for the project. In the project view, tap on the project header to bring up the editor, then tap on the Note icon in the editor and add your note, just as you would do if adding a note to an action.[/QUOTE]

Good tip, I'll try that out.

[QUOTE=mcogilvie;97672]Or define a context called 'Notes' with status set to 'on hold'. Frankly, I don't recommend this, as I find such notes should usually be waiting for's, ticklers or some other potentially actionable item. If you have a lot of such notes, you are using OF for reference, not action.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm trying to use OF for complete task management. Part of those task lists may include relevant and important notes that aren't necessarily actions, but aren't really best-suited for filing away in a separate location/application.

NMi 2011-05-21 01:59 PM

And now for something different...

I think everyone comes to a point when some arbitrary info on the project needs to be remembered, and some of us use the 'notes' of the project item for that purpose. But I can propose another approach.

Chances are, the information that you want stored is related to the workflow of the project. For example, your "Spoke with so-and-so on the phone today - our launch date is delayed 2 weeks and this is why" is a result of the process "speak with John Doe and determine next steps that are needed for this project to proceed". So, give your project more actions with details!

If you see that there is no immediate 'next step' for the project, or you see that the OF shows you the next step that actually can not be done, then I suggest you sit and think. After you have come up with an idea that you have to discuss the fate of the project with another person, add an action labeled "discuss next steps with Joe" and make it the first action in the list. After you have finished the discussion, enter all important conversation detail in the notes of the "discuss" item, then change your project actions' hierarchy according to the ideas you have come up with, then check the "discuss" item complete.

If you ever need to have a spiritualistic séance with the ghosts of the past (like, "what I've been thinking of when I have set up a project this way?") - you set the View to All and see your notes in the right place - in these particular decision points.

That's the way I do it. Hope it helps.