The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Og as a file manager? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16738)

Simon Knight 2010-07-13 01:39 AM

Og as a file manager?

I have been a user of Omni Graffle for some years and up to now I have used it for producing diagrams. However, following some experiments with other software I think that my use of Omni Graffle will increase and I was wondering if anyone else is using the application in a similar way.

In the past I have relied on the Finder to manager the various files/documents that form part of a project I am working on. Recently I observed a colleague using mind mapping software to plan some work. What impressed me was his use of the mind map to store links to relevant files meaning that all the project assets were available at the click of a button.

This past weekend I have been researching and trying various mind mapping software. While many of them perform well I found the dedicated mind mapping software to restrictive in that they only do mind maps (I know there is a clue in the name)! Next I came to Curio which does mind mapping, project management and offers to store/link project assets inside its work spaces. The problem again was that I found the drawing tools rather primitive, or to put it another way I missed the features of Omni Graffle. This prompted me to assess what features I needed based on those I had found in the various applications I had tried and those that I could do with out.
Diagramming - Yes (OG does this)
Some form of Mind Mapping - Yes, I am happy with OG Brain Storming
Tables - Yes (Curio and OG do these)
Note Cards - Nice to have, (Curio does these)
Project management time scales - not required (Curio does these)
Indented Lists (OmniOutliner Style) nice to have (Curio does these well)

In OG I named my first canvas as "Home" and I gave it a shared background containing three objects designed as buttons and set to move to Previous, Home and Next canvases respectively. These buttons appear on all new canvases. The home canvas contains a diagram where the objects are set to jump the user to other canvases similar to how a web page behaves. I have also linked objects to files so that a click on the canvas opens the file in its default application. Many of the objects have had notes added to them which appear when the mouse hovers over them.

I am happy with my new found asset/project management system and while it does have limitations it works well for me. I guess that to many none of this is new but I would welcome any thoughts and comments on how to improve my system.

I have attempted to attach a small example file that allows jumps between canvases but the file is to large to post (350Kb).

best wishes

Simon