The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Why not Windows? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21426)

pico 2011-06-20 03:36 PM

Why not Windows?

I have just discovered Omnifocus and I am so disappointing that the owner of this company is limiting his revenue to only mac users.

I need to know a logical and economically sound answer to why choose to ignore the biggest market share controlled by Microsoft. Anyone?

Apple produced OSX software because they want you to buy their Apple hardware, so it makes sense that they don't want to make software compatible with windows, but Omnigroup doesn't sell hardware, so why not make Omnifocus mac/win?

I am sure the Omnigroup's owner's wife would enjoy a new Porsche every year :)

Adobe makes CS5 for win/mac... I really just want to know the logic behind Omnigroups's mac only stance.

Thanks

whpalmer4 2011-06-20 04:51 PM

Because they enjoy building Mac OS X and iOS software. If you spend any time interacting with them, you'll quickly find that they are more interested in doing a good job with the customers they have than chasing after every last possible customer and dollar. Might even notice some similarities to the company that makes the hardware on which their software runs...

Ken Case 2011-06-20 04:59 PM

At the Omni Group, our goal is not to make as much money as we can; our goal is to make the best software that we can make. To do that, we've chosen to focus our attention on the development platform which we feel makes us the most productive.

I started my career developing software for the broadest possible set of UNIX platforms in the '80s: I figured that would guarantee that I'd always be able to run the code I was writing. When I encountered the NeXT platform in 1989, I realized that it not had only a much more polished user experience than all the other UNIX platforms, it also had a much more productive development environment. I realized that I had a choice: I could spend five years writing an app with a so-so user experience for a broader audience, or I could spend those same five years writing several much more polished apps for the NeXT platform—with its much smaller audience and less certain future.

I decided I could guarantee that I would always be able to run those apps by buying my own NeXT (a significant investment at that time)—so I bought one, left my job, and started working (with Omni's co-founders) to try to help the tiny NeXT platform survive and flourish.

Fast forward a decade: in 2001, NeXT's development environment became the foundation for the new Mac OS X platform, and we considered its survival relatively assured. Fast forward a second decade: now, in 2011, that same NeXT development environment is not only the basis of the Mac platform, but also the wildly successful iPhone and iPad platforms. The development environment and user experience have continued to improve over time and are now better than ever.

Are there other successful platforms out there? Certainly! Could we make more money by bringing our software to those platforms? Maybe. But I don't think that software would be any better than what we've already made, and it would distract us from improving the software we've written. And again, our goal is not to make the most money—it's to make the best software.

So, just as I chose twenty years ago to focus my attention on the tiny NeXT platform (which sold fewer systems in its entire history than Apple's iPad sold in its first weekend), we've now chosen to focus our collective attention on what that platform has become—Apple's Mac OS X, iPhone, and iPad platforms—platforms where we feel we can make our software the best it can be.

pico 2011-06-20 05:24 PM

Ken,
Thank you for you reply.

I see your point and I understand what you are saying.

You should not venture into windows OS if that will compromise your OSX development. However, I think you haven't lurked the forums enough to see that there is BIG demand for Omnifocus for Windows. You have created a FINE product.
I am sure that you could hire a team of coders to implement the same philosophy and functionality of Omnifocus for mac into a windows version. I am not aware of your net from this product or how big your company is, but as a smart business person you are, making the investment to hire a windows team to make this available for windows can only be a win win situation for you and the billions of windows users.

You are the omnifocus guy.. you should be able to GTD your way into windows and move both platforms forward at the same speed. :) I'm sure you can.. I'll be happy to beta test your efforts in anonymity and report to you only :)

I own a macbook and have Win7 desktop, many user deal with a setup from Work on windows and mac at home. Omnifocus sounded incredible, but I do most of my daily work on my PC, so it is not worth buying it just to have it on my laptop... hopefully you see the need for windows and are able to "adapt" your philosophy as your business grows and have excellent products for both platforms. Like adobe does. Take care

wilsonng 2011-06-20 06:14 PM

I think one other way the OmniGroup is spreading their wings is through the iOS market with their iPhone and iPad versions of their product line.

If carrying a MacBook to work isn't suitable then perhaps using the iPad version would be a decent substitute. The iPad and iPhone is certainly portable enough..... Pair the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard and things become so much easier.

I know that there are still a few things that are easier to do on the desktop version or there are a couple of missing features (creating perspectives, anyone?). But I think that OmniGroup will eventually address those issues so that OmniPad for iPad/iPhone will be on par with the desktop version's feature set.

With Steve Job's vision of the post-PC era, I can definitely see OmniFocus for iPad/iPhone as part of that vision. No more need to be tethered to OmniFocus anymore.....

Everybody thinks that crossplatforming an application is a simple task. Just recode and compile, right? If only that were true. It's not so easy to switch gears....

devastat 2011-06-20 10:15 PM

Perhaps there will be some kind of web platform in the future, which could be a solution for users who has to deal with windows as well.

tep 2011-06-21 06:36 PM

I've seen really good Mac developers try to make a Windows port of their software. Usually, the Windows version looks terrible and the interface atrocious. Not because the mac developer is lazy, it's that the API's for Windows (whether using Winforms, Win32, or WPF) don't offer elegant animations and UI elements, so the interface ends up looking clunky and odd.

Take 1Password from Agile. It's a superb interface on Mac but when you look at the WIndows version, it's obvious the Windows elements don't translate well and it looks ugly in comparison.

hmurchison 2011-06-22 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=pico;98752]I have just discovered Omnifocus and I am so disappointing that the owner of this company is limiting his revenue to only mac users.

I need to know a logical and economically sound answer to why choose to ignore the biggest market share controlled by Microsoft. Anyone?

Apple produced OSX software because they want you to buy their Apple hardware, so it makes sense that they don't want to make software compatible with windows, but Omnigroup doesn't sell hardware, so why not make Omnifocus mac/win?

Adobe makes CS5 for win/mac... I really just want to know the logic behind Omnigroups's mac only stance.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

1. Those that know Omni know they've been working with Unix based platforms since the days when "Going Windows" was considered a no brainer. Today you can make a whole lot of money and never have to deliver one Windows product.

2. Apple produces OS X software because they want computing to be something everyone can do easily not because they wish to sell hardware. Those serious about their software should be designing their own hardware to maximize the impact.

3. What makes you think that Ken's wife can't already have a Porsche every year?

4. Some would say that Adobe's software has peaked long ago and the fact that it's cross platform has done little to leverage platform strengths on both sides.

A decade ago the "but but Windows has marketshare" mantra would work but today it's about multiple devices in a computing environment. Apple is strong here with the ability to leverage your OS X product with the most popular mobile environment in iOS.

As Apple's success has risen so have the prospects for Mac only developers that focused their efforts on being the big fish in a small pond.

atreinke 2011-06-23 01:47 AM

[QUOTE=hmurchison;98823]
3. What makes you think that Ken's wife can't already have a Porsche every year?
[/QUOTE]

Let's hope Kens wife doesn't read the forums... (for Kens sake)

devastat 2011-06-23 09:33 AM

A good example of this is YNAB, aka you need a budget. It works on both windows and osx beautifully. Tho it has been coded with Adobe Air.

Deedubau 2011-06-23 07:09 PM

After now owning an iMac (and Macbook pro) I'm starting to see why many Mac only software don't have Windows alternatives. There's a certain level of visual aesthetic and consistency you see in most (if not all) Mac software and it makes many Windows software look plain and boring in comparison. Right now I'm extremely pleased with the iPhone 1.10 update (minus how completed inbox items still disappear right after you check them off which drives me nuts) and I'm a little disappointed that Omnifocus looks a bit subpar than many great apps for the Mac out there. But I'm sure Omnifocus 2 will address that issue though :)

whpalmer4 2011-06-23 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=Deedubau;98854]After now owning an iMac (and Macbook pro) I'm starting to see why many Mac only software don't have Windows alternatives. There's a certain level of visual aesthetic and consistency you see in most (if not all) Mac software and it makes many Windows software look plain and boring in comparison.
[/quote]
Not only did the Mac team put a lot of effort into the appearance of the Apple software, they put a lot of effort into making sure other developers could and would do the same for their own software. Sit down to build a Mac application and there are plenty of examples of how to do something that looks good and works well, and the bar is set high. On the Windows side, well...the same thing happens, except Microsoft left the bar on the floor :-)
[quote]
Right now I'm extremely pleased with the iPhone 1.10 update (minus how completed inbox items still disappear right after you check them off which drives me nuts)[/QUOTE]
When do you want them to disappear? If you set the "Clean Up completed Inbox items" preference in the Data section of the Mac OmniFocus preferences, they should stay visible until you switch views. This is one of the preferences that gets synced.

nailen 2011-06-24 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=pico;98752]I have just discovered Omnifocus and I am so disappointing that the owner of this company is limiting his revenue to only mac users.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Fortunately for Mac & Omni users not everyone is shallow.

Microsoft’s motivation has always been about making money. Apple’s has always been about making a difference in the world. Omni's is about creating the best software.

In 1994 James Collins and Jerry Porras pointed out in Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies, that as a group companies motivated by a cause greater than merely profit end up over the long term outperforming companies solely dedicated to making money.

The result of this epic paradigm war between the two giants of the PC era has reaffirmed their study once again in no uncertain terms. Such an overarching motivation underlying a company’s strategy does not need this external validation, following one's passion is worth doing for it’s own sake, but it’s sure as hell gratifying when it happens.

Windows is a dying platform in the post-PC era. It's so last Tuesday. Omni is wise to focus on post-PC devices such as the iPhone and iPad. If they were to venture into other platforms the growing Android OS would be a better choice, but I'm glad they're focusing on the Apple platforms.

devastat 2011-06-25 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=nailen;98903]Windows is a dying platform in the post-PC era. It's so last Tuesday. Omni is wise to focus on post-PC devices such as the iPhone and iPad.[/QUOTE]

That's quite a strong statement regarding the fact that 90% of the computers in the world are PCs. Lots of Mac users also has Windows 7 installed on their computer via parallel. Also some PC users has OSX installed.

In any case the computer world is leaning towards cloud computing, soon it doesn't really matter what computer you use - so if anything's last Tuesday it's the whole "Mac vs PC" debate.

nailen 2011-06-25 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=devastat;98916]In any case the computer world is leaning towards cloud computing, soon it doesn't really matter what computer you use - so if anything's last Tuesday it's the whole "Mac vs PC" debate.[/QUOTE]

That's what the post-PC era is.

devastat 2011-06-25 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=nailen;98936]That's what the post-PC era is.[/QUOTE]

Well, it doesn't mean that windows is a "dying platform" or "last tuesday" any more than OS X, what it means is that it doesn't matter whether you are using a mac or a pc as you are using universal software that works on all platforms from an existing cloud.

..and all that iPad can ever replace is netbooks, and in that it has succeeded well.

nailen 2011-06-26 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=devastat;98944]Well, it doesn't mean that windows is a "dying platform" or "last tuesday" any more than OS X, what it means is that it doesn't matter whether you are using a mac or a pc as you are using universal software that works on all platforms from an existing cloud.

..and all that iPad can ever replace is netbooks, and in that it has succeeded well.[/QUOTE]

It's happening all around you. You can feel it when you go to work, when you pay your taxes.

When you look across the spectrum of computing devices, desktop/laptop, tablet, smartphone, web servers, mainframes, and supercomputers, not only is Windows losing market share overall, as indicated by this chart combining PC and post-PC consumer operating systems capable of accessing the internet, it's losing market share in every single category without exception, which is why it's overall market share is declining so rapidly. No wonder Windows programmers are scrambling to learn Objective-C while those wise enough to choose a winning platform have a multi-year head start on them.

CHART OF THE DAY: Microsoft's Crumbling Empire
[url]http://static8.businessinsider.com/image/4c0825be7f8b9a91211a0200/chart-of-the-day-pc-market-share-microsoft.gif[/url]

[url]http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-pcs-market-share-microsoft-vs-the-rest-2010-6[/url]

As you can see, Window's market share has declined from about 95% in 2000 to just 70% in 2010 and an estimated 50% in 2011 because of the explosion of smartphones dominated by iOS and Android. This chart doesn't even include the rapidly growing tablet segment where iOS has a market share of around 90%.

And if you think this chart looks bad, you should see what's happening over on the server side (the cloud) where Windows IIS has declined from about 40% in 2007 to less than 17% today while the open source Apache server is now at 65%, and in supercomputers where among the top 500 fastest supercomputers Windows has a market share of 1% while Linux is at 92% according to the TOP500 project.

In what segment is Windows [I]not[/I] in decline?

This trend is heartening because we see that open source flavors of UNIX (Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc.) are beating proprietary profit-driven flavors of Windows across the board as well as in every category, especially the fastest growing post-PC categories of smartphones and tablets as well as in the server category (the cloud) that mobile post-PC devices access.

devastat 2011-06-26 04:18 PM

Well, it is true that more and more people are using mobile devices to browse the web and read e-mails, and it might also be that windows users are declining among the end-users as more and more youngsters are getting new macbook pros.

However, the reality is that most of the corporate world uses windows and it's not going anywhere nor is it a [I]dying platform[/I]. In fact according to this article: [url]http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2011/06/windows-xp-apple-enterprise.php[/url] 60% of Corporate desktops are still using Windows XP!

From a personal point-of-view: it doesn't really matter wheter I use a Mac or a PC as 90% of software works on both platforms. I use a macbook pro because I love the design and the engineering behind the laptop and the simplicity of OS X in my everyday life.

For work I use a powerful desktop PC as I can get 3x the power for the same price, as well as all parts that might go into the computer are cheaper and there is more variety. Windows 7 is the first windows I actually like. Sofware I miss when I use PC is Final Cut Studio, Omnifocus and OmniOutliner, but that's about it. Everything else I use is universal.

Venture 2011-09-18 04:22 PM

(Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is an important discussion).

I'm not interested in a discussion about "this platform is better than that one," or "this platform is dying." Childish if you ask me. I'm a Mac user by choice at home, but at work, my corporation uses Windows. I've been dying to try Omnifocus for quite some time, but use Toodledo because I can use it on all my machines. I understand where Ken is coming from. It's just a shame that there are surely lots of Mac users in the same boat - can't use the app because they must use Windows elsewhere.

kingsinger 2011-09-18 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=Venture;101956](Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is an important discussion).

I'm not interested in a discussion about "this platform is better than that one," or "this platform is dying." Childish if you ask me. I'm a Mac user by choice at home, but at work, my corporation uses Windows. I've been dying to try Omnifocus for quite some time, but use Toodledo because I can use it on all my machines. I understand where Ken is coming from. It's just a shame that there are surely lots of Mac users in the same boat - can't use the app because they must use Windows elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's a shame there isn't at least a web-based component. Then I could use it on my android phone and from my netbook along with my macs.

imlad 2011-09-19 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=kingsinger;101958]Yes, it's a shame there isn't at least a web-based component. Then I could use it on my android phone and from my netbook along with my macs.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. It would be very neat if there were a Web version of the application - the way that EverNote makes a web version of its application. Just my two groschen...

Daniel.

DrJJWMac 2011-09-19 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Venture;101956] ... It's just a shame that there are surely lots of Mac users in the same boat - can't use the app because they must use Windows elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Interesting to invert this discussion and get in a time machine going back say 15-20 years when the shoe was on the other foot so to speak. The Mac community took its own full share of snubbings from software developers who sometimes rather blatantly refused to develop Macintosh versions of their DOS/Windows-only apps. That did not prevent Mac users from using their Macs and using every piece of (usually better) software they could find on it, even though they _had_ to use DOS/Windows elsewhere.

--
JJW

Venture 2011-09-19 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=DrJJWMac;101982]Interesting to invert this discussion and get in a time machine going back say 15-20 years when the shoe was on the other foot so to speak. The Mac community took its own full share of snubbings from software developers who sometimes rather blatantly refused to develop Macintosh versions of their DOS/Windows-only apps. That did not prevent Mac users from using their Macs and using every piece of (usually better) software they could find on it, even though they _had_ to use DOS/Windows elsewhere.

--
JJW[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought. I'm not sure it's an exact inverse comparison. I don't HAVE to use my Macs like those Windows users of old had to use Windows. I bought my Macs because I like them, and I'm just trying to fit my Mac world into a world that was then and is now largely Windows-based. This particular hurdle is just eliminating one Mac app from my potential arsenal. I'm pretty happy with Toodledo, but have just heard great things about Omnifocus. Since 75% of my use for such an app is for my job (which uses Windows), it doesn't make sense for me to get an app that I can't easily access on that job, be it through the web or a native Windows app.

Again, I completely understand where the Omnifocus folks are coming from, and that is their right (obviously) to make that decision, but it still is a shame that many Mac users are shut out.

Brian 2011-09-19 03:21 PM

FWIW, a web-based version of OmniFocus is something we've discussed working on. We don't have any folks available to throw at such a project right now, but maybe someday.

In the meantime, if you know any talented Cocoa developers in the Seattle area that haven't already been snapped up, please point them at our jobs page. ;-)

SteveWB 2011-12-28 08:08 AM

The issue is not about how much money you can or cannot make. It is about supporting people who would like to use your application, but also use Windows because they have to at their jobs or at home. Entering data on a virtual keyboard is not efficient. There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.

whpalmer4 2011-12-28 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=SteveWB;105427]There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.[/QUOTE]
Undoubtedly true, but why stop there? What about all the people who would be better organized with OmniFocus on their desktops, but don't have a spare $80 to buy the application? What about all the people who can't run Windows, either? Is it really Omni's obligation to cater to everyone? It's not like they are the only game in town!

wilsonng 2011-12-28 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=SteveWB;105427].....Entering data on a virtual keyboard is not efficient. There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.[/QUOTE]

You can always use a bluetooth keyboard paired with the iPad or iPhone as well.....

RobTrew 2011-12-29 03:25 AM

[QUOTE=SteveWB;105427]The issue is not about how much money you can or cannot make.[/QUOTE]

It probably ought to be.

Money is a time-tested aggregator of incommensurate values, and a great simplifier of complex decisions. Unsustainable support, even of many millions, soon becomes quite hard to distinguish from no support to anyone at all.

gazhayes 2012-01-01 07:30 AM

There are already a number of web based apps that support GTD much more completely than OF does, they just don't look as nice.

OF's major selling point for me is that it works VERY well on desktop, tablet, and phone, keeping in perfect sync without needing a solid data connection all the time, and it does this on all these devices in a sleek and user friendly manner.

Nothing else meets on the market really meets this need as well as OF.

If they were to release a Windows version, it would have to be a LOT better than all the other Windows and Web only competitors for anyone to use it (considering they are generally a lot cheaper than OF, or even free), and that is going to be an uphill battle. They would also probably need to release an Android and Windows Mobile app to go with it to remain competitive. Otherwise the only Windows users they get will be people who already have the Mac version but want (for example) something to sync with it at their Windows only workplace. It would be tough to make something financially viable.

Personally I would love a Windows version too, but also personally I would not want to risk funding it's development.

ArchiMark 2012-12-21 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=SteveWB;105427]The issue is not about how much money you can or cannot make. It is about supporting people who would like to use your application, but also use Windows because they have to at their jobs or at home. Entering data on a virtual keyboard is not efficient. There are millions of people who could be better organized if they could use OmniFocus on their desktops.[/QUOTE]

+1.....

For better or worse, I have to use a Windows laptop at work, no option to use Macs...

The 'good news' is that company recently allowed me to get an iPad and iPhone....

So, now I wish I could use a Windows version of OF.....and then on iPad and iPhone....

Have read all the various threads and posts on this subject here on the forums from the past year or so....but just want to reinforce the idea that for those of us that don't have the Mac option at work, a Windows version would be great and I don't mind if it doesn't look exactly like the Mac version, I'm not a purist and got over long time ago all the 'philosophical BS' about only using Macs. The main point is to have my 3 devices all run OF....

To be clear, I do love the Mac platform and when possible I prefer to use it and have done so at home since '86 and when I had my own business (closed 9 yrs ago...).

If my company gave me option to use a Mac, I would do so and then would not have this issue. Unfortunately, this will not happen and don't want to change jobs for at least a few more years....

While a web based solution is better than nothing, for various reasons, don't like depending upon the web and access to it to run a program....

It seems clear that for Omni Group's own reasons, they probably won't ever develop a Windows version, think it's a short-sighted decision when it comes to a program that is appropriate for use in the workplace where a lot of PC's are in use...

Just my 2¢.....of course, YMMV.....

;)

whpalmer4 2012-12-21 06:09 PM

If someone really wanted to cash on this vast, untapped "OmniFocus for Windows" market, there isn't much stopping them. Omni has been fairly open about describing the sync mechanism's workings, and the file format is pretty straightforward. There's still a lot of work to do — it took Omni quite a while to build the Mac app and iOS apps, and they had substantial volumes of code that could be reused instead of being written from scratch. For me, it is difficult to avoid coming to the conclusion that a team which could build an OmniFocus client for Windows (or as a web app) in a reasonable timeframe could probably make more money (and/or have more fun, I suspect) doing something else. Now, I suppose it is true that many such teams may be completely unaware of this potential business opportunity. They probably don't read this forum :-) Omni itself would seem to be the ideal candidate, but they appear to have little interest. They don't appear to be uninterested in pocketing our disposable income, so once again the conclusion is that they've considered it and decided the resources are better employed elsewhere.

Have you considered using just the iPad and iPhone at work, with your Mac at home? With the new Omni Sync Server dropbox feature, it's easier than ever to get stuff into OmniFocus from unsupported devices.

RobTrew 2012-12-21 07:30 PM

The costs and challenges of porting are easily underestimated – even spanning two rather closely related platforms (OS X and iOS) has left the resources of the Omnigroup discernibly stretched … ([I]iPad ergo et cætera[/I]).

This kind of discussion always comes up, but in practice a Windows port [URL="http://taskwarrior.org/boards/6/topics/2164"]seems to have defeated[/URL] (for the moment) even the (technically rather proficient) enthusiasts of TaskWarrior, which has quite a simple command line interface ...

ArchiMark 2012-12-21 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;118580]If someone really wanted to cash on this vast, untapped "OmniFocus for Windows" market, there isn't much stopping them. Omni has been fairly open about describing the sync mechanism's workings, and the file format is pretty straightforward. There's still a lot of work to do — it took Omni quite a while to build the Mac app and iOS apps, and they had substantial volumes of code that could be reused instead of being written from scratch. For me, it is difficult to avoid coming to the conclusion that a team which could build an OmniFocus client for Windows (or as a web app) in a reasonable timeframe could probably make more money (and/or have more fun, I suspect) doing something else. Now, I suppose it is true that many such teams may be completely unaware of this potential business opportunity. They probably don't read this forum :-) Omni itself would seem to be the ideal candidate, but they appear to have little interest. They don't appear to be uninterested in pocketing our disposable income, so once again the conclusion is that they've considered it and decided the resources are better employed elsewhere. [/QUOTE]

Good points....

[QUOTE]Have you considered using just the iPad and iPhone at work, with your Mac at home? With the new Omni Sync Server dropbox feature, it's easier than ever to get stuff into OmniFocus from unsupported devices. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm.......nope, hadn't thought of that.... ;-)

Interesting idea....although, more work at home.....after work....hmmmmm..........

ArchiMark 2012-12-21 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=RobTrew;118581]The costs and challenges of porting are easily underestimated – even spanning two rather closely related platforms (OS X and iOS) has left the resources of the Omnigroup discernibly stretched … ([I]iPad ergo et cætera[/I]). [/QUOTE]

True....but other companies do it......from what I've read, I'd guess the Omni team really isn't that interested in dealing with it....ie, not a high priority for them....which is certainly their right....just not helpful for me and others that need/want other solution....

[QUOTE]
This kind of discussion always comes up, but in practice a Windows port [URL="http://taskwarrior.org/boards/6/topics/2164"]seems to have defeated[/URL] (for the moment) even the (technically rather proficient) enthusiasts of TaskWarrior, which has quite a simple command line interface ... [/QUOTE]

TaskWarrior, I know it well.....greatl little CLI program....have used it on various platforms...while there isn't a Windows port per se, you can run it on a Windows machine by installing Cygwin and then running it from there....worked fine that way....

Now if there was a iPad and iPhone version of TW, I'd be all set..... ;-)

So it goes.....

whpalmer4 2012-12-21 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=ArchiMark;118586]
Interesting idea....although, more work at home.....after work....hmmmmm..........[/QUOTE]

Why is it more work at home? I'm assuming you want to use OmniFocus both for work-related and personal stuff. Do the work stuff while at work, and hopefully OmniFocus gains you sufficient efficiency to offset the time spent fiddling with it. The personal stuff you do on your own time. You get all your tasks in one place, you don't have to learn an additional system for tracking your work-related tasks, how is this not better than the alternative?

My last employer long ago discovered that providing engineers with duplicate work environments at home and paying the ISP bill would result in most of them spending lots of extra hours on work for no additional compensation cost, so you're probably getting off easy :-)

If you do proceed down this path, I recommend that you separate your work and personal projects into separate folders. Then create perspectives on the Mac which focus on one of the folders. There's an option in the perspectives window that allows you to specify whether the perspective shows in context or project mode; you want context mode. Make one that groups by project and sorts by project — this will give you a close approximation to the normal project view. Also make one that groups by context and sorts by due — this will give you a view of tasks separated out by context (so you can easily determine which tasks you can work on) and present them in due date order (so you can see what needs to be done first). These perspectives will largely make up for the lack of project mode perspectives on the iOS apps as far as doing the work is concerned, and by having them focus on either the work or personal folder, you'll only see the tasks relating to that focus in the resulting views. When you get to work, you open one of the work-focused perspectives, and your personal tasks will be out of sight. Go home, pull up a personal perspective, and all the work-related tasks disappear.

ArchiMark 2012-12-22 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;118591]Why is it more work at home? I'm assuming you want to use OmniFocus both for work-related and personal stuff. Do the work stuff while at work, and hopefully OmniFocus gains you sufficient efficiency to offset the time spent fiddling with it. The personal stuff you do on your own time. You get all your tasks in one place, you don't have to learn an additional system for tracking your work-related tasks, how is this not better than the alternative? [/QUOTE]

Thank you for the input....makes sense....so, yes, sounds better....

[QUOTE]My last employer long ago discovered that providing engineers with duplicate work environments at home and paying the ISP bill would result in most of them spending lots of extra hours on work for no additional compensation cost, so you're probably getting off easy :-)[/QUOTE]

Yep.....I do have company laptop that I can take home and have remote access to network capability....but I try to avoid using it at home most of the time... ;-)

[QUOTE]If you do proceed down this path, I recommend that you separate your work and personal projects into separate folders. Then create perspectives on the Mac which focus on one of the folders. There's an option in the perspectives window that allows you to specify whether the perspective shows in context or project mode; you want context mode. Make one that groups by project and sorts by project — this will give you a close approximation to the normal project view. Also make one that groups by context and sorts by due — this will give you a view of tasks separated out by context (so you can easily determine which tasks you can work on) and present them in due date order (so you can see what needs to be done first). These perspectives will largely make up for the lack of project mode perspectives on the iOS apps as far as doing the work is concerned, and by having them focus on either the work or personal folder, you'll only see the tasks relating to that focus in the resulting views. When you get to work, you open one of the work-focused perspectives, and your personal tasks will be out of sight. Go home, pull up a personal perspective, and all the work-related tasks disappear. [/QUOTE]

Excellent advice, thanks again!.....will have to try this....

BwanaZulia 2012-12-26 06:49 AM

Not that I have a vote, but there are plenty of developers (thousands) who develop for Windows and not OSX so I am more than happy to keep OmniGroup 100% pure OS.

It already takes long enough between release of their software, so if I had to wait another 2 years for an OSX update because they were doing a "push to windows" I would not be happy.

BZ