The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Bug Reports (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   5.6: CPU thrashing after Leopard update (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5927)

Clytie 2007-11-29 04:19 AM

5.6: CPU thrashing after Leopard update

Hi everyone :)

Since upgrading to Leopard last week, I have spent most of my time trying to fix its effects.

One of them seems to be that Omniweb, even when supposedly inactive in the background, will suddenly hog the CPU. The only way to stop it is to Quit it, or ForceQuit it if it is particularly unresponsive.

I'm doing this several times an hour, which is excessive.

Console has no comment. There is no activity that I can find, which is puzzling.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I know CPU-hogging problems with Omniweb have been discussed before, but this is a sudden change following the Leopard update. Prior to the update, Omniweb was a good citizen on my MacBook.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

troyb 2007-11-30 09:28 AM

Hi Clytie, we haven't really been seeing reports of this or experienced any new performance issues in Leopard. Can you send us a sample of OmniWeb?

Open up Activity Monitor, Find OmniWeb in the list, press the sample button in the toolbar (if you don't see this button you can also find it in the new window created by double clicking on OmniWeb).

Once the sample completes, save it to disk and send it to our support ninjas by using the Send Feedback link in the help menu. We'll take a look at it!

Thanks

Clytie 2007-12-01 03:54 AM

Ooh, that was nasty: this time it ran the CPU temperature up to 88ºC: I only noticed because I smelt plastic burning.

I've sent the sample via Send Feedback...

troyb 2007-12-01 03:11 PM

Clytie, you use speed download don't you? If you remove the plug-in from your ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/ folder do you still have problems?

philonous 2007-12-03 11:10 AM

Although I haven't had problems that are as drastic, I can say that the 5.7 SPs have been far less peppy than Safari 3. In fact, after about a day, again, I have to shut down OW just because switching to it from another app is incredibly slow.

I have reduced my history to 2 days, and that is helping me avoid large history.ox files, but performance is still less than optimal.

Payam

Clytie 2007-12-03 10:13 PM

Do you think it has anything to do with SD? I ask because these events don't occur after a download: I know the kind of event you mean, and that used to occur, but doesn't seem to anymore. The download page simply closes, doesn't stay open and hog the CPU.

By contrast, the events I mention occur when OW is in the background.

troyb 2007-12-04 09:00 AM

Hi Clytie,

I'm not sure, but I did take a peek at your sample when you sent it in. It looks like there is plug-in stuff happening and I thought I recalled you used SD so that was my first guess.