The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Bug Reports (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Two small bugs in 5.7 (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7781)

manu_lazard 2008-04-14 04:58 AM

Two small bugs in 5.7

I already reported these two small bugs but they haven't been corrected:
- Press Cmd-O. Omniweb asks for a Internet address to open. If you want to cancel this, Esc is the usual way to go... but ineffective here.
- Press Shift-Cmd-O. Omniweb asks for a file to open. Go to list view, select a file with the arrow keys or the mouse and press Enter to open it... nothing happens... you have to click on the Open button.

Regards,
Emmanuel

Forrest 2008-04-14 07:56 AM

1. Try command+.

2. Strange, works fine for me. I tried both return and enter, both opened the file.

manu_lazard 2008-04-14 01:25 PM

1. Yes maybe, but Esc is much more natural and easier... '.' isn't a direct key on French keyboard, Shift is needed.

2. Did you try in list view?

Forrest 2008-04-14 01:34 PM

1. Ah, ok. Command+. has been the standard cancel command for as long as I can remember... but when you take international keyboards into account, I can see why that's an issue.

2. Sorry, I missed that. Same problem when I use list view (I always use column view so I didn't notice at first.)

I assume you submitted these via email as well?

pergesu 2008-04-14 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=Forrest;35722]1. Ah, ok. Command+. has been the standard cancel command for as long as I can remember... but when you take international keyboards into account, I can see why that's an issue.[/QUOTE]

fwiw, esc has been my standard cancel key for as long as I can remember. I'd never even heard of cmd+. until now.

manu_lazard 2008-04-14 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=Forrest;35722]1. Ah, ok. Command+. has been the standard cancel command for as long as I can remember... but when you take international keyboards into account, I can see why that's an issue.

2. Sorry, I missed that. Same problem when I use list view (I always use column view so I didn't notice at first.)

I assume you submitted these via email as well?[/QUOTE]

I can't figure out why someone would prefer command+. (at least 2 keys) over escape...
Yes they were submitted by email some months ago...

JKT 2008-04-14 11:31 PM

Cmd + . was the default in the Classic OS for aborting actions, fwiw. Odd that an app with NeXT heritage like OmniWeb would have it as a keystroke over Esc (but I think that is likely to be a bug rather than a conscious decision).

Forrest 2008-04-15 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=pergesu;35732]fwiw, esc has been my standard cancel key for as long as I can remember. I'd never even heard of cmd+. until now.[/QUOTE]

The classic OS, at least back through OS 7, when something was processing a dialog used to show something like "press [command]+. to cancel"

[QUOTE=manu_lazard;35734]I can't figure out why someone would prefer command+. (at least 2 keys) over escape...
Yes they were submitted by email some months ago...[/QUOTE]

I don't have to move the position of my hands to hit command+.

To hit escape, I have to move my whole hand.

At any rate, I'm not saying the bug isn't valid, just pointing out another long-standing method of doing the same thing (which is easier for me.)