The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How to completely remove Omnifocus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5623)

StylinAtPenn 2007-11-18 06:38 AM

How to completely remove Omnifocus

Following an attempted clean of my system, where I deleted the cache folder. Perhaps not the wisest idea, but it's what I did. Anyway, All my information was gone in OF, and when I tried to revert to backup, all the projects were there, but no actions. I found a file with my actions, but I have not been able to get OF to open to that file automatically, I have to open OF through said file to be functional.

What I want to do is to completely remove all traces of OF and then reinstall it, can someone tell me how? So far I have tried twice, but some preferences or something was stored through the uninstall.

Thank You.

seamusk 2007-11-18 07:37 AM

I would also like to know how to do this. I messed up and need to reset the task info from iCal. Or is there another way to do that?

CatOne 2007-11-18 11:45 AM

Remove ~/Library/Application Support/OmmiFocus and ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.omnifocus

as well as OF from your /Applications directory.

(the ~/Library/Application Support/Omnifocus is the one with your projects in it; that's the most important one).

seamusk 2007-11-18 02:09 PM

thanks. That did it.

oops. Not it didn't. I cannot figure it out but I cannot seem to prevent omnifocus from duplicating all of my todos whenever I synch with iCal. I tried deleting omnifocus and all of the support files, but I go back in and do a fresh install and I hit clean up and bam, there are 4 copies of every todo back in OmniFocus. I've managed to keep the multiplication out of iCal (thank god) but how do I fix this?

Tim Wood 2007-11-18 07:20 PM

Just to consolidate the info; the files we currently write are:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist -- your preferences
~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus -- current "real" document + perspectives
~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -- optimized cache; can be blown away when OmniFocus isn't running and it'll get rebuilt
~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -- Spotlight index files; can also be deleted when OmniFocus isn't running to force a rebuild.
~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups -- default location for periodic backups
~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions/Send to OmniFocus.scpt -- installed at launch
~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/clientdata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -- installed on our behalf by SyncServices; shouldn't touch this directly

seamusk 2007-11-19 06:40 AM

ok, thanks for the info Tim. I think that it must be the sync services that is the problem. But you say not to touch that directory. So what should I do? It is clear to me after trying to run cleanup without first synching with iCal that the multiplication of todos is coming via sync services. Can I delete the omnifocus file there somehow?

I believe that I may have solved this issue by clearing the sync history in iSync. I'll know for sure soon.

seamusk 2007-11-19 09:55 AM

I wound up having to manually delete a bunch of tasks and I'm still not sure if my problems are entirely fixed. I did have a conflict with Contactizer I think so I deleted it since I don't use it.

ma77or7iz 2014-01-21 09:24 AM

Tim,

I need to uninstall and re-install as well. This post is quite old but does it still stand for uninstall of 1.10.6 (App Store version)?

Also, can you confirm that backing up the database (~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus) and restoring it once re-installed is all I need to do once the new install is done?

Thanks!

Matt

Lizard 2014-01-21 11:02 AM

Why do you need to uninstall and reinstall?
(It's rare that one actually needs to remove all of those things, more often just the preferences file or the app itself.)

I can't think of anything that's changed since Tim's list above.
To restore, you may want to also restore ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist (which stores your sync settings, keyboard shortcuts, and such).

DrJJWMac 2014-01-21 01:40 PM

App Zapper!

[url]http://www.appzapper.com[/url]