The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Applying OmniFocus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Ad hoc ('today', etc.) list implementation (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12540)

omnibob 2009-05-16 07:18 AM

Ad hoc ('today', etc.) list implementation

I want to create a Perspective that is an ad hoc list of Actions, and that is not based (at least not strictly) on due date, Context, etc. Primarily I want to to see things that I wish to accomplish on a Saturday (or this weekend).

NOTES:

Before posting, I did search on / scan this topic, so my intent is less about asking for OF tagging, and more about how to best implement this in OF today.

I am aware that GTD proposes to scan lists for what can/should be best done now (i.e., keep things dynamic), act, repeat, and aided by context and next action lists; and specifically in OF, start and due dates, etc., are useful. However I also believe that once these scanning plus filtering methods are used -- rather than trying to keep going back to one's trusted system and re-checking long lists throughout the day -- it is sometimes useful to have a list established for the day that reflects what you want to get done, and can of course be influenced by context, energy, weather, desire, etc. I find this especially valuable on the weekends, or evenings.

I am aware that GTD proposes that hard landscape items be put in one's calendar. But my 'today' type list is not 'must be done' on a certain date. Additionally, I want to keep these Actions in OF.

TWO METHODS I'M LOOKING AT

1) I created a SAL that I call: "Today, soon". I use the Notes field of the SAL.

1a) I type in things I want to get done. Disadvantage: The things I type are redundant with OF Actions.

1b) I open two windows, one with the SAL and the cursor placed in the Notes field, then drag Actions of interest into the Notes field as aliases. Disadvantages: A) Kludgy; requires careful dragging of Actions (if there is a mouse-up during the drag, the Notes field loses focus and the Action can't be dragged into the Notes field as an alias (I have an enhancement request in to allow the Notes field to 'open up' when an Action is dragged over it)), and it requires two windows to be jockeyed. B) When Actions are clicked on, they show up, but so do other Actions from the same Project or SAL.

2) Tagging. I'm thinking of tagging Actions with something that wouldn't likely otherwise show up, like: "•••". Then have a Perspective that shows these items (and of course I can further use filtering for "Available", etc.) I could later do a search and replace to clean things up.

In one post Curt mentioned dragging Actions into another window (this was in response to someone who created a separate list to carry with him). This could be useful for a paper list, but I'm (also) interested in keeping it dynamic, so that I can check things off when done.

Bob

curt.clifton 2009-05-16 10:43 AM

Bob,

If you aren't using flags for anything else, you could use flagging to add things to your ad hoc list.

For your tagging idea, the search field includes matches in the notes of actions/projects, so you could put your "tag" in the notes. A quick Applescript could be used to add/remove the tag text. Put that script in your toolbar and you've got a custom toggle switch. Custom meta-data would make this more robust.

omnibob 2009-05-16 10:48 AM

Thanks, Curt.

I currently have a different use for flags, but thanks for he heads up on that. I'm going to try out your custom tagging idea, see how it goes. Good stuff.

Bob

jbkendrick 2009-05-16 04:36 PM

Routine for determining weekly and today's tasks

I have a routine that might be helpful. During my weekly review at the beginning of the week I flag all the tasks I need/want to get done that week. Then each day I open my flagged perspective and assign a duration of 5 min to each task I want to get done that day. I then open my today perspective which shows flagged items with a duration of 5 min and that is the list I work from for the rest of the day. Next day, I do the same thing, open flagged and set the duration of the tasks I need to get done to 5 min.

If I finish everything, which is highly unlikely, then I just go back to the flagged list and set some more 5 min tasks. Also, whenever I process my inbox, I'll flag any tasks for completion during this week, and if any new action must be done today I just give it a duration of 5 min.

This routine of course will only work if you don't use durations for their intended purpose, I don't. John

whpalmer4 2009-05-16 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=omnibob;59928]I want to create a Perspective that is an ad hoc list of Actions, and that is not based (at least not strictly) on due date, Context, etc. Primarily I want to to see things that I wish to accomplish on a Saturday (or this weekend).
[/quote]
Have you dedicated your use of the flags to other purposes?

Are your ad hoc lists primarily the next actions in a handful of projects? Would it offend you to see more items that you didn't hand-select? You could make a throwaway perspective showing the projects from which your ad hoc list of actions would be drawn. Use the focus command to limit the scope to literally just those projects and you can flip back and forth into context mode and just work what you see.

[quote]
TWO METHODS I'M LOOKING AT

1) I created a SAL that I call: "Today, soon". I use the Notes field of the SAL.

1a) I type in things I want to get done. Disadvantage: The things I type are redundant with OF Actions.

1b) I open two windows, one with the SAL and the cursor placed in the Notes field, then drag Actions of interest into the Notes field as aliases. Disadvantages: A) Kludgy; requires careful dragging of Actions (if there is a mouse-up during the drag, the Notes field loses focus and the Action can't be dragged into the Notes field as an alias (I have an enhancement request in to allow the Notes field to 'open up' when an Action is dragged over it)), and it requires two windows to be jockeyed. B) When Actions are clicked on, they show up, but so do other Actions from the same Project or SAL.
[/quote]

In 1a), you're just using the SAL to hold a note listing everything you want to do?

On occasion, I'll do something similar to 1b), except I'll drag the items into a TextEdit document, which allows the links to work to get back to the original item, and is a bit easier to populate. Just go down your list of available actions cmd-clicking on the ones you want, then do copy and paste into the TextEdit doc. Click on each item in the TextEdit doc as you do it to get taken directly to the corresponding OF action to check it off, then delete it from the TextEdit document if you want.

[quote]
2) Tagging. I'm thinking of tagging Actions with something that wouldn't likely otherwise show up, like: "•••". Then have a Perspective that shows these items (and of course I can further use filtering for "Available", etc.) I could later do a search and replace to clean things up.
[/QUOTE]
One potential disadvantage to this is that it updates the last changed date/time on each action you tag, regardless of whether or not you made any progress. Otherwise, it should work.

omnibob 2009-05-16 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;59951]Have you dedicated your use of the flags to [/QUOTE]

Indeed I have. Things that I want to keep on my horizon at a level of importance, but that don't have a due date.

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;59951]Are your ad hoc lists primarily the next actions in a handful of projects?[/QUOTE]

At times.

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;59951]Would it offend you to see more items that you didn't hand-select?[/QUOTE]

It does bug me, yeah.

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;59951]In 1a), you're just using the SAL to hold a note listing everything you want to do?[/QUOTE]

Yes

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;59951][...] I'll drag the items into a TextEdit document, which allows the links to work to get back to the original item, and is a bit easier to populate.[/QUOTE]

Very cool! Thanks.

Bob

omnibob 2009-05-16 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=jbkendrick;59950]I have a routine that might be helpful.[/QUOTE]

Very innovative! I'll put that in my bag of tricks.

Bob