The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Repeating options? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5970)

TimothyMDean 2007-11-30 07:38 PM

Repeating options?

It would be really nice if the repeat settings for an action were a little more robust. Many tools I've worked with allow recurring events to be scheduled on things like the first Tuesday of the month, the last day of the month, etc.

Any way to set up actions this way in OF? I'm particularly interested in a recurring daily action that only occurs on weekdays to describe things I need to do every day at work.

- Tim

Tim Wood 2007-12-02 11:29 PM

Right now we leave the more complicated scheduling to iCal, though your request (daily on work days) seems common enough that we should look at that specific case. Logged as <bug://bugs/43583> (Add options for tasks to repeat only on certain days)

Maurice 2007-12-20 12:47 PM

This is something i would like to see in a future version. For example, i would want to do my monthly review always on the first sunday of every month.

steve 2007-12-20 04:59 PM

I would like to vote for the "recur on certain day" feature.

pjb 2007-12-21 12:58 PM

Another approach would be to have aspects which could be set for each Context such as "active during weekdays only between 9AM and 5PM" but that approach can quickly slip into tagging.

slinberg 2008-01-20 06:20 PM

Another vote for this, please. I want to set a repeating task (my monthly review) to "the first Sunday of every month".

Please! Thanks.

sabeke 2008-01-22 05:08 AM

Yet another vote for this feature...

I have a task I do every Monday and Thursday.

I have a task I do every other Friday.

I have a task I do every work day.

I would like to be able to set them all up in OmniFocus so that they automatically appear on the day they are due.

Thanks!

gary 2008-01-23 12:00 AM

Another request for this feature. To just be able to set a task to happen every monday and thursday for example would be great (and I wouldn't consider that 'complicated scheduling').

Lizard 2008-01-23 10:11 AM

gary & sabeke: you can get a Monday/Thursday repeat by having 2 tasks; one on Monday and one on Thursday and have them each repeat every 1 week.

jamespro 2008-01-24 07:19 AM

Every month I have to do 5 tasks. So I set a project to repeat every month with 5 tasks in it. Each task doesn't have a due date, but the project has a Start Date and a Due Date.

How can I do this?

But now I check off one task that I finish, and another task pops back up again, and the task has a due date of next week.

Chris 2008-01-24 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=Lizard;31746]gary & sabeke: you can get a Monday/Thursday repeat by having 2 tasks; one on Monday and one on Thursday and have them each repeat every 1 week.[/QUOTE]

You can, but this is a horrible kludge.

And if you do this, every time you need to edit your tasks (which could be complicated, multi-action tasks) you have to edit multiple entries, or edit one and re-clone it all over again. Ugh.

smithsamuel 2008-01-26 12:21 PM

Please Please Please Please make this feature a priority. Rich repeating tasks are essential to truly integrating tasks with real world calendar. Can't do it with iCal as iCal only allows repeating events (time) not tasks. Completely non GTD paradigm to shoe horn events for tasks.

sabeke 2008-01-29 04:46 AM

[QUOTE=Chris;31780]You can, but this is a horrible kludge.

And if you do this, every time you need to edit your tasks (which could be complicated, multi-action tasks) you have to edit multiple entries, or edit one and re-clone it all over again. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Chris. Having multiple copies of the same task just so they will show up on different days seems like to perfect solution for NGAD (Not Getting Anything Done). :)

DFHarwood 2008-03-12 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=smithsamuel;31945]Please Please Please Please make this feature a priority. Rich repeating tasks are essential to truly integrating tasks with real world calendar. Can't do it with iCal as iCal only allows repeating events (time) not tasks. Completely non GTD paradigm to shoe horn events for tasks.[/QUOTE]

To be completely functional in any meaningful sense, this capability for repeating tasks is just essential. Please address it soon.

smithsamuel 2008-03-20 09:48 AM

Rich Repeating Tasks

The most disappointing feature hole for OmniFocus is the lack of rich repeating tasks like first monday of the month etc.

At least two other GTD paradigm tasks managers (Things and EasyTask) have this level of repeating tasks.

Its so basic and useful. I don't understand why the developers don't make it a high priority.

smithsamuel 2008-03-20 09:50 AM

Repeating Options

Ditto. Please ASAP

smithsamuel 2008-03-20 09:51 AM

Exactly. Absolutely essential feature. Don't know why its still not a high priority

Toadling 2008-03-20 02:48 PM

This would be a nice addition. Although, I must admit that so far, the existing level of control has been sufficient for my needs.

Dogsbreath 2008-03-21 06:28 AM

Consider my woe then:

I need to have a repeating task for the penultimate banking day of the month!

Oh woe is me!!

pturner 2008-07-24 08:45 PM

I don't know if posting to this forum counts as a vote for a feature but this feature seems key for me. 1 More vote.

billback 2008-07-25 06:11 AM

I would love to have this feature. I have certain things that are due on specific days of the month (currently two tasks that repeat every month). I also have a number of tasks that repeat only on work days.

Finally, I would like to have the ability to specify the repeat time. For example, every day, I have to enter time by the end of the day (5pm). Yet, the auto repeat sets it to 12 AM, meaning it's overdue at the beginning of the day. This is especially distracting on the iPhone version since you have two different views (Overdue and Due Soon) (Note: if someone knows how to fix this, then that would be great).

Tim Reger 2008-07-25 06:18 AM

Encouragement to add feature

Were this to be added as a feature in a future release, I, too, would find this very helpful.

Ken Case 2008-07-25 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=billback;42559]I would love to have this feature. I have certain things that are due on specific days of the month (currently two tasks that repeat every month). I also have a number of tasks that repeat only on work days.[/QUOTE]

We definitely plan to add more complex repeat scheduling, it just wasn't as important as shipping 1.0 in the first place or as adding synchronization to OmniFocus for 1.1.

[QUOTE]Finally, I would like to have the ability to specify the repeat time. For example, every day, I have to enter time by the end of the day (5pm). Yet, the auto repeat sets it to 12 AM, meaning it's overdue at the beginning of the day. This is especially distracting on the iPhone version since you have two different views (Overdue and Due Soon) (Note: if someone knows how to fix this, then that would be great).[/QUOTE]

Hmm, this sounds like a bug.

But I think I have a workaround: try setting the repeat period to "24 hours" rather than "1 day". (My guess is that OmniFocus is currently rounding the next repeat target to the nearest day or hour or minute, based on whichever units are selected for the repeat interval.)

Sappetta 2008-07-25 08:33 AM

One more vote, and one more question/request

I also vote for the "recur on certain day" feature, but:

My repeating tasks are not at regular intervals: they just start again on given dates.

So what I would really need is to specify the actual *calendar date* when the project should become active again, es September 15th, 2008, and *not* intervals like "the first Tuesday of the month, the last day of the month".

Is this somehow possible?

Thanks!

Dale 2008-08-02 03:53 PM

Better repeating scheduler needed

I ran into this problem today. I just started using OF and needed to schedule an insect spray project for my lawn here in Florida. I want to spray that lawn in June, July, August, September, December, and March. There is no way that can be done on OF that I can see. I also need to trim the palm trees the day after Thanksgiving. That can't be done on a yearly repeating basis either. So it would be nice to have several schedules available within one action or project.

whpalmer4 2008-08-02 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=Dale;43529]I ran into this problem today. I just started using OF and needed to schedule an insect spray project for my lawn here in Florida. I want to spray that lawn in June, July, August, September, December, and March. There is no way that can be done on OF that I can see. I also need to trim the palm trees the day after Thanksgiving. That can't be done on a yearly repeating basis either. So it would be nice to have several schedules available within one action or project.[/QUOTE]

You want this to recur every year, right? Refactor the schedule a bit; think of it as a handful of similar, possibly identical, things that happen yearly, not one thing that happens on an arbitrary schedule.

Make your project for June's spraying. Select the whole thing, copy it, and paste additional copies into your document for July, August, September, December, and March. Set the start dates for each one. Set the repeat interval to 1 year on each one. You won't see these "extra" projects unless you're viewing pending or remaining instead of active. Note that this setup allows you to customize each month in a fashion that wouldn't be very practical if it was the same project repeating for each month.

For the "day after Thanksgiving" task, put in a task every Nov. 1 to fix the start date for your "day after Thanksgiving" project for that year. Let the program help you help it do the things it can't do yet!

Having experimented with both, I find I get better results from repeating projects than from endlessly repeating actions in projects.

I would make use of a richer set of scheduling choices if it existed, but I don't have enough need to bump it very high on my personal priority list, nor a well-defined vision of what really needs to be added.

billback 2008-08-04 04:09 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;42568]Hmm, this sounds like a bug.

But I think I have a workaround: try setting the repeat period to "24 hours" rather than "1 day". (My guess is that OmniFocus is currently rounding the next repeat target to the nearest day or hour or minute, based on whichever units are selected for the repeat interval.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks - that did the trick. Was really annoying to check my tasks for the day and be overdue first thing in the morning.

Lizard 2008-08-04 02:50 PM

Another way to do this would be to have a single spraying project with an annual repeat cycle. Create an action for each month you need to spray and set its dates for this year's spraying. (And you can add actions inside these and make them into groups.) At the end of the year, mark the project complete, and it'll create a whole new project with all of next year's sprayings listed in it.

directo 2008-08-15 04:28 AM

another vote

Another vote for this feature...
There are certain tasks I'd like to repeat only on workdays....

I'm sure I could find other examples but this would be handy...

tsanders 2008-08-16 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;42568]
But I think I have a workaround: try setting the repeat period to "24 hours" rather than "1 day". (My guess is that OmniFocus is currently rounding the next repeat target to the nearest day or hour or minute, based on whichever units are selected for the repeat interval.)[/QUOTE]

I have a similar (or the same) issue and nothing really works quite the way I'd like. I didn't really care with OF 1.0, but now with the iPhone caring about "Due Soon" vs. "Overdue" it's annoying that I can't set tasks up the way I want.

Here's what I want to do: I want to have a task that starts at 8:00 am and is due at 12:00 pm. I also want this to repeat every day. If I don't do it at all then it should just roll over (being overdue) until I get it done. As soon as I mark it off I want to get a new task that starts the next day at 8 and is due at noon.

If I set the repeat to "assigned date" the start and due times work correctly. Every time I check it off I get another task set for the next day. The problem is that if I don't do this at all on Monday when I check it off on Tuesday I get a task for Tuesday. If I skip two or three days then I have to click through each day or go edit the recurring task to realign it.

If I set the repeat to "completion" date then the start and due times key off my completion *time* and slowly precess around. For instance, right now it's 10:47 in my time zone. With repeat on "one day" if I check off the task the new one starts TONIGHT at 8 PM and is due at midnight. With a repeat of "24 hours" the new task will start at 6 AM tomorrow and be due at 10 AM.

So I guess what I want is to repeat the _date_ based on completion date, but repeat the _time_ based on assigned time. Basically if I check it off at any time on day N, the new task should start at 8 AM on day N+1 and be due at noon on N+1.

I know there's an argument that this isn't really that GTD, but I'd argue the iPhone version is encouraging this sort of behavior. Frankly getting up in the morning and having a big stack of "overdue" stuff isn't the best motivator. I'd like to spread due times for daily tasks spread across the day, so they tick over into "overdue" in a controlled fashion. That's a motivator when one task "goes red" at 2 PM, and another one at 4 PM. But right now I can't quite get that behavior without constantly fussing with the recurrence.

getling 2008-08-19 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=tsanders;44935]
So I guess what I want is to repeat the _date_ based on completion date, but repeat the _time_ based on assigned time. Basically if I check it off at any time on day N, the new task should start at 8 AM on day N+1 and be due at noon on N+1.
[/QUOTE]

I completely concur that this option would be very helpful to keep track of daily recurring tasks that don't always get done...the current behavior ends up giving you only two options:

1) Have to check off tasks that you did not do (!) because its repeating every single day (when using 'assigned date')
2) End up throwing the timing out of whack for time-dependent (or non-time dependent, if you just want to have the due time cover the whole day) actions (when using 'completed time')

cebailey 2008-08-25 08:32 AM

Recurring tasks every weekday?

Everyone,

I have a ton of tasks that I need to repeat every day M-F at work, but I don't want them cluttering stuff up with overdue notices on the weekends. Currently I have to create 5 versions of each task, one each for M-F, and tell them to repeat weekly. Is there any way to make a task repeat each weekday, but not on the weekends?

curt.clifton 2008-08-27 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=cebailey;45590]
I have a ton of tasks that I need to repeat every day M-F at work, but I don't want them cluttering stuff up with overdue notices on the weekends. Currently I have to create 5 versions of each task, one each for M-F, and tell them to repeat weekly. Is there any way to make a task repeat each weekday, but not on the weekends?[/QUOTE]

Only the way you're currently doing it.

Use Help --> Send Feedback to add your vote to the others requesting this feature.

colicoid 2008-08-27 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=Dale;43529]I want to spray that lawn in June, July, August, September, December, and March.[/QUOTE]

There is one dirty workaround for all you multiple-copies-of-repeating-tasks people out there. Instead of using repeating tasks at all you can just skip that and push start dates forward. E.g.:

1. It's June now and the spray task/project becomes available.
2. After spraying set the start date of the spray task to July (don't check off the task.
3. ...

nurkkala 2008-09-02 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=Sappetta;42577]I also vote for the "recur on certain day" feature, but:

My repeating tasks are not at regular intervals: they just start again on given dates.

So what I would really need is to specify the actual *calendar date* when the project should become active again, es September 15th, 2008, and *not* intervals like "the first Tuesday of the month, the last day of the month".
[/QUOTE]

I also would like this feature. I use OF to keep track of when I have to prepare lectures and other materials for teaching. I always want a recurring tasks in the future, but it isn't always on a given day. I end up keeping one task all semester and update the due date each time I complete (say) a lecture. This is a workable kludge, but it means that I don't get any historical information on when I did what. It's also tempting to check the completion box, but then I'd lose the task altogether (to my horror and the delight of students!).

I would like to see OF support a process like this:[LIST][*]I check off a task (e.g., lecture prep)[*]OF adds a recurrence of the task and also prompts me for the new due date[*]OF adds new task to task list.[/LIST]
Thanks!

c.nick 2008-09-06 03:53 AM

One more vote for the "repeat on a certain day of the week" feature. Many actions don't neccessarily recur on a 23rd of a month but on "mondays" or every 2nd weekend, etc.

Best regards and keep up the excellent work!
Christian

popcornflix 2008-09-06 03:36 PM

As requested in another thread, I would really like a ROLLOVER feature. So if an action is not completed by its Due Date, it would automatically be rolled over by the increment specified.

So an action could be (for example) "repeat every 2nd Tuesday of the month" and "if missed, roll over to Next Tuesday."

Please send feedback to Omni if this sounds good to you.

Thanks!

sangha 2009-02-07 11:16 AM

Any idea on when repeating tasks will be live?

I love a lot of the features of OmniFocus, but this lack of robust repeating is driving me toward Things or Life Balance. I can hang on to Omni, but need some reassurance that this feature is coming soon... please!!

whpalmer4 2009-02-07 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=sangha;54882]I love a lot of the features of OmniFocus, but this lack of robust repeating is driving me toward Things or Life Balance. I can hang on to Omni, but need some reassurance that this feature is coming soon... please!![/QUOTE]

Perhaps if you tell us exactly what "this feature" is.... I've got countless repeating tasks in my database, and have since before OF 1.0 shipped.

stevenind 2009-03-14 10:37 AM

Please add my vote for repeating tasks

I would like some type of feature that is something like:

Task Due Date
Renew car tags Last day in January
Check bank statement 24th of every month
Attend Exec Mtg Every first and third Tues of Each Month

Thanks and great program!

Steve

curt.clifton 2009-03-14 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=stevenind;56754]I would like some type of feature that is something like...[/QUOTE]

Use [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3734"]Help --> Send Feedback[/URL] to submit your feature request.

ThannClark 2009-03-15 07:44 PM

One more Vote for repeating task options

I have this very same need, after noticing that my tires were low, I have started a "Check my tire pressure and oil" On the first Sunday of every month. It makes absolutely no sense to have this repeat on the first of every month, this can only get done for me on a Sunday. SO one more vote. Thanks!

Toadling 2009-03-15 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=ThannClark;56833]SO one more vote. Thanks![/QUOTE]

As Curt already mentioned, you really need to use [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3734"]Help -> Send Feedback[/URL] to place any kind of a vote. Posting a "me too" message here doesn't count. :-)

-Dennis

LizPf 2009-03-16 06:02 AM

[QUOTE=ThannClark;56833]I have this very same need, after noticing that my tires were low, I have started a "Check my tire pressure and oil" On the first Sunday of every month. It makes absolutely no sense to have this repeat on the first of every month, this can only get done for me on a Sunday. SO one more vote. Thanks![/QUOTE]

These sound more like Calendar tasks than OmniFocus tasks. As I use them, OF is for tasks that don't necessarily have to take place on a specific date, and can "float" if necessary. I put tasks like "trash cans to curb" on my calendar.

Speaking of calendars, as I really don't like iCal, I've found that Sunbird works well with both my Google calendars and anything in the ical format. I haven't tried to see if I can synch it with OF, as I don't synch, but it is a good, full-featured calendar app at the best price possible (free). [Though I would happily pay for OmniCal, if this ever gets developed.]

tedhogan 2009-03-25 12:27 PM

Fuzzy repetition like that found in Scrial Consistency. THAT is what we also need added to repeating tasks. It's exactly what many on this thread are talking about.

Instead of relying on a voting system of what users talk about or say, get everyone together at Omni for a common sense test on this one. I think that if you were to really examine this capability, it would become clear what an asset it would be to the software.

Have to remind yourself to clean the fish tank? What about keeping track of getting some monthly reports together? Do you need to prepare and submit paperwork that works of a really funky schedule like every other month on the 3rd Friday? What about reminding yourself to get the oil changed in your car?

A very robust repetition scheme that included fuzzy tracking like Consistency does would be a killer feature for OmniFocus. The test of this is to get together and ask yourselves at Omni, "would I use this?" I think if you did that, it would become more clear just how killer of a feature this would be.

Obviously, stability and syncing were far more important essentials. Now that they are more robust, it's time to take OmniFu to the next level and this whole repetition enchilada could do just that. People still buy enough copies of Consistency at $20 or whatever a pop (ridiculous price) to keep it in (slow) development. People want this even if they don't realize it yet. People want to be reminded of the things that they are responsible for that do not comfortably fit into the tracking systems we currently use.

Brian 2009-03-25 02:13 PM

I don't think there's any doubt that more flexible action repeat patterns would be useful. The best way to figure out what our customers want is to pay attention to what they tell us. Right now, there are things that our customers are telling us they want more than this feature.

One example: adding UI for creating repeating actions to the iPhone version; it can't yet do what the desktop app does.

Despite the desktop app having over six months of a head start on the iPhone one, there are more votes attached to the "I need repeating actions like the desktop" request than to the "I need more flexible repeat options" request.

More requests in less time means we should probably pay attention to that. :-)

Not saying that we're not going to do this; just partially explaining why we haven't done it yet. (Another reason is localizations: if we add a bunch of new repeat UI, we have to localize it for all the languages we support.)

tedhogan 2009-03-27 04:30 AM

The feedback you get is probably only a portion of the user base. Also, it does not include the potential market that innovative features might bring to OmniFu.

Don't forget that many people don't like and won't use this product for whatever reasons (primarily the complexity/UI). Repetition is a key feature that is often requested and none of the task management applications do it very well. Absolutely nobody does fuzzy tracking. It offers a competitive advantage.

The iPhone app is nice, but the key driver should be the desktop app. With competitors out there stealing mindshare at every opportunity, it's critical that Omni continue to differentiate itself and justify the premium. (Sync was absolutely huge in that respect.) Feature parity with the desktop is definitely a worthy goal, but nobody on the outside is probably going to notice.

Design by committee does not produce excellence. Creativity, vision, knowledge, and dedication do. Far too often I see Omni being almost dictated to by some of the more vocal OmniFu zealots and I don't think that's a good thing. Design what you think will do well. Listen to feedback, but at the end of the day use those in house talents that have made Omni so successful in the first place.

:-)

BTW - I congratulate all of you on a job well done with this app! Please don't take my comments as negative. They are not meant that way.

whpalmer4 2009-03-27 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=tedhogan;57466]
Design by committee does not produce excellence. Creativity, vision, knowledge, and dedication do. Far too often I see Omni being almost dictated to by some of the more vocal OmniFu zealots and I don't think that's a good thing. Design what you think will do well. Listen to feedback, but at the end of the day use those in house talents that have made Omni so successful in the first place.
[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, could you give us some examples of decisions where you perceive Omni let itself be pushed by outside feedback into doing something that it didn't think was the right thing to do? I've read every post on the forums since the first announcement that they would build what turned out to be OmniFocus, and frankly, I don't see it.

My perception is that they have a long list of their own ideas about how their products should develop. They like to hear from us, because they don't think that they are the [b]only[/b] ones with good ideas, and it helps keep them pointed in the right direction, but when push comes to shove, they build the stuff they believe in. Our feedback helps them fine tune the decisions about what happens when.

sculwell 2009-03-30 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=steve;29445]I would like to vote for the "recur on certain day" feature.[/QUOTE]

So would I...

whpalmer4 2009-03-30 10:51 AM

To vote, you need to use Help->Send Feedback or send email to [email]omnifocus@omnigroup.com[/email]; posting in the forum doesn't get your vote counted.

BevvyB 2009-04-02 03:51 AM

I want this too, with a bit of extra functionality too..

I need reminders to check to see if money has moved from my account

Certain bank withdrawals go out on certain days of the month like every 2nd of every month. So would like to be able to type 'every 2nd of month' and OF knows what to do about it.

However

Banks don't do transactions on weekends. If the 2nd lands on a Saturday or Sunday the transaction happens on the Monday, so it could be as late as the 4th. Would be terrific if you could have a tick box to make these repeating events day-aware with a 'rollover' feature.

This stuff is super important to me and it should be in OF. Many bills, transactions and standing orders work by day of month. It's the world we live in. I don't make the rules!

whpalmer4 2009-04-02 06:29 AM

Have you come across any calendar software that will do this automatically? iCal will let you do the 2nd Monday of each month, for example, but I don't see a way to get the 2nd of each month when it is a weekday and some nearby date when it falls on a weekend or bank holiday.

What I do is not bother making it a repeating event, and instead just enter a year or two of them all at once with start dates so I only see 1 at a time, and a reminder action to put in more near the end of the run. Or I enter it as a repeating action (or action group) with a note (or an explicit action) to fix up the date on the next one. Which approach I choose depends on whether or not it might be useful to see a list of upcoming actions instead of just the next one.

jdavenport 2009-07-03 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;57398]...there are more votes attached to the "I need repeating actions like the desktop" request than to the "I need more flexible repeat options" request.[/QUOTE]

I think as soon as you give the first to the iphone, you'll get the second.

I am an iphone user and I just ordered a MacBook Pro. I'm taking the plunge after being a PC and Pocket-PC user for many years. I have always used tasks on the Pocket-PC and MS Outlook. I am trying to find a good iphone/Mac applications now as replacements. I've been using Appigo’s ToDo and have become intrigued by the GTD concept. Omnifocus looks like the application I want to use, but I need repeating task. Not [I]just[/I] repeating tasks. If I cant set tasks to repeat at the times that I need them too, its pointless. I, like others here from what I gather, need things like... [I]repeat on last weekday of the month, repeat only on weekdays, repeat on the 2nd Tuesday of the month[/I]. A task manager is supposed to help you be more productive, not kill your productivity trying to find a work around for what I think is the basics, scheduling the task when it is to be done. Your product looks fantastic and does way more then what I was even expecting to find, however its missing something crucial for me. Its kind of like having all the bells and whistles on a sports car but the engine was left out. Please develop this as quickly as possible and I'll be the first in line to place my order. (Heck I'll probably go ahead and buy it anyway to mess with it, but it will never meet my needs until more options are added for scheduling.)

Thanks

J Davenport

whpalmer4 2009-07-03 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=jdavenport;62187]I think as soon as you give the first to the iphone, you'll get the second.
[/quote]
Is there some reason to believe that iPhone/iPod users need a richer set of repeat options more than the desktop users?

In any case, the latest version of the iPhone/iPod client has repeating options, just like the desktop.
[quote]Omnifocus looks like the application I want to use, but I need repeating task. Not [I]just[/I] repeating tasks. If I cant set tasks to repeat at the times that I need them too, its pointless. I, like others here from what I gather, need things like... [I]repeat on last weekday of the month, repeat only on weekdays, repeat on the 2nd Tuesday of the month[/I]. A task manager is supposed to help you be more productive, not kill your productivity trying to find a work around for what I think is the basics, scheduling the task when it is to be done. Your product looks fantastic and does way more then what I was even expecting to find, however its missing something crucial for me. Its kind of like having all the bells and whistles on a sports car but the engine was left out.
[/QUOTE]
I think you'll find that OmniFocus is rather more useful than a car without an engine! A better comparison would be a car whose radio didn't let you have preset stations. You have to tune the radio every time you want to go to a different station, and it seems like a nuisance at first, but if you just do it for a week, it turns out not to be nearly the obstacle you originally thought. Sure, it'll be nice when the new radio comes out that has presets, but the old radio doesn't prevent you from listening to music, much less driving places in the car.

I've got hundreds of repeating actions, many of them on schedules that OmniFocus can't handle automatically. I spend about 5-10 minutes per month adjusting dates, at most. It's only as big of an obstacle as you want to make it. To quote Henry Ford, "whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." These tasks can be handled quite adequately with the tools provided; when Omni adds the richer repeat support, which I am confident they will, it will be easier, but not in a life-changing way. I haven't seen a calendar program yet that didn't force me to do most of the same things I do in OmniFocus. Yes, the startup cost will be a bit higher, but these are repeating actions, and in any month after the first one, I'll bet that by far the majority of your repeating actions will be ones previously set up, and thus the amount of time spent setting up new repeating actions will be quite small.

jdavenport 2009-07-04 06:05 AM

whpalmer4, there isn't a reason that iPhone/iPod users need a richer set of repeat options than the desktop users. To use your analogy of the radio (which I like much better than mine by the way) I think the only reason they are hearing more from iPhone users than desktop users is because iphone users didn't even have the radio, so why would they be complaining about presets. Like I said give them one, and you'll get the other. The desktop version is what attracted me to Omnifocus in the first place. I love my iphone, but I would not want to enter in my "brain dump" into the iphone. I think of it as a great extension to the desktop.

c.nick 2009-07-05 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=jdavenport;62187]I, like others here from what I gather, need things like... [I]repeat on last weekday of the month, repeat only on weekdays, repeat on the 2nd Tuesday of the month[/I][/QUOTE]

Dear OmniFolks, what between earth and sky keeps you from implementing such a basic function? Schedules like these simple examples are absolutly common in many occasions: Financial deadlines, sports schedules, deadlines for writers, school and university schedules, business reporting, - the world is full of "needs to be completed by every 3rd friday of the month"...

The only "reason" I can think of is that you probably want to keep the program as simple as possible. OF is all about simplicity and "not getting in your way".

But friends, if I as a user need to remind myself every single week or every second month - or so - and think of this and build workarounds in order to not forget and to perform a very common recurring task - then I must say: It would be MUCH simpler for me if you could add a button for that.

It's the workflow, st... sweetheart ;-)

Cheers, Christian

Toadling 2009-07-05 07:03 AM

[QUOTE=c.nick;62221]Dear OmniFolks, what between earth and sky keeps you from implementing such a basic function?[/QUOTE]

I suspect it's other feature requests. Everyone has one or two features they really [I]need[/I] right away. And Omni is stuck with the rather difficult task of deciding which has priority and when each should be implemented.

I do vaguely remember reading that more repeating/scheduling options are planned, but I can't remember if it was slated for a release before 2.0 or not.

If you really want this feature, be sure to let Omni know directly via Help -> Send Feedback. That's the best way to "vote" for a feature request.

-Dennis

JayEpoch 2009-09-28 01:40 PM

+1 vote for weekday recurrence. No reason the recurrence options shouldn't be as robust or better than iCals imo.

babbie 2010-01-11 04:58 AM

Repeating tasks

I agree with the above suggestions for a more flixible set of options for repeats (though I don't need the rollover from weekends, but would not oppose it).

I would add a more modest request. I am now using OF for a bunch of daily chores. I appreciate the reminder, but I do not need to accumulate thousands of "completed" tasks. How about an option to [ ] Do not save completed task.

curt.clifton 2010-01-11 03:56 PM

Use Help → Send Feedback to submit bug reports and feature suggestions to get them entered in the development database. (See [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3734"]this sticky thread[/URL] at the top of the forum for details.)

msmith6869 2010-01-22 06:44 PM

This thread and the numerous requests it contains for this feature have been ongoing since Nov 2007. Surely after over 2 years this has made it into the rotation for a release. If not, I would love to hear why. This is not an extremely hard feature to add. Most GTD clients have this feature.

whpalmer4 2010-01-22 09:23 PM

It may not be a hard feature to add (though as you are not an Omni developer, and have no access to the source code, that's just speculation on your part) but it does require work, testing, and documentation, and the time and resources spent doing those things aren't available for doing something else which may have gotten more requests, or that Omni's management thinks will produce a superior product which leads to more revenue and happier customers. It does require coordinated changes to both the desktop and iPhone applications, and might also require a file format change, both of which are complications not necessarily encountered by many other feature requests.

msmith6869 2010-01-23 04:40 AM

You are correct that I am not an Omni developer. But judging from the number of posts on this thread common sense would tell you that this feature has received numerous requests over the 2+ years it has been open. Surely it has received enough requests to make it into a release at some point. Of course it would taking testing, documentation, etc. All new features do. However, it seems based on nothing more than the fact that this feature exists in almost every similar product regardless of cost (some being less than $20) that this common feature should be available in one of the more expensive products in the GTD-based task management arena.

curt.clifton 2010-01-23 06:30 AM

[QUOTE=msmith6869;72204]Surely it has received enough requests to make it into a release at some point.[/QUOTE]

Your confidence is refreshing in our skeptical age. On the other hand, since the feature isn't in the any of the released versions of the software, I'm not clear on what your confidence is based. There are thousands (tens of thousands?) of threads on the OF forums. One thread that you happen to agree with wouldn't seem to provide overwhelming evidence of anything.

Use Help → Send Feedback to submit feature request to get them entered in the development database. (See [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3734"]this sticky thread[/URL] at the top of the forum for details.) Me-too posts don't count. I would also like to see more control of repeating actions, and have submitted my feedback.

I cringe when people claim to know what's easy in software. Developing quality software is hard; anyone who claims otherwise is ignorant or selling something.

Cheers,

Curt

msmith6869 2010-01-23 09:07 AM

You have a good point, there are thousands of posts and tens of thousands of requests I am sure. But here is the truth of the matter. Both Things and My Life Organized have rich repeating options. Both cost roughly half of OF. If you are going to charge one of the highest license costs in the industry for a product you better well make sure you have the functionality of the cheaper products. That is a competitive issue not a software issue. As a formers software engineer (mainly testing) I know very well what it takes to get a piece of functionality into a release. Alot of work! That being said if we knew our competitors had functionality we did not and there were requests for it (even if it was not the most requested item) we put that at or near the top of our list of needed items. I am not sure how many releases there have been since this thread opened. However, I am sure the list of new and improved functionality in OF since that time is staggering. Are you telling me that every piece of new or improved functionality since then has been more highly requested than rich repeating?

curt.clifton 2010-01-23 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=msmith6869;72218]Are you telling me that every piece of new or improved functionality since then has been more highly requested than rich repeating?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

More specifically, since you know a bit about how software is developed, you recognize that sometimes a third tier feature is added at the same time a top tier feature is added, simply because the developers have that part of the system "on the operating table".

Skimming through the release notes, here's what's been added for top tier features:[LIST][*] Improved Styles[*] Sync-compatibility with updated iPhone versions[*] Snow Leopard support[*] Redesigned Perspectives with support for syncing Perspectives to iPhone[*] Improved attachment support to reduce sync times[*] Redesigned repeat inspector[*] Bug fixes[*] Auto-complete for projects and action groups[*] Various UI improvements[*] Archiving to keep databases small and sync speed fast[*] Faster creation of new contexts and projects[*] Synchronization between multiple Macs[*] An iPhone version of OF[*] Parsing of tasks from message in Mail[/LIST]
It's a spurious argument to compare OF to competing applications on the basis of a single "missing" feature. That would only make sense if the competition had all of the features that OF had. Instead, each program is at a different point in the feature and cost space. Customers can choose the product that comes closest to their needs, and (in the case of OF) use Help → Send Feedback to cast their vote for the missing features. I assume you've taken the time to do so for enhanced repeat options.

Cheers,

Curt

whpalmer4 2010-01-23 10:38 AM

You're making an assumption here which is unwarranted; namely, that a higher price tag means a superset of the functionality of all applications with a lower price tag is a necessity. That's simply not true. What you do have to deliver is a package which provides functionality sufficient to persuade customers to buy it. Look how many iPods Apple sold without an FM tuner at a higher price. That functionality can be features that the other products don't have, or features that the other products don't implement as well, or even things like superior customer support.

Number of requests is only one factor in how Omni decides what to implement next. It's an important one, but doesn't override all else. For example, there are frequent requests for OmniFocus to have a calendar view or to make iCal appointments instead of iCal tasks, but the OmniFocus team feels that is not the correct thing to do, and are on record saying so. But they also pay attention to the experiences reported by their customers, and change the product where they think they can improve on something they've done before. There are a number of changes which have been made relatively recently to make life easier for those trying to use the product from a non-GTD viewpoint.

msmith6869 2010-01-23 10:57 AM

I have indeed added my two cents via feedback and hope that everyone else who posted here did as well. I agree with Curt and whpalmer and understand that not all GTD software packages have identical functionality. There is no question that OF is the premier GTD software package for the Mac OS. I fully intend on purchasing two licenses plus iphone in the next week. My hope is that rich repeating will be added very soon.

It would seem to me that someone who is operating the to-do portion of their life base on David Allen's principles would desperately need this functionality. I have nearly as many items on my list that repeat on a schedule of the 1st Thursday of every month or 4th day of the month than I do that repeat every 2 weeks or 17 days. If OF is meant to allow us to operate based on a GTD-centric work flow then the omission of rich repeating from even the initial release severely hampers ones ability to truly follow the principles from the book.

msmith6869 2010-01-23 10:59 AM

One other thing to note. Even though there are thousands of posts on this forum asking for countless features, other than sticky posts this thread is the 16th most commented post in this entire forum. I think we can all agree that this fact says something about importance and popularity of this feature set.

whpalmer4 2010-01-23 01:08 PM

I just make a note in the notes field for the (very small) number of such actions that I have describing the repeat -- fourth Wednesday of the month, every other blue moon, etc. Then when I complete the first action, I adjust the newly created one accordingly.

Scott TX 2010-02-02 09:00 AM

Well for the record my eval of OmniFocus is on hold while I spend the next week looking at Things. This feature is a deal breaker for me. Not being able to simply say I want something to repeat only on weekdays seems overly simple and if it is not then all the other developer must be brilliant (to use a Steve Jobs word!).

I hope the devs listen and you guys get this feature. If I find some glaring hole like this in Things I may be back. Can't have everything but right now intelligent repeating is is on my "must have" list.

BTW....The comments about using the in app functionality to report this seem a bit misplaced. This is an OmniFocus forum. They set it up and they are paying for it's operation so I am going to guess they are reading it and paying attention. Besides given the huge number of "me to!!!" posts I would imagine it has been submitted in app more than a few times.

curt.clifton 2010-02-02 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Scott TX;72613]
BTW....The comments about using the in app functionality to report this seem a bit misplaced. This is an OmniFocus forum. They set it up and they are paying for it's operation so I am going to guess they are reading it and paying attention.[/QUOTE]

You are, of course, welcome to guess however you'd like. On the other hand, you could also [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3734"]read and see that you're mistaken[/URL].

Scott TX 2010-02-03 06:22 AM

Curt I would guess you have lots of friends. You have added so much value with your positive upbeat and constructive comments to this thread. Do you add this much value everywhere you go? I feel so much better about OmniFocus as a product and great community members like you.

Way to be a great contributor!!

whpalmer4 2010-02-03 07:35 AM

Curt is not only one of the most insightful and prolific contributors to this forum, he's also one of the least likely to respond in anything but a calm, reasoned fashion. I can only surmise that due to that tragic childhood accident, it takes him much longer to count to 100 during his cooling-off phase before responding, giving me an opportunity to beat him to the punch (I usually only count to 2 or maybe 3) :-)

So, let's go down the list. You made a statement that reflected a mistaken understanding of the purpose of these forums, and Curt pointed you to an official statement (a sticky at the top of each page of forum posts, no less!) so that you could get your feedback heard (whether or not Curt might agree with the request). In fact, it appears that every one of his posts in this thread includes directions on how to get [b]your[/b] opinion heard by Omni, whatever it might be. With enemies like that, who needs friends?

Or perhaps you didn't like his assertion that developing software is hard? Not much reason to think that a professor of computer science who actually develops software would know anything about that, is there?

Frankly, if you're interested in learning about OmniFocus and its use, just reading Curt's posts would be an excellent approach. His knowledge of the product is as comprehensive as that of anyone outside of Omni. He's contributed widely-used scripts that substantially extend OmniFocus' usefulness and illuminated the path for others to do likewise. He gives assistance to the community freely and at length -- he's posted more times here than there are total postings on the Things iPhone/iPod Touch forum!

Speaking of Things, while browsing their forums to see if I could find out if they have a Curt equivalent over there, I came across [URL="http://culturedcode.com/forums/read.php?7,34151"]this thread[/URL] which merits reading for a number of different reasons:
[LIST=1][*]A reminder that Things doesn't offer sequential projects, etc.[*]Users pointing out that development appears to have ground to a halt[*]A reminder over to the right that just like with the Omni forums, if you need to contact the Things developers, you need to use a different means of communication[/LIST]
I think you should use whatever tool best fits your needs -- if that's OmniFocus, that's great, and I'll do my best (as will Curt, I'm sure) to help you over any bumps in the road. If it is Things, or The Hit List, or any of the other tools out there, best of luck, and if it doesn't work out, come on back!

Scott TX 2010-02-03 08:44 AM

Thanks for your comments. I just think a little less "you are an idiot", RTFM approach goes a long way.

Pretending like the project mangers and the devs are unaware of this request and we just need to tell them is crazy given the level of attention this topic has gotten here. They know it and for whatever reason they don't want to do it or don't think it is a priority and that is certainly their choice.

As an owner of a software development firm with about 20 developers working for me, I certainly know what it takes to implement new features or make changes. As this one goes it is not a big one. If you look at the list of changes since this thread started there are lots of features that have been added which were significantly more complex and difficult. The fact this feature is not included is a choice, and that is perfectly fine. For me this so severly limits the usefulness of the program that I find myself spending more time working around it and given that this application specifically should keep me organized, on-track and save time that is a problem.

Thanks for the insight on Things. I am not keen on the lack of sync. A issue similar to this for their user community. It is something users have requested for a least a year. In the scheme of things that is much harder to develop than some logic around reoccurring tasks but it is still a huge problem for their users.

I really want OmniFocus to work. I spent time going through all the documentation and videos provided, went out an got the ScreenCasts Online tutorials and really have committed more time than I would with most any application, and I regretted moving away a few days ago, but this one feature is really that important to me, and unfortunately the only place to deliver a message like that is through email or a forum post. Both of which I have done.

whpalmer4 2010-02-03 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=Scott TX;72662]
Pretending like the project mangers and the devs are unaware of this request and we just need to tell them is crazy given the level of attention this topic has gotten here. They know it and for whatever reason they don't want to do it or don't think it is a priority and that is certainly their choice.
[/QUOTE]
They are aware that some users want the feature, yes. Many of them probably could use it themselves. However, as the list of desired features is much longer than the list of available resources to implement them, they have to make judgment calls on what will do the most good for the product and its users, and one of the factors they use is just how many people are willing to go to the very minimal trouble of sending an email to register their interest in the feature. If one isn't willing to do that, in my book you aren't all that interested in the feature in question. Think about it -- Omni is specifically asking the user population for input in prioritizing features! Now, why is it so hard to believe that the general opinion might be that there are other features that more of the people who are willing to submit feedback want than this feature? Especially when Brian, the guy who manages the people who fill that database with your feedback, says that very thing earlier in the thread?

There are a number of workarounds for this issue; I don't know if you haven't come across them or have rejected them out of hand. If the former, here's a thread that covers some of them: [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=15120[/url].

Callen 2010-08-26 07:40 AM

Would like to have a repeat feature like ToDo App.

This will make it the best App for to dos.

herbgarden 2010-10-16 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=sangha;54882]I love a lot of the features of OmniFocus, but this lack of robust repeating is driving me toward Things or Life Balance. I can hang on to Omni, but need some reassurance that this feature is coming soon... please!![/QUOTE]

I've just come from Things as I was expecting more but ..... the very excellent thing about Things is the repeating capability with Tasks. I have things that need to be done weekly, monthly or yearly but always on a working day so setting say the 1st is no good. The first Monday or second Wednesday each month or other month, week or other week would be great.

If not then maybe this isn't for me after all. Its great in many other respects but this one is a major GTD need.

whpalmer4 2010-10-16 09:27 AM

I find it takes me very little time to make up for the lack of "first Monday" repeating. I put a note in the notes field (first line) of the repeating action that more precisely describes what the desired repeat is, and set it to repeat for the closest available option. When I check something off that has such a note, I fix the date for the next one. Or, I don't bother — I work mostly on a start date basis, with a perspective that shows me all the items starting that day. If I see something that obviously needs to be done on a work day, and it is a weekend day, I just bump the date to the next work day. Sure, I'll be happy to skip doing this when they deliver reacher repeat date support, but I find OmniFocus superior in so many different ways that it would be crazy to stop using it because of something like this. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I suppose I ought to point out that the former approach works better with things where it is important that it be scheduled for the earliest possible date (1st Monday may actually fall before a month is up, for example), and the latter better with things where the date is approximate and just needs to meet some constraint like banks being open, etc. Don't want anyone coming after me in early March and blaming me for leading them astray :-) There are some other approaches outlined in the thread I refer to earlier in this thread, too.

c.nick 2010-10-17 02:35 AM

I can't understand why people keep discribing all sorts of WORKAROUNDS to cope with missing features of the product. After all we love our OmniGroup products because they offer great FUNCTIONALITY instead of the hassle with workarounds in the first place.

I'm sure most of us figure out their own workarounds for whatever they feel missing on the feature list so far.

I engage here not to discuss workarounds but to find the leanest and meanest possible ways how to implement and enhance features.

If I wanted to discuss all the needs and possibilities of workarounds over workarounds of workarounds I'd have more food for thought on the Things forums ;-)

whpalmer4 2010-10-17 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=c.nick;87589]I can't understand why people keep discribing all sorts of WORKAROUNDS to cope with missing features of the product. After all we love our OmniGroup products because they offer great FUNCTIONALITY instead of the hassle with workarounds in the first place.
[/quote]
Because most of us don't have the ability to make changes to Omni's source code to implement that functionality, and yet are interested in using the product, we do what we can — discuss workarounds, and encourage others to send in feedback requesting changes.
[quote]
I'm sure most of us figure out their own workarounds for whatever they feel missing on the feature list so far.
[/quote]
And yet, there are numerous posts asking "how do I do X?" and often only small differences in X change the answer from a matter of describing how a feature works to suggesting a workaround. Allow me to apologize for the many posters who thought they may have missed something while learning the program and didn't realize they would pollute the purity of the forum experience by talking about workarounds rather than page numbers where the answer could be found!

Heaven forbid anyone should be interested in learning how to approximate some desired functionality with the resources at hand while waiting for Omni to deliver a native version.
[quote]
I engage here not to discuss workarounds but to find the leanest and meanest possible ways how to implement and enhance features.

If I wanted to discuss all the needs and possibilities of workarounds over workarounds of workarounds I'd have more food for thought on the Things forums ;-)[/QUOTE]
As long as we are here, let's hear some of your ideas for lean and mean ways to implement richer repeat options. Can you offer any improvements on iCal's custom repeats? Any unusual repeat patterns that you would like supported?

IntlOrange 2011-02-02 01:44 PM

One more vote for this feature! Would love to be able to repeat a task, say "starting on the last Monday of each month, and due on the last Friday of the month."

KKOB 2011-02-28 01:30 AM

I would also REALLY REALLY like to see this feature added. I don't want to use iCal/Calendar to remind me of non time specific things as the repeating task is part of a greater list of things I need to get done in a specific order.

It seems to be a relatively trivial feature to add, but one which most people would find incredibly useful.

drking 2011-03-14 10:06 PM

I would like to vote for this feature.
Thank you,
drking

Leo Pedersen 2011-03-24 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=c.nick;62221]Dear OmniFolks, what between earth and sky keeps you from implementing such a basic function? Schedules like these simple examples are absolutly common in many occasions: Financial deadlines, sports schedules, deadlines for writers, school and university schedules, business reporting, - the world is full of "needs to be completed by every 3rd friday of the month"...

The only "reason" I can think of is that you probably want to keep the program as simple as possible. OF is all about simplicity and "not getting in your way".

But friends, if I as a user need to remind myself every single week or every second month - or so - and think of this and build workarounds in order to not forget and to perform a very common recurring task - then I must say: It would be MUCH simpler for me if you could add a button for that.

It's the workflow, st... sweetheart ;-)

Cheers, Christian[/QUOTE]

This sums up my feelings about this issue very well. This functionality seems so basic and obvious I'm still surprised that it wasn't part of the 1.0 release.

OmniFocus is a fantastic and powerful application, I just hope this problem will be resolved soon :)

ape 2011-04-14 09:29 AM

Hopefully this might be the correct thread for this, but one feature that I'm missing from a recurring action is to recur until a specific date. For instance, I'd like the action to recur every 1 day until a specfied date (or time for that matter).

I hope I haven't missed some preference for this.

Thanks,

Steve

whpalmer4 2011-04-14 01:28 PM

Steve, you haven't missed it, it isn't there...use Help->Send Feedback to send in a feature request, and maybe we'll get it one of these days.

In the meantime, what I do is set a separate action with a start date to remind me to cancel the repeating action (if it has lots of repeats), or just enter duplicate, non-repeating actions with start dates (if there are only a few).

c.nick 2011-04-14 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=TimothyMDean;27089]It would be really nice if the repeat settings for an action were a little more robust. Many tools I've worked with allow recurring events to be scheduled on things like the first Tuesday of the month, the last day of the month, etc.[/QUOTE]

That was November 2007.

But hey, some time last year we got redesigned icons!

I understand that Omni needs to prioritise. And I think they're generally doing a fabulous job there, including explaining why what gets prioritised.

It's only here that I don't get why a rather surprising redesign seemed more important than a basic feature, that's relevant to many practical use scenarios.

Let's wait for 2.0 and keep fingers crossed.

Chris

whpalmer4 2011-04-15 04:50 AM

Chris, that's much like asking why my yard was mowed yesterday instead of the kitchen getting cleaned up. The guy who cuts the grass (or in this case, designs the icons) is not the person who cleans the kitchen (writes user interface code).

c.nick 2011-04-17 08:50 AM

Fair point. So, take away the comparison with the redesign.
Reduce it to the observation that struck me:

whpalmer4 2011-04-17 10:35 AM

They've done plenty of work since 2007, so my conclusion is that the number of people who have actually bothered to send in a request for that feature hasn't been as large as one might expect, and the number of requests for other features has prompted them to apply the grease to squeakier wheels (or equally squeaky wheels that don't have easy workarounds).

I've got feature requests from 2007 I'm still waiting on, but I have reluctantly accepted that there aren't enough other people who have the good sense to be demanding the same things :-) Now, if they start putting in features that are just eye candy and don't add functionality, I'll get grumpy, but so far that hasn't been a problem.

For this particular need, a pretty easy workaround is to put the event in iCal (which has more powerful custom repeats) and have it email you a reminder the day before. Clip the reminder email into OmniFocus.

albyrne 2011-04-22 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;72198]... but it does require work, testing, and documentation...[/QUOTE]

Obviously documentation is the lowest priority of these! I see that the latest OF manual available is still at v1.5!!!

a

Brian 2011-04-22 03:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion, Albyrne - that version number is for the manual itself, not for the version of OmniFocus the manual refers to.

Greg Jones 2011-04-23 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=Brian;96293]Sorry for the confusion, Albyrne - that version number is for the manual itself, not for the version of OmniFocus the manual refers to.[/QUOTE]
Brian, the manual on the OmniFocus product page (v 1.5) does look like it is for a much older version as the copyright is 2008. Is there a link to a more current version of the OmniFocus Mac documentation?

DrJJWMac 2011-04-25 08:07 AM

I very much agree -- the scheduling of repeating tasks needs to be better handled in OmniFocus. I strongly prefer not to have to schedule TASKS as EVENTS in iCal, leading me to need two tools to manage my tasks instead of one. One should be able to schedule a task as repeating ...

* after every so much time (the only current option)
* at certain times during a week (eg, every MWF), month (eg, every 1st and 3rd Friday), year (eg, every other month)
* to re-occur only AFTER completion

Might I suggest OmniGroup has a look at the (far more flexible) way that Things handles repeating tasks as a template.

Brian 2011-04-25 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;96300]Brian, the manual on the OmniFocus product page (v 1.5) does look like it is for a much older version as the copyright is 2008. Is there a link to a more current version of the OmniFocus Mac documentation?[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, the manual was written against OmniFocus 1.7, which looks like it was released in August of '09. I'm betting we forgot to update the copyright notice when we did that rev of the manual, though. (Yeah, the file was created in May of 2009 - copyright notice is out of date. Bug filed!)

Revising the printed manual to account for the workflow changes we made in version 1.8 is on the to-do list.

(The online help has been updated since them, I believe - I emailed the appropriate folks here to double-check on this. Will report back when I hear from them.)

heroman 2011-04-26 03:39 PM

One more VOTE to add more functionality to the repeating option in OmniFocus. Sure would like to have repeating tasks not occur on weekends. And, yes I know of the work arounds.

awlogan 2011-06-07 10:11 AM

I'd really like to have this as well. I don't want to keep things in iCal or Outlook if I can avoid it, especially if they may not be able to be done on that day and would then slip off the radar. Many things I need to do are 'first work day of the month' or 'second Saturday'. Not having this feature when it was available in Outlook was the main reason I gave up on the Palm platform.

Also, as someone who writes documentation, keep your manual numbered the same as the SW version. Even if all you do is update the title page and copyright it saves a lot of confusion for new users.

skillet 2011-06-16 05:42 PM

Please Implement Robust Repeating

Wow I am totally shocked that for a planning app that something like repeating events for weekdays isn't a standard feature. I am 1 1/2 weeks into learning this app because repeating tasks in my Franklin Planner that I have been using for 15 years is driving me crazy.

I almost bought an iPad 2 today (I did and then canceled my order because I need to do more research) 90% because of OmniFocus and the need for a mobile planner and because I have found the syncing of OF between macs has been awesome!

Anyway repeating tasks that I can check off days of the week they repeat is vital as well as first Saturday of the month, Last Saturday and 4th Saturday as examples.

I read through page after page since this was thread was started in 2007 and hoped it would have a happy ending. None of the tips I read really cut it for me as valid work arounds.

I have to say though that I have been very impressed with OmniFocus in so many of its features. It was vital for me to be able to archive tasks that I have done for record keeping and from what I can tell OmniFocus does this well (that would have been a deal breaker for me if it didn't). Love the exporting to cvs and html as back ups for me to keep of what I have done.

I digress though, just didn't want to be all drama, but **PLEASE** add robust repeat options!

I didn't see in the help menu a feature request option there as was mentioned, was that in earlier versions then OF 1.9?

whpalmer4 2011-06-16 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=skillet;98675]None of the tips I read really cut it for me as valid work arounds.
[/quote]
And yet many, many thousands of repeating actions have been handled with those approaches. By all means, send in your request for better repeat support (see below), but the amount of time it takes to set things up is rarely an appreciable fraction of the time spent actually doing them. Warren Buffett's comment about "Well, it may be all right in practice, but it will never work in theory" often comes to mind when discussing this topic.

[quote]I didn't see in the help menu a feature request option there as was mentioned, was that in earlier versions then OF 1.9?[/QUOTE]
Help→Send Feedback is the command you want. It's been there for years...