The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Single actions in project folders (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8654)

amathie 2008-07-14 02:59 AM

Single actions in project folders

Here is the scenario:
I am using the top level of project folders to represent "areas of
responsibility", so for example I have folders for "Car maintenance",
"Rota organisation" etc

Now, if I have a multistep task that I need to do within one of these
areas of responsibility, I can create a project and then define the
multiple actions required within that project.

But, what happens when I only need to do a single action task in that area of responsibility: I don't seem to be able to place a single action within a folder. Do I have to create a project, only to put a single action of the same name within it?

I would be grateful if anyone could offer an elegant way of listing both projects and single actions with areas of responsibility

Many thanks

dhassell 2008-07-14 06:04 AM

Hey amathie!

I'm a new OF user myself and have organized myself the same way. When you create a project, in the project inspector floating pane, you can change the project to one of three times --- sequential where you have to do one thing followed by another, parallel where you can do all or any at any time, or single action -- when you change the type to a single action list, it turns it into a box that looks like a shoebox, so I have one of these boxes called "Miscellaneous" for each of my areas of responsibility. I also have a second shoebox called "Someday/Maybe" for most of my areas as well where I drop in future ideas that I'm not committed to doing right now.

Good luck!

Dave

amathie 2008-07-14 08:02 AM

Thanks for the ideas Dave,

Thats a pretty good workaround. I have used a hierarchical folder structure to define all the different aspects of my life, so at the bottom of the hierachy I have many different folders. I would have to add a "miscellaenous" project to each of them. Perhaps thats not so bad, although I would have though it would be easier to simply allow both projects (multi-step actions) and single step actions to be inserted into folders. This is possible in "Things" which has a very nice user interface, although I prefer the way contexts are dealt with in OF, given their own position on the left hand pane (rather than the tag system in Things)

Hope you're getting on well with OF. Remember to share any other tips!

Cheers

mikeyk22 2008-07-14 08:36 AM

This was also one of the few aspects of Things that I missed, and I also used the "shoebox in each folder" approach to map to the Areas of Responsibility concept (which I found useful). The only downside (other than clutter) is that it is something annoying to Smart Match the name; since all sub-projects in that folder have that folder's name in the match, matching the shoebox (that i usually just name the same as the folder) requires some creativity (for example, I have a "CS147" folder and a "CS147" shoebox inside; to match it, I have to type "CS CS" in Smart Match.