The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Omniweb 5.7 SPs/Beta Maxing out CPU (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7656)

revs 2008-03-30 12:57 PM

Omniweb 5.7 SPs/Beta Maxing out CPU

I have found with the builds of 5.7 I have used that very frequently Omniweb will hit 100% CPU and stay there. I have to quit the application to get back to normal levels.

Anyone else seeing this?

I though as we have now hit the Betas I best report it before its too late! :)

Forrest 2008-03-30 01:11 PM

What sites did you have open at the time?

jem 2008-03-30 09:07 PM

I've seen this several times (no windows open). I took a Sample and submitted a bug report.

revs 2008-03-30 11:33 PM

I don't notice that the CPU is at 100% until the fans in the MBP spin up, by then I can't be sure which site caused the issue. I'll have to do some thourough testing.

Forrest 2008-03-31 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=jem;35183]I've seen this several times (no windows open). I took a Sample and submitted a bug report.[/QUOTE]

So is this after closing windows or after launching OW with no windows open that it pegs the CPU?

revs 2008-04-21 12:41 AM

Just wanted to update this thread. I'm still getting this with the 5.7 release version.

No windows are open. And I'll hear the fans rev-up, so I check the Activity Monitor and see that OW is taking up 100% CPU.

OmniGuys - let me know how I can help! (logs, samples, etc)

Forrest 2008-04-21 07:54 AM

And this happens after launching the app too?

Take a Sample and then use Send Feedback... to send it to them with the description of the issue.

lukebacon 2008-04-22 10:32 PM

I can verify - the same thing happens for me, I've got, say, 3 tabs open that I'm browsing with and it still consistently maxes out 99-100% 4 2.66GHZ CORE 2 DUOS!! I have to say this could, regrettably, be the clinch feature for me - a web browser just can't take that much; I need to run Parallels and other applications that 'ought' to be CPU-intensive as well, without having to close my web browser...

Forrest 2008-04-23 07:49 AM

Generally it can be traced back to sites that poorly built Flash content or JavaScripts. Sometimes the JS continues to run even after the browser windows are closed. (That's why I asked about if the problem occurs after OW is restarted.)

This is a problem in all browsers. Right now Safari is in the background and eating up 80%+ of my CPU.

Forrest 2008-04-23 10:29 AM

Here's an example:
[url]http://www.thisisgoingtobebig.com/2007/08/path101-saving-.html[/url]

With that page open, Safari sucks up an extra 50-60%. Close it, it goes back down. Open it back up, it goes back up. You may have to scroll down a bit to get it to do it. Same thing in OW and Firefox.

Ayjay 2008-04-25 02:22 PM

In my case, YouTube videos that boost Safari 3.1's CPU usage to 40-50% boost OmniWeb 5.7's to 100%. I can watch a five-minute video at 50%, but not 100%.

arglborps 2008-04-30 11:13 PM

Here with OmniWeb 5.7 final I also find OW to be a CPU hog. A simple search for one word on Wikipedia went up to 90% CPU usage for several seconds.

Doing the same search with Safari 3.1.1 maxed out at 39%. OW used to be zippier than Safari for a long time, but for now Safari 3.1 feels faster and leaves the whole system more responsive...

Forrest 2008-05-01 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=arglborps;36178]Here with OmniWeb 5.7 final I also find OW to be a CPU hog. A simple search for one word on Wikipedia went up to 90% CPU usage for several seconds.

Doing the same search with Safari 3.1.1 maxed out at 39%. OW used to be zippier than Safari for a long time, but for now Safari 3.1 feels faster and leaves the whole system more responsive...[/QUOTE]

That's not really a fair comparison. OW does a lot more than Safari, so of course it'll use up more CPU when initially loading a page. Checking site prefs, adblocking...

arglborps 2008-05-05 04:24 AM

[QUOTE=Forrest;36190]That's not really a fair comparison. OW does a lot more than Safari, so of course it'll use up more CPU when initially loading a page. Checking site prefs, adblocking...[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say that, considering that I have SafariBlock, SafariTidy and SafariStand installed. So Safari, too is blocking ads, validating the HTML and also creating screenshots of the current page for the awesome CoverFlow history feature...

Still 39% to 90% just doesn't rectify the little more OmniWeb is nowadays doing compared to a pimped Safari.

vocaro 2008-05-12 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=lukebacon;35953]I can verify - the same thing happens for me, I've got, say, 3 tabs open that I'm browsing with and it still consistently maxes out 99-100% 4 2.66GHZ CORE 2 DUOS!![/QUOTE]

This has happened to me on occasion, but I can always trace it back to a site whose Flash app is apparently still running, even though I've closed its tab. Restarting OmniWeb puts CPU utilization back to 0%.

revs 2008-05-22 01:29 AM

The problem im getting is not high CPU (50 -60), but that Omniweb will go to 100% of the CPU and stay there. It wont go back down without quitting. Closing a window wont help.

I have taken a sample, if that helps, and am trying to pinpoint a certain website, but so far have not been able to.

Forrest 2008-05-22 07:52 AM

Send the sample in using Send Feedback... from the help menu. They should be able to give you an idea what's going on.

Brian 2008-05-22 03:36 PM

One possible explanation for stuff like this - in order to make your back button faster, we keep some number (5? 10?) of pages in memory, even if you're not looking at them right now. This avoids needing to fetch everything again from the network when you hit the back button.

This would include pages that use Flash. So if you just looked at a bunch of YouTube videos in a row, several of them are still kicking around in memory, in case you hit the back button and want to watch them again...

I'm not going to claim that this is the entire explanation of what folks are seeing, but it is likely a contributing factor.

Brian 2008-05-22 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=revs;36975]The problem im getting is not high CPU (50 -60), but that Omniweb will go to 100% of the CPU and stay there. It wont go back down without quitting. Closing a window wont help.

I have taken a sample, if that helps, and am trying to pinpoint a certain website, but so far have not been able to.[/QUOTE]

If closing the window didn't free up the memory, I'm less sure of what's going on. I [I]think[/I] that the OS X memory system only frees up memory when another application asks for it. So if we're using half of your memory, we'll hang onto that half until something asks us to free it up.

However, I'm quickly getting out of my depth here, so should shut up and let someone more qualified respond. :)

cristiana 2008-05-27 06:06 AM

Same thing is happening to me

OW is also running over 90% CPU for me also. It happens right after I load any page, even from a freshly restarted browser.

Brian 2008-05-27 12:57 PM

contact our support ninjas, please, so we can gather more information about what's going on.
[EMAIL="omniweb@omnigroup.com"]omniweb@omnigroup.com[/EMAIL]

revs 2008-06-05 02:37 AM

[QUOTE=Brian;37025]If closing the window didn't free up the memory, I'm less sure of what's going on. I [I]think[/I] that the OS X memory system only frees up memory when another application asks for it. So if we're using half of your memory, we'll hang onto that half until something asks us to free it up.

However, I'm quickly getting out of my depth here, so should shut up and let someone more qualified respond. :)[/QUOTE]

CPU Processing, not Memory ;-)

revs 2008-06-17 07:26 AM

hmm you know what, I have a feeling this may be something to do with SpeedDownload.

I'll update the thread if I can confirm this.

xiamenese 2008-06-19 05:41 PM

I notice that with OW, when a download is passed to SpeedDownload, OW doesn't always shut down it's own download process ... the main culprit I'm aware of being extremesims when I'm downloading an OmniGroup app! I don't know if the problem is with extremesims or OW, and I'm not geeky enough to know how to set about finding out. Next time I'll try the other download site and see if that closes its process or not.

I wonder if this is part of the problem revs is talking about.

Mark

Ilgaz 2008-06-21 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=Forrest;35974]Here's an example:
[url]http://www.thisisgoingtobebig.com/2007/08/path101-saving-.html[/url]

With that page open, Safari sucks up an extra 50-60%. Close it, it goes back down. Open it back up, it goes back up. You may have to scroll down a bit to get it to do it. Same thing in OW and Firefox.[/QUOTE]

If it is same thing in both browsers having nothing to do with eachother, a plugin (most likely flash) is responsible IMHO.

smalltransport 2008-06-21 01:28 PM

Speed Download 5 issues

Greetings all, I have been experiencing the CPU throttling issue as well. The fix I have found thus far and was alluded to above in this thread was to disable the Speed Download 5 plugin. I disabled the plugin via preferences > Plug-Ins, downloaded a few files, and engaged in general surfing and have had no CPU issues.

robotank 2008-06-24 10:06 PM

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be related to SpeedDownload, the browser plugin of which causes OmniWeb to go nuts on the CPU. If you're using SpeedDownload, disable it for OmniWeb and see if that helps. You can still drag links to the little floater window.

Mindflayer 2008-07-20 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=xiamenese;38377]I notice that with OW, when a download is passed to SpeedDownload, OW doesn't always shut down it's own download process ... the main culprit I'm aware of being extremesims when I'm downloading an OmniGroup app! I don't know if the problem is with extremesims or OW, and I'm not geeky enough to know how to set about finding out. Next time I'll try the other download site and see if that closes its process or not.

I wonder if this is part of the problem revs is talking about.

Mark[/QUOTE]

I can tell you it's not extremesims. :) I will tell you that a lot of those "speed download" programs are very very poorly written, and don't properly close sockets when done. A proper browser (like OW) and a good webserver will do just fine without a silly "downloader" program.

revs 2008-07-20 11:11 AM

Some of us need "silly" downloader programs. Nothing worse than quitting your webbrowser, not getting a warning, and losing downloads that are part done.. *cough*omniweb*cough*

Also, being able to schedule downloads is also a needed option for some.

xiamenese 2008-07-21 05:09 AM

The problem, as far as I can tell, at least on my machine, is not that Speed Download doesn't close it's sockets, it's that the combination of OW and extremesims doesn't close that socket when it passes the download over to SD. I haven't noticed this with any other server. Like Revs, I need SD, and it is much, much faster than OW, or Safari, or Opera ...

"Silly"? From a programmer's point of view, I don't know. "Poorly written"? Again I don't know, but I won't pass your comment over to Yazsoft ... I don't play those games. But from my point of view, over the years, SD has proved almost indispensable.

Mark

arglborps 2008-07-22 12:43 AM

Speed download is often considerably faster when downloading, because it usually opens several connections to the same server to download files. Especially on servers that limit the bandwith per connection this makes all the difference. I don't think it's a silly programme either, no sir.