The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniPlan General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Resources Management & Evaluation (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11190)

Druka White 2009-01-29 11:55 AM

Resources Management & Evaluation

Hi, Currently testing trial and have plenty of questions. But the first two are about resource management.

1-I need to manage many projects, and my resources are shared among multiple projects. I need to schedule everything considering those resources might be taken by other projects.

So... Should I put all projects in the same file? Or is there a way to link all projects together?

2-Concerning evaluation of the project. I would need to know my cost AND how much I should charge to the client. I can setup the cost of a resource, but where can I assign a charge for it? And by the way I don't charge my clients the same prices for each of my resources.

So how should I deal with this?

thank you

skwirl 2009-02-04 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Druka White;54420]Hi, Currently testing trial and have plenty of questions. But the first two are about resource management.

1-I need to manage many projects, and my resources are shared among multiple projects. I need to schedule everything considering those resources might be taken by other projects.

So... Should I put all projects in the same file? Or is there a way to link all projects together?

2-Concerning evaluation of the project. I would need to know my cost AND how much I should charge to the client. I can setup the cost of a resource, but where can I assign a charge for it? And by the way I don't charge my clients the same prices for each of my resources.

So how should I deal with this?

thank you[/QUOTE]

1-The easiest way to do this is to create a group for each project in the same file, then list all the tasks as sub-tasks. This allows you to share the same resource pool in one OmniPlan file. There is no way to link multiple project files with OmniPlan currently, but it is a feature request.

2-We don't have a set column for client costs, another feature request in development database. You can create a custom column by going to the Task : Custom Data inspector and adding a new column named "Client Cost", but there are limitations to this because the value in the custom column won't automatically calculate or total like the Cost column does.

lkagan 2009-03-03 06:21 PM

Count me as another vote for resource pooling. I just bought omniplan and was a bit disappointed that pooling isn't an option. Nonetheless, the software as a whole, is fantastic.

skwirl 2009-03-18 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=lkagan;56088]Count me as another vote for resource pooling. I just bought omniplan and was a bit disappointed that pooling isn't an option. Nonetheless, the software as a whole, is fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Vote added!