The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Mail clipping: no attachments in Lion [A: caused by change to Mail.app in 10.7] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21718)

lgallerano 2011-07-26 08:09 AM

Mail clipping: no attachments in Lion [A: caused by change to Mail.app in 10.7]

I am running Lion and have been able to get the clip o tron to work, but the mail attachments are not coming over. I read a post that this had been addressed in 1.9.1 so I downgraded to see if that would work...it didn't.

That said, I can manually attach files in Omnifocus...which would be fine for the time being, BUT attachments in the action items do not get replicated to the iPhone app. This is a feature that is critical to my work as I'm on the road a lot and need to be able to reference documents on my iPhone.

Does anyone know how to fix these problems? I have exchanged emails with support regarding the clip o tron, but not the iphone attachments. PLEASE HELP! I need this functionality back ASAP.

Lizard 2011-07-26 02:21 PM

By default, when you drag an attachment into OmniFocus, it creates a link. If you want the file actually in your database (so it can be synced to your iPhone), you need to hold down Option while you drag. (Your mouse cursor will get a green plus badge instead of the curvy arrow.)

menza 2011-07-27 10:30 AM

I am having the same problems. Attachments were copied over in Snow Leopard. I cannot drag the file from mail and press the option key at the same time.

wreising 2011-07-28 07:37 AM

Same here. No amount of uninstall and reinstall of the Clip-o-Tron will get the attachments to follow the message into OF.

FMiguélez 2011-07-28 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=menza;100019]I am having the same problems. Attachments were copied over in Snow Leopard. [B] I cannot drag the file from mail and press the option key at the same time.[/B][/QUOTE]

Have you tried grabbing the file normally (click and drag) and only press option (or control for links) just before you release it into OF?

merpublic 2011-07-29 05:01 AM

Same problem

Just to +1 this- I'm having the same trouble. Have tried all the usual solutions.

Brian 2011-07-29 03:05 PM

Sorry for the trouble! Email the [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL]; we'll be happy to investigate/help.

dennismccarthy 2011-08-02 06:24 AM

Yup. Doesn't work.

Same problem here. And dragging email from Lion Mail to OF also more than a little flaky. Seems to be no way to get emails to come over with their attachments!

John Bramhall 2011-08-19 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Lizard;99985]By default, when you drag an attachment into OmniFocus, it creates a link. If you want the file actually in your database (so it can be synced to your iPhone), you need to hold down Option while you drag. (Your mouse cursor will get a green plus badge instead of the curvy arrow.)[/QUOTE]

"Send to Inbox" sends over the e-mail message body but not the attachments. I see this deficiency was noted 2-3 weeks ago, but I wonder if there's a solution yet. Clearly, the ability to move the combined email body plus attachments to OF, with one command, that was a feature of OSX 10.6 was extremely useful and it would be great to recover this function in 10.7.

daltongreen 2011-08-20 05:19 AM

+1 for needing fix for Clipotron attachments

I agree, I truly miss the ability to clip both an email and its attachment into Omnifocus. Losing the ability to do this has really hampered my workflow. I am hoping for a solution soon.

StefMercury 2011-08-21 09:36 AM

+1 -- under Lion, email attachments are NOT going into actions! This is a big deal for me. Surely this is an easy one for the Omnigroup to test and provide a fix?

fullcity 2011-08-22 08:09 AM

I'm not able to get the Clip-o-tron to copy anything over to Mail.

[QUOTE]Errors returned from handler <ScriptHandler:0x88e710 com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.ScriptHandler.Mail_with_MailTags NSBundle </Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/PlugIns/BuiltInClippingHandlers.plugin> (not yet loaded)>: {
NSAppleScriptErrorAppName = Mail;
NSAppleScriptErrorBriefMessage = "Can\U2019t get project of message id 537379 of mailbox \"INBOX\" of account \"FullCity\".";
NSAppleScriptErrorMessage = "Mail got an error: Can\U2019t get project of message id 537379 of mailbox \"INBOX\" of account \"FullCity\".";
NSAppleScriptErrorNumber = -1728;
NSAppleScriptErrorRange = NSRange: {3139, 7};
}[/QUOTE]

Greg Jones 2011-08-22 08:37 AM

[quote]I'm not able to get the Clip-o-tron to copy anything over to Mail.[/quote]

You'll need to uncheck the Mail with MailTags option in the OmniFocus clipping preference. The internal OmniFocus script plugin, or MailTags, or both, are not working together in Lion.

Brian 2011-08-23 02:22 PM

My understanding is that the early preview builds of MailTags 3 removed support for AppleScript. Since our clipping plugins depend on AppleScript, they broke.

I think I saw someone say on Twitter that the most recent MailTags 3 release restored AppleScript support. If so, installing that build should fix this.

I'm not a MailTags user, though, so please take this with a giant grain of salt until someone with actual experience with the app chimes in. :-)

Lizard 2011-08-25 01:29 PM

The other issue we're facing is that Mail in Lion does not support the approach we were using to retrieve Mail attachments in Snow Leopard.

Guy Bjerke 2011-08-25 02:26 PM

I found today that if I disabled the Clip-o-tron in OF it then worked in Mail and vis-versa. Still no attachments, but emails ended up in OF. Weird.

jgrafix 2011-08-30 06:09 AM

MailTags still doesn't have AppleScript support that I can see.

However, as far as I can tell, that should have nothing to do with missing attachments. I have disabled the Mail with MailTags option since it was throwing errors. The attachments still don't come over. I agree with the rest, this is a huge problem for me.

whpalmer4 2011-08-30 06:27 AM

You saw Lizard's post saying that Apple removed the mechanism they had been using to get the attachments, right? Without a new version of OmniFocus, I don't think you are going to see attachments just magically start appearing...

LuMe96 2011-09-07 03:09 AM

Hi,

I don't know about Clip-O-Tron. I wanted some customization so I wrote my own Applescript to create tasks from Mail and adding attachments works fine with my script.

It's part of a larger library but if some people are interested, I might find some time to make it stand-alone and share it.

Just let me know.

Bye

Brian 2011-09-07 03:14 PM

LuMe96, if you haven't already, it would be awesome if you could send a copy of your script to [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]omnifocus@omnigroup.com[/EMAIL] - just in case you've found a method that the other folks on the team hadn't seen when they were looking at this previously. Thanks for the help!

LuMe96 2011-09-07 11:31 PM

Hi Brian and all,

ok, I was sort of surprised anyway by the fact that OmniGroup wouldn't be able to handle mail attachments whereas I was / am.

Done some more research and fact is that Mail 5 currently has an Applescript bug when it comes to saving attachments. I do not experience this pb with my custom Applescript simply because I run a dev version / update of Lion that has this bug corrected.

So the information to retain here is that the next public release of Lion will probably have this bug corrected as well and Clip-o-Tron will probably work as expected after that.

I'm obviously still willing to share my script but I guess it won't do any better until the next Lion release is out as my way of retrieving attachments is the "standard" way of doing it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bye,
Lutz

lgallerano 2011-09-11 08:13 AM

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that it will be eventually fixed. That said, do you by any chance know when the next Mail 5 update will be?

LuMe96 2011-09-11 11:33 AM

Hi,

[QUOTE=lgallerano;101630]Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that it will be eventually fixed. That said, do you by any chance know when the next Mail 5 update will be?[/QUOTE]

No obviously, as always, there's no ETA.

Sorry but that is all I have.

tschnick 2011-09-19 08:52 AM

script as workaround for the attachment disaster

can anyone please supply the corresponding script from LuMe96?

thank you much for your support...

cheers,

thomas

Brian 2011-09-19 03:53 PM

Thomas, the script in question only worked for LuMe96 because he's running an unreleased version of Mac OS X.

Once Apple releases that update to Lion to the rest of us, this should start working properly for everyone. Until Apple releases that update, though, it's not something we'll be able to script around or fix on our end. Sorry for the inconvenience.

tschnick 2011-09-19 11:30 PM

dear brian,

no good news so far... but anyway... the issue is related to the mail client... so is there any other mail client for other mail-accounts than gmail, which works with omnifocus, clipping and attachments?

cheers,

thomas

Marc S 2012-01-12 11:06 AM

Current status of e-mail attachments from Apple Mail?

Back to the original post in the thread, what is the current status of being able to have attachments included in e-mails from Apple Mail that are sent to OF? This still has not been fixed in the most recent versions (up to 1.9.4).

Thanks

Brian 2012-01-12 01:01 PM

Marc, Lion made some changes to Mail's applescript interface that caused the attachments to not be brought over any more. Our understanding is that this isn't intentional - we're waiting for an update to OS X that should fix the issue.

(This is based on info in [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21718"]this thread[/URL], which I'll move these posts over to momentarily.)

Marc S 2012-01-12 01:14 PM

Thanks for the update Brian.

LuMe96 2012-01-14 12:36 AM

Hi,

well I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been resolved.

I had it working back in September on a Lion beta with my script. Don't remember exact version, but given that 10.7.2 was released in October to public, it must have been a 10.7.2 beta. Right now I'm already on the next beta, so I can't test on a public release of 10.7.2 but I really don't see why this should work on beta releases only.

Anyway, I've done some tidying up on my script and uploaded it here :
[url]http://bit.ly/yU0yxl[/url]

It's a simple script. Some parameters in the first section for customization, followed by the script itself.

Personally, I've set up a Global Hotkey with Alfred + Powerpack to run it on the selected Mail messages. (BetterTouchTool could be a free alternative for setting up a Global Hotkey).

Running it (debugging it) from within the Applescript Editor will not work as Mail has to be the frontmost application (my intention was to create a script not limited to Mail, that's why I check the current frontmost app).

You can however change this my modifying the following part (situated at the top of the SCRIPT section) :

[CODE]tell application "System Events"

set appname to name of the first process whose frontmost is true

if (appname = "Mail") then
my AddFromAppleMail()
else
--display dialog appname
my EmptyQuickAdd(appname)
end if
end tell[/CODE]

replace by

[CODE]tell application "System Events"
set appname to name of the first process whose frontmost is true
my AddFromAppleMail()
end tell[/CODE]

For those interested, this script is obviously free for any use, I would however appreciate feedback (and acknowledgment if redistributed).

If you have questions or problems, feel free to ask here.

Bye

LuMe96 2012-01-27 04:20 AM

Oh, come on guys. More than 15 downloads of the script these last 12 days and not a single reply / post to let me know if it works for you. :(

curationis 2012-03-11 06:24 AM

Embed files in OmniFocus from mail?

I think i was able to embed files from mail. Now i get a link to the original message. But my mail server have a limited space. So how do i embed files from mail using the Clip-O-Tron 3000?

Best regards

Brian 2012-03-13 04:06 PM

Whether the attachment gets included or not is a function of what version of OS X your Mac is running; the attachment not being imported is caused by a change Apple made to Mail in recent versions of OS X. We're hoping they change it back at some point.

(Moving this post to a thread with more info on this subject; responding in the original location so all the appropriate notification options fire.)

AndyKemp 2012-04-22 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=LuMe96;106200]Hi,
Anyway, I've done some tidying up on my script...
[/QUOTE]

I've been testing out Omnifocus for a few days and wasn't able to get the Clip-o-tron to pass the attachments through to omnifocus which is really annoying! However I've downloaded and tested this script which works exactly as expected. Would be great however if it could be modified to act as a proper Omnifocus plugin so it then integrates with the rest of the clipping services...

Anyone know if this would be possible?

scbates 2012-05-09 08:48 PM

:(

I nearly cried when 10.7.4 didn't fix this. I actually can't describe how big of a problem this is for me and my workflow. Perhaps I just roll back to Snow Leopard. Sigh. -Scott

turnbullrichard 2012-05-18 10:25 PM

Works a charm, thanks!

[QUOTE=LuMe96;106200]Hi,

Anyway, I've done some tidying up on my script and uploaded it here :

It's a simple script. Some parameters in the first section for customization, followed by the script itself.
<snip>
For those interested, this script is obviously free for any use, I would however appreciate feedback (and acknowledgment if redistributed).

If you have questions or problems, feel free to ask here.

Bye[/QUOTE]

skilfullycurled 2014-02-20 04:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been dead for two years, but I'm still a Lion user.

I am also experiencing this problem. I have tried all the remedies suggested in this forum except for the custom applescript.

1) has this been fixed in the last two years?

2) if not, what information can I provide to help diagnose the problem?

Thanks!