The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac is now available! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=17867)

Ken Case 2010-09-09 11:54 AM

OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac is now available!

Today we're releasing [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus/download/"]OmniFocus 1.8[/URL], a free update for anyone using OmniFocus for Mac. OmniFocus 1.8 includes numerous updates to improve the user interface, workflow, and reliability.

The 1.8 update will now clean up automatically when switching views, moving items to their proper locations, just like OmniFocus for iPhone and OmniFocus for iPad. Filtering is improved with the more flexible View Bar. All items, including groups, projects, and Inbox items, can appear in Context-mode lists, making them easier to find. Also, groups and projects can now become next actions, so there is no need to switch to Planning mode to finish up a project.

Perspectives can now be easily shared as files, by simply dragging them out of OmniFocus. As introduced in OmniFocus for iPhone, a new bookmarklet can send web pages to the Inbox from a web browser.

Synchronization is faster and even more stable. Additionally, due item alerts can be synchronized alongside the OmniFocus database as a calendar.

For more information, including complete release notes, please visit the OmniFocus download page. If you're already using OmniFocus, you can Check for Updates from the OmniFocus menu to automatically download and install this latest update.

We hope you enjoy [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus/download/"]OmniFocus 1.8[/URL]!

policarpo 2010-09-09 01:24 PM

Very cool.

Quick question though?

I can email Tasks from the iPad to the desktop and it opens as a Task in the QuickEntry window, however, when I copy Link from OF desktop and email, it does absolutely nothing.

Am I missing something?

whpalmer4 2010-09-09 01:46 PM

What link are you copying?

The link in the email is of the form:

omnifocus:///add?name=action_name&note=note_text (yes, 3 slashes)

The link you get from Copy as Link on the desktop is just a pointer to an existing item, and isn't going to do you any good when handed to another OmniFocus database.

policarpo 2010-09-09 02:01 PM

I was hoping for the same functionality on the Desktop that I get from the iPad. :(

The iPad offers a simple way to send tasks to other OF users. I would be nice to do this from a group level though...but maybe soon. :)

ewelch 2010-09-09 02:49 PM

Just installed it. All my data is now gone. I went to backups and told it to replace backups from August 17 and back to January 12 and when the restore is done, there is no data whatsoever. Even though the files appear to be good and have data in them in the backup folder.

Brian 2010-09-09 03:04 PM

ewelch, I'm really sorry for the confusion here - by far the most likely explanation here is that some combination of settings under the View menu is hiding your actions. That would explain why reverting to a backup isn't appearing to change anything - it doesn't touch those view menu settings.

If you select the "All Items" option under the Perspectives menu, does your data become visible again?

If not, contact us via phone (800.315.6664) or [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]email[/EMAIL] and we'll be happy to investigate this with you!

derekr 2010-09-09 03:09 PM

Hey Policarpo. Just created a quick script for someone else. Perhaps you could use Automator to put it in Services.

[url]http://db.tt/4tw0Jwt[/url]

policarpo 2010-09-09 03:46 PM

@Derek Cool...any chance the script could be tweaked to include NOTES. :)

Thanks.
-policarpo

jakobox 2010-09-10 03:24 AM

I love the addition of publishing to a calendar! However, for me, this would be truly useful if you could also publish the *start* date.

My second thought on that is more minor, but it would also be cool if you could have the option to publish each event as an "all day" event (rarely do I have to start/finish any actions that I keep in OF at a specific time of the day).

But overall, glad to see you guys keeping at it with the improvements!

kirkafur 2010-09-10 05:18 AM

Calendar?

Can I set a default alarm to the calendar?

Also, my default due time in OF is 6AM. In iCal, some days have several items overlapping so that I can't see them. Can this OF iCal calendar be set to show due items as all-day events?

rmathes 2010-09-10 07:07 AM

I'm glad to see there is now the ability to set a preference item to not import Mail attachments when clipping an email to the inbox.

But where do I set that preference? I'm not seeing it.

Ken Case 2010-09-10 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=rmathes;85359]I'm glad to see there is now the ability to set a preference item to not import Mail attachments when clipping an email to the inbox.

But where do I set that preference? I'm not seeing it.[/QUOTE]

We plan to expose this in Clippings Preferences in an upcoming update, but it's not there yet; for now, you have to set it by pasting this command into a Terminal window:

[CODE]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus ClippingsIgnoreAttachments -bool true[/CODE]

Once you've done that, restart OmniFocus and you should start seeing the new behavior.

Hope this helps!

rmathes 2010-09-10 07:31 AM

that worked like a champ, thanks Ken.

raphael 2010-09-14 07:43 AM

Hi all !

Before upgrading to 1.8, i read the new features and found out that project without tasks will be automatically marked as "stalled"...

Is it something that can be controled ?

My database contains projects with no task but i want them to remain active.
I review them weekly and add task if needed...

Maybe i don't use OF the right way...but well..that how i do it...

Thanks a lot for this GREAT soft...my all life is in the database...

whpalmer4 2010-09-14 07:58 AM

They aren't really marked, it's just that they will show up in the list of stalled projects if you set the view bar to only show stalled projects. Otherwise, they don't look any different than projects with actions (except, of course, that they don't have any actions!) and will continue to show up just as they did in 1.7.5. There should be no impact on your workflow.

Ken Case 2010-09-14 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=raphael;85568]Before upgrading to 1.8, i read the new features and found out that project without tasks will be automatically marked as "stalled"...

[…]

My database contains projects with no task but i want them to remain active.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for any confusion! Those projects still appear on the active list as well; the "stalled" list is a list of active projects which have no actions assigned (i.e. it's a subset of the active list).

blueruin 2010-09-15 08:25 AM

Email clipping

Clipping no longer works with mail. Why does this happen every time I upgrade or do anything?

ifonline 2010-09-15 08:37 AM

Have you read this: [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13906[/url]

blueruin 2010-09-15 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=ifonline;85633]Have you read this: [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13906[/url][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've read it, and gone through it before in the past. And how about this:

I don't have time to fix software which should have been fixed in the first place! How about Omnigroup gives me an update which works! That I don't have to time to mess with to get it to work how it's supposed to, how it's advertised to work!

How about this: You're the computer programmers. Right? I'm I missing something here? I paid YOU for software, and you YOU fix it if it doesn't work! How's that for a concept!

blueruin 2010-09-15 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=ifonline;85633]Have you read this: [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13906[/url][/QUOTE]

Long story short:

Yeah, I spend an hour or two fixing omnigroup's mess when they updated last time. Now they're updating again, and I don't want to have to do it anymore! Sell software which works!

derekr 2010-09-15 01:43 PM

blueruin—*Clipping stopped working with the OmniFocus 1.8 update? Or did you recently update your OS? To be honest, we haven't had reports of shortcuts ceasing to work with regular OmniFocus updates. Let us know what happened, though, [URL="mailto:omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]here[/URL].

blueruin 2010-09-15 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=derekr;85659]blueruin—*Clipping stopped working with the OmniFocus 1.8 update? Or did you recently update your OS? To be honest, we haven't had reports of shortcuts ceasing to work with regular OmniFocus updates. Let us know what happened, though, [URL="mailto:omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]here[/URL].[/QUOTE]

OF was working just fine. Upgraded to 1.8. Clipping no longer works in Mail or Safari. I upgraded to the latest version of OS X several weeks ago.

myfre 2010-09-17 03:14 PM

keeps opening old version of my file, doesn't save changes

when I open omni, it pulls opens a really old file...

just upgraded to 1.8 and I think that's what caused the problem,
but maybe I had it before and didn't notice it.
trying to isolate it now...

please tell me, when I have a file open, can i find out which filename it is?

is it important to store manual backups in the same folder that it stores automated backups. I have confirmed they are the same.

when I open omnifocus, which file does it open? the newest one in the automated backups folder? it's not doing so for me.

I have moved all old backups to a folder called oldomnibackups, and placed only the version of the file I want in the automated backups folder.

I open omni, and somehow it pulls up a really old file, which would now be located in oldomnibackups. I don't know where it gets the file from.

if i open omni, by clicking the file i want, it opens the correct file.
the problem is when I open omni by using the omni icon.

then when i close it, it autosaves a newer version of the really old file.
so my correct new one is getting buried by the incorrect new ones with new time stamps.

help!

curt.clifton 2010-09-19 05:15 PM

When you launch OF it opens the file in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus. It has since version 1.0 in 2007. Backup files are only opened if you open the backup file directly.

Ken Case 2010-09-19 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=myfre;85801]if i open omni, by clicking the file i want, it opens the correct file.
the problem is when I open omni by using the omni icon.

then when i close it, it autosaves a newer version of the really old file.
so my correct new one is getting buried by the incorrect new ones with new time stamps.[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and launch OmniFocus with its really old data (your library database), then open the file menu and use "Revert to Database Backup" to replace it with the backup database that you'd like to use going forward.

Hope this helps!

johnrover 2012-02-12 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;85363]We plan to expose this in Clippings Preferences in an upcoming update, but it's not there yet; for now, you have to set it by pasting this command into a Terminal window:

[CODE]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus ClippingsIgnoreAttachments -bool true[/CODE]

Once you've done that, restart OmniFocus and you should start seeing the new behavior.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Ken– What I really need is the ability to include or exclude email attachments via different key commands- or right clicking- or something relatively accessable. I'm constantly kicking emails into OF.

1) sometimes the attachments are important and I want them in OF so they sync to my other OF installs in other places.

2) MOST of the time, however, I want to kick the email in without the stupid embedded graphics and whatnot so they don't bloat my OF database.

Any suggestions?

johnrover 2012-02-25 10:11 AM

bump

Lizard 2012-02-27 09:42 AM

Sorry we missed this earlier, John. It's often easier to get your message noticed if you start a new thread. This one had been hibernating since 2010.

I can't think of a way to accomplish this currently. But I'll file a feature request for this enhancement.

johnrover 2012-06-26 08:53 AM

Thanks for submitting the feature request.

Any word on it's inclusion in a future version?

Brian 2012-06-29 04:01 PM

It's under consideration for inclusion in future versions, but no firm decision's been made and there's no ETA.

P.S. - no big deal, but please [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16307"]don't do "bump" posts[/URL] in the future.

johnrover 2012-10-16 11:25 AM

Any new news on this?

Lizard 2012-10-16 05:47 PM

Not really. We're focused on a pretty thorough UI overhaul for OmniFocus 2.

By the way, this thread has wandered rather off-topic from the OmniFocus 1.8 release, so I'm going to close it. If you'd like to discuss this specific issue further, please open a new thread.