The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Will sync time be improved soon? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=14263)

Brian 2009-12-17 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=kammeyer;70863]First, let me say that I love Omnifocus. No other app compares in power, and using it has significantly improved my life. It is worth at least 50x what I paid for it. The availability of Omnifocus was a signifcant reason I switched to the Mac platform.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely understood, and no offense taken. Thank you.

[QUOTE=kammeyer;70863]That said, I have followed the advice here, and it always does help temporarily, but the problem always returns. The problem is that the sync problems are not fundamentally a support issue, they are a software architecture issue. Telling users to contact support as if it is some problem with their configuration rather than a problem with the software itself is disingenuous.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like my intent didn't come through as well as it should have; I should have been clearer, and I'm sorry. When we post, we have to try and write a response that works both as a response to the poster, and also for some other person with a similar problem that reads the thread a day, month, or year later.

In any case, our goal in recommending this approach isn't to assign blame - it's to try and solve the problem as quickly as possible. Support that takes the customer's particular combination of variables into account does that, and stands the best chance of getting the dev team the information they need to fix the problem for everyone else.

It's absolutely not the customer's fault if (for example) the WebDAV server they use handles things differently than the other ones we've worked with. It may be something we need to address in our code. Before we can do that, we need to find out more about what's going on.

I know you're frustrated, and you don't necessarily have time contact us, and I'm truly sorry I need to ask you to do so. Especially if the problem keeps coming back in the manner you describe, I want to figure out why and fix it, so it doesn't take more time from you in the future.

That's how we helped Bill and Dennis get the performance they're reporting now, and we can do it for you if you let us. Trust me, they didn't always have it so good. :-)

(I didn't forget about the technical suggestions you made. I'm not an engineer, but I will show this to them, and post again with more info.)

Brian 2009-12-18 12:24 PM

Follow-up after engineer conversation: changing the data format would provide some improvement, and is one of the things we're considering as we work on the app. We feel like there are bigger gains to be had, though, and we're looking into them as well. :-)

kammeyer 2009-12-18 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;70911]Follow-up after engineer conversation: changing the data format would provide some improvement, and is one of the things we're considering as we work on the app. We feel like there are bigger gains to be had, though, and we're looking into them as well. :-)[/QUOTE]

Brian,

Thanks for replying, and I'm glad you have it figured out. I can't wait for the new version!

Toadling,

I'm not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic, but I've certainly entertained the idea of writing a todo list app, but Omni has developed one that is almost exactly what I want. It's much easier to needle the developers of an already existing app to fix the one problem I have than to write my own :)