The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniOutliner for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Yeah!! Dropbox does work with outliner for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22887)

deanrostad 2011-12-13 07:08 PM

Yeah!! Dropbox does (kinda) work with outliner for iPad

I have found the solution to using drop-box with outliner for iPad.

The answer is: save your file as a "OPML" file.

here are the steps:

1. On your iPad, open outliner and select the document you want to sync.
2. Select "send to App".
3. Select OPML file
4. Choose Open in "Dropbox" (assuming that is already installed on your iPad)
5. Dropbox will open and ask you where to place the file.
And that is it!!

To open a file
1. Open up drop-box on your iPad and select the OPML file.
2. Hit the top right button to tell it to open it in OmniOutliner.

You won't be able to save images in the files. But I can live with OPML limitations if it enables me to sync with drop box!!!

On my macbook I can open up the OPML files directly and they save as OPML files without any exporting which is also awesome!

rogbar 2011-12-14 08:37 PM

It almost worked for me. I selected an outline in OO for iPad (called Test), and sent the OPML to Dropbox. It went there just fine.

But when I opened Dropbox later, selected Test.opml and told Dropbox to open it in OO for iPad, it created a copy of the original, and called it Test 2.opml. Now I have two "Test" files in OO for iPad.

Am I doing something wrong?

whpalmer4 2011-12-15 10:54 AM

Unlike what happens on the Mac, you aren't actually opening the original file from the old app's sandbox in the new app, you're opening a copy of it that is made by the OS in the new app's sandbox. Further evidence of this is the fact that if you go change the version in Dropbox, when you go to OmniOutliner you won't find the change there, unless you first go to Dropbox, find the file, and do "Open in OmniOutliner" again. As long as you realize this, and don't mind throwing out old, unneeded versions, this behavior isn't necessarily a bad thing. When you send the document to Dropbox, they give you the warning about overwriting an existing file, whereas Omni just makes a different version. Pretty safe bet that some people will be confused with either option, but the Omni approach at least saves all of the pieces.

There are apps which connect directly to Dropbox's servers and fetch/save the files where you would get the changes propagated to you. They can only do so when you have internet connectivity. Files you've saved to Dropbox and marked as a favorite in the Dropbox app, on the other hand, are cached locally on your device, and you can still access them without internet connectivity, though they might be stale if the document has been changed elsewhere while you've been without connectivity.

deanrostad 2011-12-15 11:13 AM

After I imported my ompl file from the Dropbox I deleted the original outliner file. Then after I made some changes I exported it back to the Dropbox (overwrite the existing file). Then the most current file would always be in the Dropbox.

Dan Baril 2011-12-17 05:19 AM

Sounds like an awful lot of work for a result that does not include the entire file, i.e., no pics....etc. I'll just wait for Omni Group to introduce the functionality natively to the app either for dropbox or iCloud as they have said they would do. Just hoping we won't have to keep waiting for ever!