The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Can I sync only some but not all projects? Security issue (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22802)

joegrant413 2011-12-03 06:34 AM

Can I sync only some but not all projects? Security issue

Hello,

I'd like to use Omnifocus to replace Remember the Milk for both private and work use. My job has a pretty strict security policy regarding data, so my work-related projects must reside only my company Mac or company servers, etc.

Can I sync Omnifocus so that....?

- Work folders from the work Mac do not get synced
- Personal folders do get synced
- I can access personal folders from my iPod Touch, Android phone, my personal Mac and any public web browser?

- If the answers to the above are "no", could I somehow create a separate account of Omnifocus, one for work, one for home, without having to buy a separate license a Omnifocus app on my personal Mac?

Any tips or responses appreciated!

Thanks,
-- Joe

Christian 2011-12-04 10:47 AM

I do not think separate syncing is possible. I am no authority on syncing though so I could very well be wrong there.

I have an idea though: if you would talk to your companies IT admin and ask him to give you access to a folder on your companies web server that you can use as a WebDAV. It only takes him to create one folder and give you permissions to access it. Since your data would stay on the companies server, would that be in compliance with your companies security standards? Or can you also not have data on your mobile devices?

whpalmer4 2011-12-04 09:28 PM

Yeah, there's no provision at present for syncing only some of the data in a given OmniFocus database. It's all or nothing. This does have the nice result that any copy of the database will suffice as a backup. If your Mac loses its disk (or you get another Mac), you've still got a complete copy on the sync server and your iPod Touch, assuming you've synced recently, and you just need to launch OmniFocus on the replacement Mac, configure the sync credentials and click the Sync button to get your database up and running.

[quote]
- I can access personal folders from my iPod Touch, Android phone, my personal Mac and any public web browser?
[/quote]
There used to be some code that would allow you to visit your tasks from a web browser if you had your machine accessible from the outside world (probably not true in your case!) but it wasn't very satisfying, and who knows if it even works at this point. Right now, your only good options are Macs and iOS devices; other devices that know how to sync with iCal are perhaps better than a sharp stick in the eye, but keeping some pocket space for the iPod Touch is far superior.
[quote]
- If the answers to the above are "no", could I somehow create a separate account of Omnifocus, one for work, one for home, without having to buy a separate license a Omnifocus app on my personal Mac?
[/quote]
I'm not 100% sure about the license implications — if the license for the work machine belongs to your employer, it may not cover also using it on your personal machine. Maybe Brian will chime in, or send an email to [email]sales@omnigroup.com[/email] and ask them. Assuming the license terms aren't an issue, you could set up two separate user accounts on your personal Mac, and have one sync to the same database as the work Mac, and the other use a separate database (and separate sync account, if you wanted to sync it to your iPod Touch). Omni Sync Server accounts are free, so you could use that as your personal sync repository, and the company stuff could either use a company WebDAV server (either bringing your personal machine to the office, if it is portable, or using a VPN to the company network), or you could sync via USB stick. The databases would be completely independent. I would make sure the company was okay with you having the data on a machine at home, though.

Brian 2011-12-05 03:46 PM

I'd do the following on your work Mac before setting up sync or anything like that.

Quit OmniFocus
Open <your home folder>/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/
(If you don't see a Library folder in your home folder, open the Finder's Go menu while holding down the Option key on your keyboard.)

Locate the "OmniFocus.ofocus" file in the Application Support/OmniFocus folder.
Select it in the finder, then Option-drag it to your desktop, which makes a new copy of the data. Name it "Work Database.ofocus" or whatever suits you.

You can now set up sync as per normal; tasks stored in the "normal" database will be synced; tasks stored in the renamed one will not.

You'll need to open the work task database via double-click in the Finder or something along those lines, but your work tasks'll stay on the work machine without being synced to your other devices. Should keep the security folks at work happy.