The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Applying OmniFocus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Event-Triggered Action (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21550)

dp1 2011-07-07 06:19 AM

Event-Triggered Action

I have a single action that cannot be done until after an event occurs. I don't know when that event will occur. Yet, the action is essential and, after the event has occurred, will be urgent. I don't want it in my face every day while I wait for an event that may not occur for a month, but neither do I want it buried in my huge list of Someday/Maybe actions. What's the best way to handle this?

CatOne 2011-07-07 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=dp1;99292]I have a single action that cannot be done until after an event occurs. I don't know when that event will occur. Yet, the action is essential and, after the event has occurred, will be urgent. I don't want it in my face every day while I wait for an event that may not occur for a month, but neither do I want it buried in my huge list of Someday/Maybe actions. What's the best way to handle this?[/QUOTE]

Set a flag on it, make the tasks sequential, and use the "flagged list" for essential items, is one way. Only way I can really think of, as you can't auto-set a due date (well, maybe you can with a script, but that's beyond my expertise).

dp1 2011-07-07 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=CatOne;99299]Set a flag on it, make the tasks sequential, and use the "flagged list" for essential items, is one way. Only way I can really think of, as you can't auto-set a due date (well, maybe you can with a script, but that's beyond my expertise).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, CatOne. Unfortunately, that particular option would require other changes to my procedure. In my setup, a flag means "You don't sleep tonight until this is done."

pete340 2011-07-08 04:54 AM

[QUOTE=dp1;99292]I have a single action that cannot be done until after an event occurs. I don't know when that event will occur. Yet, the action is essential and, after the event has occurred, will be urgent. I don't want it in my face every day while I wait for an event that may not occur for a month, but neither do I want it buried in my huge list of Someday/Maybe actions. What's the best way to handle this?[/QUOTE]

Add a context called "Waiting for". Create a sequential project with two actions: the event and the followup. Assign the event to the "Waiting for" context. When it happens, mark it done; then the followup will show up in its context.

dp1 2011-07-08 08:12 AM

Event-Triggered Action

[QUOTE=pete340;99355]Add a context called "Waiting for". Create a sequential project with two actions: the event and the followup. Assign the event to the "Waiting for" context. When it happens, mark it done; then the followup will show up in its context.[/QUOTE]

I'll experiment with this. Thanks, Pete.