The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Keyboard shortcut for "Edit note" changed with 1.1? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8660)

IntlOrange 2008-07-14 07:12 AM

Keyboard shortcut for "Edit note" changed with 1.1?

I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.

Unfortunately, my muscle memory is hard to re-train. Is there a way I can re-train OmniFocus to use my old shortcut? Thanks!

(Bonus question: Does anyone know why this shortcut changed?)

ptone 2008-07-14 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=IntlOrange;40691]I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.

Unfortunately, my muscle memory is hard to re-train. Is there a way I can re-train OmniFocus to use my old shortcut? Thanks!

(Bonus question: Does anyone know why this shortcut changed?)[/QUOTE]

This got me too - muscle memory is a potent thing.

-P

curt.clifton 2008-07-14 10:19 AM

See the release notes, or Ken's post [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8626"]here[/URL].

I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.

Toadling 2008-07-14 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=IntlOrange;40691]I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn Command-' was the key combo for editing notes all along; or at least that's the shortcut that was displayed to the right of the menu option.

So it's not like Enter was [B]the shortcut[/B], but rather [B]a shortcut[/B] for editing notes. :)

To be honest, I didn't even know the Enter key could be used to edit notes. I'd always used Command-'.

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;40716]I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.

From reading the release notes, I got the impression that mention of the Escape key was not directly related to the Enter key, but rather that the use of Escape might be "phased out" in a future release. So OG is providing a hidden default to allow us to get used to the change ahead of time.

Incidentally, one nice side-effect of using that new default to turn off exiting from edit mode with Escape is that now the Escape key can be used for word auto-completion (standard for most OS X text views). Formerly, you had to resort to using F5.

-Dennis

curt.clifton 2008-07-14 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=Toadling;40735]
I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.[/QUOTE]

I'm confusing. :-)

I didn't finish my sentence. I meant to say that I suspect the change might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing and Enter to confirm it.

Toadling 2008-07-14 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;40737]I meant to say that I suspect the change might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing and Enter to confirm it.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that makes sense. That actually occurred to me about 15 minutes after I posted and saw something similar mentioned in another thread. But thanks for clarifying.

-Dennis

IntlOrange 2008-07-14 07:16 PM

Thanks, Curt, and everyone else.

The problem is that I have years of practice with OmniOutliner, a program that also uses the Enter key to switch between an item and its note. Moving to OmniFocus for project/action management was easy because it kept a lot of OmniOutliner's keyboard commands. Now I worry that OF is diverging from OO, and my muscles will have to learn new commands and learn how to use different ones for each app.

whpalmer4 2008-07-14 09:32 PM

Shouldn't be a problem - OmniOutliner also will open/close the notes field on a row with cmd-' just like OmniFocus. If you look at Edit->Edit Note in either app, you'll see cmd-' listed as the keyboard shortcut.

Toadling 2008-07-14 09:35 PM

I'm also a longtime OmniOutliner user, and even there I always used the Command-' shortcut to edit notes. Like OmniFocus, OmniOutliner displays that key combo in the Edit -> Edit Note menu option. Apparently the Enter key did the same thing but was undocumented?

I wonder if these changes are a result of some of the feedback generated by the Matt Neuburg TidBITS review and subsequent usability discussions. If I remember correctly, there was some discussion of using the Escape key to cancel edits.

-Dennis

IntlOrange 2008-07-15 05:04 AM

Okay, sounds like for the benefit of usability best practices everywhere, I will have to retrain my fingers to adapt to the technology. :-)