The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Omnifocus as a CRM? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8278)

Casper TFG 2010-02-10 08:08 AM

Hmmmmm....

Just getting into the idea of CRM software

I sync Basecamp to OF via Spootnik (love it)

But that said..

1) My Address book is a hall of mirrors nightmare due to iPhone sync problems
2) I am now, pathetically, only using Omnifocus as a RED DUE priority tasks reminder (with a zillion neglected actions in OF)
3) I have fallen off the GTD wagon I think mainly because I haven't found a way to send something to OF and file that sucker away out of sight in MacMail.. ALL IN ONE MOVE. (I am sick of moving emails)

Anyhow I will put my dunce cap back on and go stand in my corner (again..)

Carry on...

The reason I chimed in?

I can see the point of people wanting an OF synced CRM tool

I suppose OF would need an alarm system to really get that rocking though..?

BING! - Dont forget to call Mr BigClient at 4pm (etc...)

whpalmer4 2010-02-10 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Casper TFG;73061]
3) I have fallen off the GTD wagon I think mainly because I haven't found a way to send something to OF and file that sucker away out of sight in MacMail.. ALL IN ONE MOVE. (I am sick of moving emails)
[/quote]

why not stop moving them? You've got a link back to the message in OF. Redefine "inbox zero" to be no unread messages and you're all set.

Casper TFG 2010-02-10 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;73068]why not stop moving them? You've got a link back to the message in OF. Redefine "inbox zero" to be no unread messages and you're all set.[/QUOTE]

That could be just the sort of advice I was looking for..

Empty inbox IS very satisfying though..

I was hoping not to be haunted by them sitting there stareing me in the face...

How-ever.. Moving forward out of the dunce corner and trying to rejoin the adults..

er.. I have just this moment discovered that I am able to mark my IMAP email unread on my iPhone.. (obvious really) AHA! NOW THATS v useful if I were to move over to this system.. (slowly getting it)

Hmmm.. (thinking)

Have any strides forward been made with iPhone email to OF inbox solutions?

Or could some sort of 'email forward to inbox' method be put to use here?

The guess the goal would be to either respond to emails or zapp them to OF both when on my laptop AND on my iPhone.

So an [B]"all in"[/B] mobile office solution..

Suggestions for the iPhone part of the puzzle please? !!!!

And many thanks for the 'in box full' suggestion ! Its counter intuitive for my addled brain but I can see it working!

(PS this could be a welcome goodbye to all my bloody "On My Mac folders" !! But - I dont trust the cloud - (or IMAP servers) I would want a back up regime for my email..)

whpalmer4 2010-02-10 02:37 PM

You could make a smart folder that only shows unread messages, and make that your usual view if truly having them out of sight is what you want. Or, have one folder for everything that has been processed, and just move all of the day's messages in there in one batch after reading. That's only going to be a few ciicks instead of dragging each message. As I recall, the links still work if you move the messages around, but I would test that hypothesis in your setup before relying on it....

Casper TFG 2010-02-10 02:56 PM

Smart folder view is a cool idea..

Great! Thanks

Will test too..

Now looking for iPhone tips to make this fly..

I am thinking the forward method will be best as keeping 'unread status' messages on the phone will cause me a lot of 'have I read this or not?" stress..

Best to action them or zap em off to OF asap.

Casper TFG 2010-02-10 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;73092]You could make a smart folder that only shows unread messages, and make that your usual view if truly having them out of sight is what you want. [/QUOTE]

HA!

Inbox zero baby! Inbox zero!

That worked a treat!

Moved that smart folder up to the top as the default view..

If I want to dive into "the Matrix" I can of course at any time (ughhh!)

but NO MOVING EMAILS REQUIRED!

I have my key command ready to go to send to OF

This has really helped me..

10000000 thanks

sa_studio 2010-02-16 05:04 AM

I really need something that is more open ended; not merely for client & contact info, etc.

Ideally we need to be able to store collections of data: images, with notes, etc. for publication planning, or file assets for research, etc.

I'm looking at [URL="http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/features.html"]Bento 3[/URL], but I'm hoping that there may be a forthcoming solution from Omni.
It seems that being able to record and organize actions, goals and thoughts goes hand in hand with organizing the data which will be utilized in the action. (Less stress, more organization.)

Any thoughts?

cez1 2010-02-16 04:34 PM

@ sa_studio

I totally agree. I need to integrate my "research" activities and having this functionality in OF would be great! I have OO pro, but I find that it is a little limited (although I do like some of the simplicity).

Omni, any plans for a program to integrate a database/note-taking platform? PLEASE?

Cez

eurobubba 2010-02-16 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Casper TFG;73096]HA!

Inbox zero baby! Inbox zero!

That worked a treat!

Moved that smart folder up to the top as the default view..

If I want to dive into "the Matrix" I can of course at any time (ughhh!)

but NO MOVING EMAILS REQUIRED!

I have my key command ready to go to send to OF

This has really helped me..

10000000 thanks[/QUOTE]

If you do decide you actually want to keep your real inbox empty, you should be able to set up a one-key macro to copy or link a message into OF and also to archive the message within Mail by using Mail Act-On and a mail rule, and possibly a bit of AppleScript.

sa_studio 2010-02-19 02:58 AM

@ cez1 - at least we have 2 on board!

I have to say that I'm having a bit of a crisis with my patience. I can program, work with databases, etc. and I'm starting to seriously consider hand rolling a solution.
I love the Omni products but I can't be the only one who sees the differentiation of these programs as a bit of a convoluted mess.

Why can I not plan a project on a timeline next to where my todo list is, and why isn't the outline connected directly to the project that it has become?
Why isn't this integrated with managing the files that are required in the planning?
Oh, and tags should not take years to implement.

I hope that Omni can relieve itself of this dinosaur progression and really update the suite to meet contemporary needs. There are even web based cms systems that are surpassing Omni, and I'm talking about the advanced features as well.