The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   iCal Sync (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   iCal Sync : Support CalDAV Calendars [See "Replacing Calendar Sync" thread.] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9954)

stacecom 2009-11-09 11:17 AM

I'm kind of dismayed at the responses I see when searching for CalDAV search. It's been requested for a while, but the responses have been "Tiger doesn't support CalDAV", "Apple didn't add iCal support to Sync Services, so we can't do anything about it," or "Apple will be fixing SyncServices soon, so we don't have to do anything about it."

CalDAV is a standard. These responses to a popular user request come across as passing the buck or saying "It's not *my* fault it doesn't work."

It's not important whether Apple messed up, or whose fault it is. What is important is that the customers of the product have been requesting a feature. And a feature that employs a public standard, at that. You don't need to wait until Apple implements it in the SyncServices API, you need to provide a method to sync with a CalDAV source, independent of what SyncServices is doing.

If you provide, for instance, a method to sync using CalDAV, people who never use iCal but use tools such as Zimbra or Google Calendar as their calendar client can take advantage of this program.

In that mode, it doesn't even matter what Mac OS 10.4 supports for iCal.

I'm just saying, instead of passing the blame as to why it doesn't work or isn't supported, you could have said "We're going to try to get this implemented as soon as possible. Instead, you've missed an opportunity to make a lot of users happy.

I bought this program last year, but stopped using it. And I forgot why I stopped using it, until just now when I was setting it up -- none of my calendars are local to my machine. So I can't in any way use this with my calendars. And that's a shame.

whpalmer4 2009-11-09 12:17 PM

On the other hand, they've got numerous requests for features that [b]wouldn't[/b] involve duplicating code that someone else should write (and then removing the duplicate code when it does eventually happen) and which have widespread support for addition to the program. They can't do everything, so choices have to be made. Proposals that involve writing a lot of code which will be thrown away later probably aren't as attractive, all else being equal.

You can't accurately assess the amount of support there is for a new feature from looking at the forum postings, because forum postings don't go into the development database, only requests sent via Help->Send Feedback or email to <appname>@omnigroup.com (or by phone, I suppose). I've never heard anything to suggest that CalDAV support is near the top of the most frequently requested list.

stacecom 2009-11-10 08:22 AM

You're right, of course.

I just find the feedback on this particular topic frustrating. I *want* to use this software (hell, I bought it), but I can't.

whpalmer4 2009-11-10 08:39 AM

I'm pretty sure Ken, et al want you to be able to use it, too!

Aren't there any tools out there that will sync between an iCal calendar and a CalDAV one? It seems like that would allow you to move forward, pointing OF at a local iCal calendar, and the intermediary could shuffle things back and forth to the Google Calendar (or whatever you were using).

ptcinsf 2010-01-10 08:50 PM

another second for this functionality... actually 3 seconds

We just moved to google apps and the calendar as our corporate server. Within my workgroup we have 3 o-focus users (thanks to my evangelizing the app, and now we are all stuck... any feedback on when this problem will be resolved... it is getting pretty old.

dgbrowsing 2010-02-01 01:44 PM

I would also like to see the caldav calendar sync option, it would make the app a lot more useful for my purposes.

ctobola 2010-02-10 06:09 AM

CalDAV and Android sync

The beauty of an OF <=> iCal/CalDAV sync is that it would resolve another issue being discussed in other Omni Group forums -- syncing with the Android.

Since the iCal can automatically sync with Google Calendar and Google Calendar automatically syncs to the Android... the whole process would be fairly painless.

As a new Android user (The iPhone is not available in my area.), this would be a terrific bonus.

whpalmer4 2010-02-10 03:19 PM

I thought there was a general consensus that you can't use the words "iCal", "sync" and "painless" in the same sentence :)

JakiChan 2010-03-09 04:24 PM

Let me add my request for this. I want two things:

1) I want to be able to update the Notifications calendar on my iPhone from the desktop app *and* the iPhone app.

2) I want this to be an option via CalDAV.

joseph.gruber 2010-03-24 09:52 AM

I second needing to support CalDAV. I didn't even know that's what it was called until this thread but I would much rather have my OF syncing to my Google Calendar that I have synced in iCal.