The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What is the Review feature? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5042)

santra 2007-10-02 07:10 PM

What is the Review feature?

I see it in Preferences, and I see "Next Review" in one of the filter drop-down menus. What is this feature? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

--Sandy Santra

steve 2007-10-02 07:50 PM

Hi Sandy,

The next review feature enables you to review your projects at intervals that are most helpful to keep your project moving along. For my standard projects, I review once a week. For my hot projects, I review every couple of days. You can set the default in the preferences or set it on a per project basis.

The next review is used in conjunction with the filter ribbon. It will show you which projects you need to review on a given day. For example, all of the projects that were up for review would be up for a given day. I have had more success reviewing on a daily basis instead of waiting for one day in which I review all of my projects.

Steve

santra 2007-10-03 02:15 AM

OK, I get it. Pretty straightforward actally. Staggering would be one strategy--probably useful for me, since I have about 70 projects. I guess one or two a day would be optimum.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=steve;22117]Hi Sandy,

The next review feature enables you to review your projects at intervals that are most helpful to keep your project moving along. For my standard projects, I review once a week. For my hot projects, I review every couple of days. You can set the default in the preferences or set it on a per project basis.

The next review is used in conjunction with the filter ribbon. It will show you which projects you need to review on a given day. For example, all of the projects that were up for review would be up for a given day. I have had more success reviewing on a daily basis instead of waiting for one day in which I review all of my projects.

Steve[/QUOTE]

lennie 2007-10-03 06:43 PM

I set the review duration for projects and see projects sorted by next review filter. Now what?
Do I need to manually update the next review date?

steve 2007-10-03 06:49 PM

You hit command+shift+4 and it will move to the next review date.

dhm2006 2007-10-04 04:06 AM

[QUOTE=lennie;22176]I set the review duration for projects and see projects sorted by next review filter. Now what? Do I need to manually update the next review date?[/QUOTE]

There is also a toolbar icon called "Mark Reviewed" that will, when clicked, change the review date for you.

steve 2007-10-04 04:51 AM

Any success I have had with the "mark reviewed" feature is because I TRY to do this daily. I would rather review 10 projects in 10 minutes each day rather than deal with 60 taking a good hour during a weekly review.

santra 2007-10-04 06:56 AM

Wow, this feature has great potential! I'm jumping right in and setting up a "review every day" habit for every project. (Still a little confused about the difference between the "Fixed" vs. "Unfixed" Default Review Time setting in Preferences. Anyone understand that?)

I've set up a Perspective that pulls up all Remaining projects, filtered for Next Review, in collapsed form. I start at the top of the list, hit Command-9 to expand the project, look it over, and then Mark Reviewed when I'm done. (Shift-Command-4 isn't working for me, though--that just turns my cursor into a bull's eye pointer. Is that the correct shortcut?)

Thanks, everyone!

santra 2007-10-04 07:09 AM

OK, wow, the system is working so good that now I really do need a keyboard equivalent for the Mark Reviewed icon (which doesn't seem to jump me to the next date, but to the next project in line).

Any help on this really appreciated. I tried a bunch of command key combinations + the 4 key, but no luck so far.

Pef 2007-10-04 07:14 AM

How did you all figure out that this is how it works? I had been wondering about reviewing, and the whole issue of how to incorporate time is unclear to me. I understand that mechanically this should be done through the inspector, but I don't know what it buys me to do it.