The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniPlan General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Discontinuous tasks (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7967)

archeus 2008-05-13 12:15 PM

Discontinuous tasks

Hi, I'm going to be reviewing OmniPlan for the first time, and have a question. I've used other PM software for construction projects and have often been frustrated by not being able to break up a task into non-continuous segments without making a new task for it. For example, one task may be slotted in for 3 weeks in the planning stage but in reality the subtrades show up for a week, then don't come back for 1 1/2 weeks, then come back for a week, and then work 4 days, etc. I need to be able to adjust the planned task to reflect the actual periods when it was executed. Can OmniPlan accommodate this easily?

skwirl 2008-05-14 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=archeus;36600]Hi, I'm going to be reviewing OmniPlan for the first time, and have a question. I've used other PM software for construction projects and have often been frustrated by not being able to break up a task into non-continuous segments without making a new task for it. For example, one task may be slotted in for 3 weeks in the planning stage but in reality the subtrades show up for a week, then don't come back for 1 1/2 weeks, then come back for a week, and then work 4 days, etc. I need to be able to adjust the planned task to reflect the actual periods when it was executed. Can OmniPlan accommodate this easily?[/QUOTE]

There isn't a way to split the task that way in OmniPlan right now. The only workaround would be to create two tasks for Task A and call them "part 1" and "part 2". Not a very elegant solution I know.

We have a feature request for split tasks in our database so I'll add a vote to it for you. :)

archeus 2008-05-19 12:52 PM

Thanks. This would be really useful for real-world situations particularly construction. I've made do in other programs by splitting up the task as you suggest but on a large project it takes too much time to manage. entering the time exactly as it occurs in the original task would really help.

jluk 2008-05-28 12:36 AM

Yeah I just wanted to add another vote for split-task functionality. I found this to be a really useful feature in MS Project so it would definitely be good if this existed in OmniPlan.

Thanks!

Narf! (tm) 2008-07-03 03:02 PM

Please add another vote for me. I would really like to ditch M$ Project.

skwirl 2008-07-03 04:30 PM

Votes added. Thanks!

maltinghead 2008-10-08 07:09 AM

Add another!
Thanks

russncraig 2008-11-20 06:03 PM

And another, please. This is one of the few things that is keeping me -- unhappily -- in Project.

defcube 2008-11-24 04:26 PM

Add another vote please

pslade 2008-11-26 09:49 AM

Please add my vote