The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Omnifocus with Evernote (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11733)

jbkendrick 2009-04-21 03:20 PM

I've been using Harrison's scripts for a couple of weeks now and love having a place to put notes just a click away. The advantages of this approach are the obvious, saving space in your OF database, and not so obvious, providing an easy method of getting to project notes for completed projects.

I do have one issue with the script. While it creates a folder in the correct hierarchy and names the file using the project name, when the OO editing window opens, the document it has created is in the Documents folder. If you click Save after creating the first note, it saves in Documents. I am finding that I have to do a Save As and navigate to the folder that was created in the hierarchy.

The funny thing is, once I do this, whenever I click the notes button to run the script again, it opens the file from the correct folder hierarchy. Has anyone else experienced this or have a work around?

I've never done any scripting in OS X, so I don't know how to properly open the script to look at the code, which I might not understand anyway.

Also, does anyone know of a way to use an OO template other than the default when creating a new project notes document with the script. I have tried editing the New Document Template, but the new documents created by the script don't appear to use it. Thanks, John

Humbro 2009-05-11 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=ciwa;57409]I'm using OF for GTD process and Evernote just for filing reference material. My question is:
Is there a possibilty to link Evernote notes to actions in OF?
Tried hard to find a way but haven't found a solution yet.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about the same thing, and was a bit dismayed by this thread, getting the impression it was impossible.

I just stumbled upon the quite simple solution, though: Search for the Evernote note in Spotlight/Finder, and drag the note from the Spotlight/Finder window into the note field in OF. Voilą!

The one catch is that the EN note won't show on the iPhone client, but hey.

marshallj 2009-06-15 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Humbro;59625]I was wondering about the same thing, and was a bit dismayed by this thread, getting the impression it was impossible.

I just stumbled upon the quite simple solution, though: Search for the Evernote note in Spotlight/Finder, and drag the note from the Spotlight/Finder window into the note field in OF. Voilą!

The one catch is that the EN note won't show on the iPhone client, but hey.[/QUOTE]

I have been using OF with Evernote for some time. I use an application called Leap which is a file manager that great for organizing lots of files. You can browse all your files including Evernote clippings based on Spotlight results so it gives you the title of the note instead of the funky reference names you get in the finder. I browse all my Evernote clippings from within Leap and then use Clip-O-Tron to create tasks from my clippings. I can Quicklook the Evernote note from within OF and double clicking it open the note. If I want some of the content on my iPhone, I just copy and paste what I want.

You can do the same simply by searching for the EN note with Spotlight, cmd click on the file and then clip to OF.

Evernote supports applescript so I'd love it if some smart person would write a script that made a script for this.

RobTrew 2009-06-15 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=jbkendrick;58867]I've been using Harrison's scripts for a couple of weeks now and love having a place to put notes just a click away. ... does anyone know of a way to use an OO template other than the default when creating a new project notes document with the script ? [/QUOTE]

See this [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=60807&postcount=12"]post[/URL] in another thread.

Humbro 2009-06-16 02:54 AM

Interesting, marshallj. But does your method with Leap work across computers?

That is the problem with my Spotlight-method (I thought I had updated this thread when I found out): it only works locally. It uses the Finder cache or something, and if you sync Evernote and OF across several computers as I do, a link won't work on any other computer than where it was created. I guess it might eventually expire too, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

marshallj 2009-06-20 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=Humbro;61283]Interesting, marshallj. But does your method with Leap work across computers?

That is the problem with my Spotlight-method (I thought I had updated this thread when I found out): it only works locally. It uses the Finder cache or something, and if you sync Evernote and OF across several computers as I do, a link won't work on any other computer than where it was created. I guess it might eventually expire too, but that hasn't happened to me yet.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I only use one computer... My laptop which I take with me wherever I work. I sync Evernote to my phone but that's it. I guess using multiple computers may be an issue. I haven't had an issues with the links expiring although I usually complete the tasks within a couple of weeks.

Warwick 2009-06-25 05:25 AM

Email function of evernote

[QUOTE=ciwa;57409]I'm using OF for GTD process and Evernote just for filing reference material. My question is:
Is there a possibilty to link Evernote notes to actions in OF?
Tried hard to find a way but haven't found a solution yet.[/QUOTE]

Its late and my brains not working well enough to try this out and write it up now but........

You can email into evernote, so if you go to your EN web account settings page you will see an email address in the bottom right corner like [email]username.cdr4Ed@m.evernote.com[/email]. You can email a photo, pdf etc and it appears just like other clippings in your EN inbox. You can also email out from - file menu/edit/email out

So perhaps there is a way - probably script based (hint Curt) - to use this feature and OF's ability to use email to achieve something ?

kevinkingmd 2009-08-08 05:02 PM

Evernote integration?

Hi all,

I've gotten quite smitten with Evernote of late and have migrated the MAJORITY of my filing -- reference and tickler -- to Evernote.

I was wondering if there are any plans to use the newly-available Evernote APIs to allow us to link an Evernote note to Omnifocus actions?

This would be sweet. Even sweeter if it could work the same way on the iPhone (although I doubt the sandboxing in the iPhone would support this.) What do you all think?

Kevin

Toadling 2009-08-08 07:24 PM

I don't use Evernote, so you'll need to fill me in here. Can you get a link to an Evernote database item, perhaps copy to the clipboard or something like that? If so, you should be able to just paste it into an OmniFocus note field. Or, have you tried dragging an Evernote item directly into an OmniFocus note field? Just curious what that might do.

My wife uses Yojimbo. I know that app allows you to copy a link to database items. It works really well when you paste those into OmniFocus.

-Dennis

kevinkingmd 2009-08-09 08:21 AM

Evernote integration...

Dragging the notes to Omnifocus does nothing. And you can't copy the note to the clipboard. You CAN copy the contents of the note, but not the note itself.

What I would absolutely love to have is some sort of linking between Omnifocus and Evernote. Drag the note to Omnifocus, create a link. Click the link and pull the info up from Evernote. Don't think that importing the entire note would be helpful since the contents of notes, especially project related notes, can be dynamic, UNLESS Omnifocus updates those imports regularly.

It would be especially useful to have the link since you can use an Evernote note as a working note. Clicking on the link in Omnifocus would pull up the note from Evernote (using Evernote, likely). Just prevents you to have to go a search for a note.

Would be nice. I'm not even sure if the APIs support this functionality.

Kevin