The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Problem adding SShot to Q. Entry window [A: assign keyb. shortcut for Grab service] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=15229)

Laucha 2010-02-05 12:56 PM

Problem adding SShot to Q. Entry window [A: assign keyb. shortcut for Grab service]

Hi there,

I did some research but apparently no one has this problem.
I want to add a screenshot out of OF to an action and I get an error, that the service cannot be used, because "Grab" doesnŽt deliver valid data.

Can someone help me what to do ?!

Brian 2010-02-05 01:14 PM

Happy to help, but can you clarify whether you're trying to place a screenshot into OmniFocus (as an attachment) or taking a screenshot *of* OmniFocus?

whpalmer4 2010-02-05 02:48 PM

Brian, that's the error message you get (approximately) if you use the Grab service while in OmniFocus...

Laucha, easiest thing to do is use cmd-shift-3 (for the whole screen) or cmd-shift-4 (for a selection of the screen) to grab the screen capture. If you just want a certain window, do cmd-shift-4 and then tap the space bar. You'll get a file on your Desktop called Picture <something> where the value of <something> depends on which version of Mac OS X you are using. You can then drag that file into the notes field of an OmniFocus action.

Laucha 2010-02-10 10:17 AM

Whpalmer4 youŽre right !

Thanks for the workaround but is that a know issue ?!
IŽd like to use the offered features without running on errors and keep workarounds in mind for a long time.

malisa 2010-02-10 10:42 AM

Just for my own enlightenment (and maybe that of others), I'm very familiar with cmd-shift-4 for screen shots but I'm not familiar with Grab. A little googling makes me think that both are built into Mac OS. Is Grab the name of the feature/application/utility and cmd-shift-4 (and 3) is a just a keyboard command (meaning there are other ways to access it and THOSE are what aren't working in conjunction with OF)? Or is Grab something completely different from cmd-shift-4?

TIA

Toadling 2010-02-10 10:58 AM

Grab is an Apple app in the Applications/Utilities folder. It provides several screen capturing services under OS X's service menu.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Command-Shif-4 shortcut and Grab used the same underlying frameworks to take screen shots, but it would seem there are at least some small differences in the implementation.

-Dennis

whpalmer4 2010-02-11 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Laucha;73072]Whpalmer4 youŽre right !

Thanks for the workaround but is that a know issue ?!
IŽd like to use the offered features without running on errors and keep workarounds in mind for a long time.[/QUOTE]

It's user error, I'm afraid :-)

You have to have the insertion point in a field which accepts rich text format when you invoke the Grab service. If you are in a note, it will work, and if you are in an action or project name, it will not.

Laucha 2010-02-12 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;73141]It's user error, I'm afraid :-)

You have to have the insertion point in a field which accepts rich text format when you invoke the Grab service. If you are in a note, it will work, and if you are in an action or project name, it will not.[/QUOTE]

I cannot confirm this. I get the error independent from the insertion point.

yvargpot 2010-02-20 03:55 PM

Laucha, you're not alone. I'm getting the exact same error message. At first I thought it was because I futzed with the terminal, and changed the default format and location for screen grabs, but now having returned them to the defaults, I still get the error message. And as for the "insertion point" explanation, this can't be right anyway. Grab captures image data from the screen, not text data... a fix or explanation would be great if anyone comes across one...

yvargpot 2010-02-20 03:58 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood the previous point about the placement of the insertion point, so my remark re that was offbase. However, I too find that the placement of the insertion point in a RTF field does not overcome the problem.