The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Web Interface (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4001)

Terry 2007-06-29 11:37 AM

Web Interface

Pretty neat. Via the Internet I entered a new action in the inbox while viewing in OmniWeb. Sure enough, it's in OF.

I may have a conflict, though. While in Inbox view, when I click [b]@[/b] to get back to Context view, nothing happens except my Trader Workstation (Interactive Brokers) app get the focus. I don't know enough about ports and sockets to determine where the conflict lies.

When I initially open the Web interface, Context view opens fine. Going to Inbox view is also no problem, it's only when trying to get back to Context view that the problem presents itself.

After the markets close I'll shutdown Trader Workstation and see if the behavior goes away.

When I checked the Web interface locally I didn't have this behavior.

I'm using port 3000 as that was what the link showed.

Lizard 2007-06-29 03:30 PM

With the behavior you describe, it's more likely a bug in the communication between the web server and Focus, not in the ports and networking stuff.

dansays 2007-06-29 07:23 PM

"Safari can't open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server."

Perhaps the iPhone can't handle self-signed certificates?

Terry 2007-06-29 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=Lizard]With the behavior you describe, it's more likely a bug in the communication between the web server and Focus, not in the ports and networking stuff.[/QUOTE]

With Trader Workstation closed, i still can't get back to context view using the @ link at the bottom, locally or the Internet.

I can right-click the @ and select "Open link in new tab", or new window, or background tab, and the Context view will open fine. Just not in the existing tab.

Of course the original bookmark opens Context view as well.

Terry 2007-06-30 10:20 AM

88508 seems to have fixed the problem. Clicking the @ now takes me back to the Context view. So far.

Darn, this would be great on an iPhone. Too back I don't have AT&T service in Burlington, Vermont.

velomac 2007-06-30 12:40 PM

I'm missing something here. How do I activate the web interface?

Terry 2007-06-30 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=velomac]I'm missing something here. How do I activate the web interface?[/QUOTE]

In OF Preferences.

You can turn it on and off. View it locally, or setup port forwarding to view it on the web. It's using port 3000.

SpiralOcean 2007-07-01 06:22 AM

Very cool. It's the first time I've had a great reason to share my web connection from home.

sohailm01 2007-07-01 06:10 PM

Same issue here

[QUOTE=dansays]"Safari can't open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server."

Perhaps the iPhone can't handle self-signed certificates?[/QUOTE]

Any ideas?

Terry 2007-07-01 07:16 PM

Well, using Safari is rather interesting. Once I go through the certificate warning, the Context page loads, but I can't do anything. Can't get to the Inbox or see the actions. Clicking on any link does absolutely nothing.

schop@pinelake.org 2007-07-01 08:33 PM

Please Advise

I'm not a super tech guy. Will someone mind giving me specific instructions on setting up my MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.10, to share my omni stuff? I can log on using safari on the macbook, but I want to access it from Iphone.

dansays 2007-07-02 04:45 AM

[QUOTE=sohailm01]Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

You could...
[LIST=1][*]Leave security up to the user, and assume they know how to configure a home VPN. Probably not the best option, but it's an option.[*]Let users obtain their own certificates. I have zero experience with this, but it would almost certainly be expensive/complicated.[*]Centralize authentication via SSL on Omni Group's servers. More complicated, and this requires Omni to maintain a web service. Also, doesn't solve encryption throughout, just protects the user name/password.[*]Route [U]all[/U] traffic through Omni via SSL. Probably the cleanest and most secure solution, but places a (potentially) large bandwidth burden on omnigroup.com. Configuration could be plug-and-play, though, no messing around with port forwarding and dyndns. I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee for a service like this.[/LIST]
For the curious/impatient, SSL can be turned off by right-clicking the OmniFocus app, choosing "Show package contents," and editing contents/resources/rails/config/environment.rb. Comment out the whole "if ENV['USE_SSL']" block, lines 90-110. There's not much point, however, since the rest of the app doesn't work on the iPhone at this time. I'm sure Omni is working on it, now that they have a device on which to test the app.

dansays 2007-07-02 04:47 AM

[QUOTE=schop@pinelake.org]I'm not a super tech guy. Will someone mind giving me specific instructions on setting up my MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.10, to share my omni stuff? I can log on using safari on the macbook, but I want to access it from Iphone.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work yet. Just sit tight, I'm sure a solution is forthcoming.

stevegio 2007-07-02 07:10 AM

I have the same issue with the iPhone. I'm just testing on my local network right now. No firewall, NAT, etc. Just hitting my local machine direct from my wi-fi network.

gio

sohailm01 2007-07-02 09:38 PM

Okay, so I disabled the SSL part, since Safari on iPhone clearly has issues with self-signed certs. It now works, but there's an issue; you can't scroll! If there are more items than the page allows, you can see the text running off the page, but you can't scroll. You also can't see items added via web interface in the actual document. ??? Any ideas?

papaverfugue 2007-07-03 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=Terry]Well, using Safari is rather interesting. Once I go through the certificate warning, the Context page loads, but I can't do anything. Can't get to the Inbox or see the actions. Clicking on any link does absolutely nothing.[/QUOTE]

In all liklihood you are using Safari 2.x. Safari 3 beta works much better. Opera and Omniweb both seem to have no problem. Who knows what bit of ajax/css/dhtml goodness isn't functioning in 2.x.

Terry 2007-07-03 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=papaverfugue]In all liklihood you are using Safari 2.x. Safari 3 beta works much better... Who knows what bit of ajax/css/dhtml goodness isn't functioning in 2.x.[/QUOTE]
No biggie, I seldom ever use Safari. If the need arises, I'll download Safari 3.

uscmeche 2007-07-03 08:07 PM

I know that this might seem an odd workaround, but it would be cool to have a dashboard widget that pulls data from the localized version of the web interface.

ucfgoofy 2007-07-04 06:34 AM

iPhone uses Safari 2

I find the posts of "Well, if you use Safari 3 (or Opera or OmniWeb), your problems will disappear" to be amusing, and unfortunately fundamentally unhelpful.

iPhone uses Safari 2's engine to render pages, not Safari 3's. Judging by the interface, the discussion, the release date, and the intuitiveness of the situation, I wager that the point of the web interface is to get it working on iPhone. For that, the system must play nice with Safari 2, period.

Perhaps disable the certificate aspect until the content can be verified as working?

dansays 2007-07-04 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=ucfgoofy]iPhone uses Safari 2's engine to render pages, not Safari 3's.[/QUOTE]

From the [URL="http://developer.apple.com/iphone/"]horse's mouth[/URL]: "The first step in developing a web application for iPhone is to ensure it is fully compatible with Safari. Safari 3 Public Beta, now available for Mac and Windows, provides you with the ideal environment for Safari on iPhone compatibility testing."

The web interface continues to be completely broken on the iPhone. Disabling the certificate allows the page to be loaded, but the attempts to keep the context/inbox bar pegged to the bottom of the screen and yet still allow scrolling have failed.

Ultimately, if you're going to get clever with CSS and DHTML transitions, you need to test the app out on an actual phone. The tone of the related Message of the Day entries implies that Omni thinks the app is working, which means either they don't yet have an iPhone on which to test their app, or I'm doing something wrong.

Ken Case 2007-07-04 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=dansays]The web interface continues to be completely broken on the iPhone. Disabling the certificate allows the page to be loaded, but the attempts to keep the context/inbox bar pegged to the bottom of the screen and yet still allow scrolling have failed.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be working fine for us, but you do have to scroll with two fingers rather than just one or it doesn't scroll at all. (No, we don't think that's intuitive or ideal, and we're still working with it.)

[QUOTE=dansays]Ultimately, if you're going to get clever with CSS and DHTML transitions, you need to test the app out on an actual phone. The tone of the related Message of the Day entries implies that Omni thinks the app is working, which means either they don't yet have an iPhone on which to test their app, or I'm doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

Or it's still a work in progress and we haven't explained what we're doing very well. :) (If I hadn't heard about the two-finger scrolling trick from someone else here at Omni, I wouldn't have known to try it either.)

But yes, absolutely we agree that we have to test the app on actual iPhones. That's why we all (well, maybe half of us) spent Friday afternoon waiting in line (with books, chairs, umbrellas, and card games) at the Apple Store. (At least, that's what we tell ourselves!)

sprocketjockey 2007-07-04 03:30 PM

Questions??

Well, I can see the web interface when I use firefox, but not when I use Safari (2)

When I access it from my iphone it says "Safari can't open the page because it could not connect to the server." ???

Any help would be appreciated....I'm assumming my ip address of [url]https://0.0.0.0:3000/[/url] is maybe incorrect?

Ken Case 2007-07-04 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=sprocketjockey]Well, I can see the web interface when I use firefox, but not when I use Safari (2)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I guess it's currently incompatible with Safari 2. (Our target is the iPhone, but it also works with [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/download/sneakypeek/"]OmniWeb 5.6[/URL].)

[QUOTE=sprocketjockey]When I access it from my iphone it says "Safari can't open the page because it could not connect to the server." ???

Any help would be appreciated....I'm assumming my ip address of [url]https://0.0.0.0:3000/[/url] is maybe incorrect?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, yes, 0.0.0.0 refers to the local host, so that will only work from your desktop's web browser. To get to the server from your iPhone, you have to figure out the address of your desktop machine from the iPhone's point of view and connect to that. (Strangely, iPhone doesn't currently support Bonjour—so even on your LAN you can't just connect to "my-computer.local".)

And I haven't been able to get it to work unless I also turn off SSL (search for "USE_SSL" in earlier posts), although I think I've seen both Tim and James use it with SSL enabled. (Our speculation is that it might work based on your network setup, e.g. perhaps rails is picking one interface for its certificate but the iPhone is connecting from another? But we haven't tracked it down yet.)

We plan to offer the ability to turn off SSL—but then the password and data will be going across the wire in the clear. We can solve the password problem by using digest authentication, though we need to find a good (and non-GPL) implementation of HTTP digest authentication for rails. (Any suggestions, anyone?)

I'm not sure what to do about protecting the data from the wire, but perhaps folks using this are willing to take the risk of their data being observed by others. (I've certainly noticed that people are surprisingly willing to put their data on other people's servers!)

Even once we figure all those issues out, there is still the question of how to help people get to their desktop machine from their iPhone when their Desktop is probably behind a firewall and their iPhone is coming in from somewhere else on the Internet. At the moment, unfortunately, that's left as an exercise for the reader. Which returns us to the original question, which is that you first have to figure out what address your iPhone is going to use to get to your desktop machine, and somehow make that work...

ucfgoofy 2007-07-04 07:48 PM

iPhone uses Safari 2?

Dansays -

Thanks for providing that quote. I've not seen anything from Apple that definitively says what version's on the phone, but notice that the text you referenced doesn't actually say, either.

"The first step in developing a web application for iPhone is to ensure it is fully compatible with Safari [no version number here]. Safari 3 Public Beta, [which is the only version that is] now available for Mac and Windows, provides you with the ideal environment for Safari on iPhone compatibility testing."

From the bracketed comments I inserted, it seems to me to be *just* vague enough.

My experience browsing pages on iPhone suggest it renders with the 2.x engine, not 3.x (for instance, try loading [url]http://11mystics.com/demos/tabouli/[/url] in iPhone, Safari 2, and Safari 3 -- the first two load it correctly; only Safari 3 does not). If Omni's goal is to write it for iPhone, Safari 2 is a better development check. Safari 3 is listed on Apple's site for developers because it's available for Windows, too.

PLEASE understand that I'm not trying to pick a point. I'm trying to help clarify how iPhone works, to see if the great folks at Omni can be more successful in pinning down the oddities of getting the web interface up and running for iPhone.

Thanks!

ucfgoofy 2007-07-04 07:57 PM

Back to My Mac

Another odd thought, regarding how to allow access to users' home machines:

Not sure if an SDK is (or even will be) out for this, but one of the features of Leopard mentioned in the WWDC Keynote was the .Mac-enabled service of "Back to My Mac", which suggests to my some form of dynamic DNS tracking/registration on a .Mac server. (I recall DNS services via .Mac being part of the Developer Preview of Tiger, too.) Would it be possible/benficial for Omni to try and take advantage of that usability for this particular application? If Apple's .Mac servers have a way of punching file sharing through whatever firewalls a user has, could it be possible to allow iPhone-to-webserver access with OF?

Again, just a thought. I suspect another solution would be better.

BTW, Ken - I genuinely do not care who sees my task list, so long as they can't edit it. If the whole world finds out that I need to buy a crap-ton of vodka and pancake syrup next time I'm out, so be it. But if they can remove Tylenol from my list, that's another story. :-) Privacy of my task list isn't a priority, at least for me. (My 2¢.)

Chris

schop@pinelake.org 2007-07-05 04:00 AM

my request

As just an average user, i'd ilke to request two things:
-if "back to my mac"ultimately works for this...very cool

- if not, what about .mac? Is there any wau for OF to suncto our idisk and that be used?

-last, i'd be happu to pay a small fee if omni will just host the data. I cant imagine my IT guy going for opening my computer thru the firewall at the office. Not to mention, all my data is on my laptop which does not stay on all the time.

sprocketjockey 2007-07-05 04:04 AM

what if we already had our own hosting ability?... i too have a laptop so its not always on.

wreising 2007-07-05 07:29 AM

The Web interface is great. Except for the two finger scrolling thing. I don't like that.

I I have two problems though. Some contexts that I know have tasks in them don't display anything.

Also, Context folders show up in the list, but have no contents.

This looks like it will be great and will fill the huge hole left by a lack of any to-do app on the iPhone.

Thanks for putting this together.

Bill

Mindflayer 2007-07-05 10:32 AM

A way to export for external hosting would be nice. I just started playing with this, and it's all Ruby On Rails, yes?

dansays 2007-07-05 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]This seems to be working fine for us, but you do have to scroll with two fingers rather than just one or it doesn't scroll at all. (No, we don't think that's intuitive or ideal, and we're still working with it.)[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never would have stumbled upon the two-finger scroll. Where'd you pick up on this? Is it a bug in iPhone's implementation of Safari?

[QUOTE=Ken Case]We plan to offer the ability to turn off SSL—but then the password and data will be going across the wire in the clear. We can solve the password problem by using digest authentication, though we need to find a good (and non-GPL) implementation of HTTP digest authentication for rails. (Any suggestions, anyone?)[/QUOTE]

Since iPhone doesn't (at present) support anything like Keychain, HTTP-AUTH requires the entry of an account/password each time I want to use OF over the web. Kind of a pain.

I'm far from the world's leading crypto expert, but might you be able to do some sort of initial cookie-based "pairing" with the iPhone on the LAN? Have OF check the IP of the request, and if it's on the same subnet, give it a token. Whenever the client subsequently tries to request a page outside the local subnet, hash the token against the current time, pass it back to OmniFocus, who in turn verifies the validity of the token. (Like I said, I'm not a crypto guy, so apologies if some of the terminology is confusing.)

[QUOTE=Ken Case]I'm not sure what to do about protecting the data from the wire, but perhaps folks using this are willing to take the risk of their data being observed by others. (I've certainly noticed that people are surprisingly willing to put their data on other people's servers!)

Even once we figure all those issues out, there is still the question of how to help people get to their desktop machine from their iPhone when their Desktop is probably behind a firewall and their iPhone is coming in from somewhere else on the Internet. At the moment, unfortunately, that's left as an exercise for the reader. Which returns us to the original question, which is that you first have to figure out what address your iPhone is going to use to get to your desktop machine, and somehow make that work...[/QUOTE]

Depending on how Leopard plays out, the "Back to my Mac" feature might take care of all of this for you. Failing that, could you somehow automate port-forwarding on AirPort-based wireless networks?

whalt 2007-07-05 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=dansays]
I'm far from the world's leading crypto expert, but might you be able to do some sort of initial cookie-based "pairing" with the iPhone on the LAN? Have OF check the IP of the request, and if it's on the same subnet, give it a token. Whenever the client subsequently tries to request a page outside the local subnet, hash the token against the current time, pass it back to OmniFocus, who in turn verifies the validity of the token. (Like I said, I'm not a crypto guy, so apologies if some of the terminology is confusing.)
[/QUOTE]
The only problem is that cookies are passed as text in the clear so anyone snooping would be able to fake the cookie pretty easily.

dansays 2007-07-05 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=whalt]The only problem is that cookies are passed as text in the clear so anyone snooping would be able to fake the cookie pretty easily.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if the authentication token is hashed against the current time, and expired as soon as it's accepted, it shouldn't matter. It's disposable.

dvand5 2007-07-06 07:41 AM

Context Folders are only listing Next Actions

[QUOTE=wreising]
.. I have two problems though. Some contexts that I know have tasks in them don't display anything.

Also, Context folders show up in the list, but have no contents....

Bill[/QUOTE]

I was seeing this too, just my Next Actions are displaying in these folders. Is there anyway to have it show all of the Action Items in each context?

David v.

dansays 2007-07-06 08:41 AM

Try scrolling up. The page doesn't snap to the top of the document when you select context further down on the list.

dansays 2007-07-06 11:22 AM

Okay, re: my local pairing suggestion, nevermind. I didn't think it through properly. Won't work.

Also: it seems that the "Safari can't open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server" message is not related to the self-assigned certificate. I toyed around with [URL="http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/"]Telekinesis[/URL], which also uses a self-assigned cert, and it lets me in just fine after accepting a warning. Must be something else.

dvand5 2007-07-08 04:42 PM

OF Web - No. of Tasks/Actions

[QUOTE=dansays]Try scrolling up. The page doesn't snap to the top of the document when you select context further down on the list.[/QUOTE]

No, I was already doing that. Maybe I'm not being understood.

For my @Calls, I have, let's say, 20 tasks listed under that context. But, in the Web interface, I only see 3 of them (and they are all Next Actions, when looking in the OmniFocus client).

I would like to be able to view all 20 of them, not just the three.

Any help is much appreciated.

dv.

dansays 2007-07-09 04:10 AM

Do you have your filter set to "available" or "remaining"? I think the web interface only displays actionable tasks.

Russell 2007-07-09 07:17 AM

I just tried the web interface and got it to work over my work's intranet.

One problem though was that the button that was send link in mail, was sending the wrong IP address out. It was my airport IP address from home, not my ethernet IP which was my currently active internet connection.

I tried turning off airport and restarting the web interface to see if this would work and it wanted to send out the same IP address that was incorrect.

I tried port 3000 on my PowerBook's IP address from my work ethernet connection and presto! it worked!

Pretty nifty, although I am using it on Safari on windows and it has the "iPhone interface", still neat.

Idea though, please oh please enable this to work as a web app in compliment to the desk app. I use Mac personally and am forced to use Windows at work. If I could use OmniFocus on my Macs and then at least be able to view my projects and contexts lists online without having my Mac online and accessible would be awesome.

How would this work? OmniFocus runs on the Mac locally and syncs or backs up its files to an online server (or even .Mac?). You have an offsite and online backup of your OmniFocus file. Then using a web app you can view and manipulate your projects and contexts lists. Maybe this could be a separate website in unison with OmniFocus or maybe OF could backup to .Mac and using a special website hosted on .Mac with user authentication one could view and manipulate their OF file on the .Mac server. Also, with the .Mac service you could keep your Mac portable and desktop in sync as well.

Also, maybe you could allow multiple backups to .Mac from a week and a month ago (or other designated time lengths) for that extra warm fuzzy feeling of security with having multiple offsite backups.

Just some thoughts... but the web app being accessible on a Windows machine without having to keep my Mac online would be wonderful for me. It doesn't have to have all the functionality of the OmniFocus app, but some limited manipulation would be nice.

Russell 2007-07-09 07:28 AM

Another thought I just had about the web app. If it could detect your browser and accommodate to your viewer size.

ex. if iPhone then use the special sized iPhone interface, if desktop browser use full window view... something to that extent.

busyashell 2007-07-11 12:44 AM

If you're not seeing all of your actions in each context in the web view, open the inspector, click on each project and uncheck "Actions must be performed in order". You will then see them all.

[B]One request for this web interface please. [/B]
It would be nice if we could specify the port. I'm a rails developer and often port 3000 is taken by the projects I'm working on. For that matter, sometimes it's up to about 3005. Not a big deal but it would be nice. :)

Lutin 2007-07-11 06:30 AM

Web interface not working

I can't run the web interface.
I know this is alpha, but as I haven't seen the same problem on the forum and it seems to work for others, so I thought I would ask.

Here is what I did:
Activated the web interface in Omnifocus preferences
Clicked on the 'View in browser' button
Filled the authentication box in Safari (it works, because if I don't enter the right login / pass, the box come back and ask them to me again)

I get this error:
Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “[url]http://192.168.0.67:3000/”[/url] because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

And, sometimes, if I refresh, this one:
Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “[url]http://192.168.0.67:3000/”[/url] because it could not connect to the server “192.168.0.67”.

192.168.0.67 is indeed my IP.
My firewall is turned off. Web server is on.
I'm using Safari 3.0.2 beta, with 10.4.10.
I have the same problem with the last version of OmniWeb and Firefox.

Here is the console log.

2007-07-09 09:03:39.700 OmniFocus[13096] Uninstalling OmniFocus Web Interface...
2007-07-09 09:03:39.701 OmniFocus[13096] Removing '/Users/me/Library/LaunchAgents/com.omnigroup.omnifocus.web_interface.plist'...
2007-07-09 09:03:39.945 OmniFocus[13096] Removing '/Users/me/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Web Interface'...
2007-07-09 09:03:53.847 OmniFocus[13096] Uninstalling OmniFocus Web Interface...
2007-07-09 09:03:53.848 OmniFocus[13096] Installing OmniFocus Web Interface...
2007-07-09 09:03:58.747 Terminal[24511] duration 0.195902
2007-07-09 09:04:05.725 Terminal[24511] duration 0.195902
launchd[170]: com.omnigroup.omnifocus.web_interface: exited abnormally: Abort trap
launchd[170]: com.omnigroup.omnifocus.web_interface: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal

Any ideas?

Lizard 2007-07-11 04:44 PM

I was seeing similar up until a few minutes ago. See if this fixes it:
1) Make sure you're running build Revision: 88829 or later
2) stop the web interface
3) quit omnifocus
4) launch omnifocus
5) start up the web interface

if that doesn't work, please send us an email. Thanks!

Lutin 2007-07-11 11:50 PM

Problem remains.
I mailed you.

dennismccarthy 2007-07-16 10:31 AM

Web Interface 101

I'm trying to get this web interfrace/iphone thing working so I can view things on my shiny new phone, but am getting stuck.

Everything shows up on the browser using Omniweb but I can't figure out how to get into it from the iphone. Actiontec (the qwest dsl modem guys) has a port forwarding feature that they said would work great in combination with the router's "public ip address". I forwarded port 3000 (and 300) just in case but am really not sure what I'm doing!

Would not the address from the iphone be: publicipaddress:3000?

JKT 2007-07-16 01:21 PM

Dennis - do you have a static IP address or a dynamically assigned one (your ISP will tell you this if you don't know)? If it is static, then you can set up port forwarding on your router and access the OF web interface with ease once you have determined the static IP address of your router (info from your ISP should tell you this, but it can also be obtained using a dashboard widget called [B]IP Widget[/B]).

If you have a dynamically assigned IP address, you will need to use a service such as No-IP.com to obtain a static address that you can use:

[url]http://www.no-ip.com/[/url]

Lutin 2007-07-17 12:25 AM

For people with problem similar to mine (cf. post 41): a reboot fixed it.

jet14 2007-08-06 01:25 AM

Re: Web interface (PLEASE make this a sticky!)

While I did actually run across this tip while waiting for my OF alpha invite to arrive:

[QUOTE=Ken Case;16738]This seems to be working fine for us, but you do have to scroll with two fingers rather than just one or it doesn't scroll at all. (No, we don't think that's intuitive or ideal, and we're still working with it.)[/QUOTE]

…I went through several days of frustration with using the web interface on my iPhone before I found this again (and then remembered having read it earlier). In the absence of any manual or FAQ at this early stage, I think this is an essential point to keep up top in the OmniFocus forum.

Thanks.

J

Frosty Crunch 2007-10-07 11:10 PM

Web interface instructions

Could someone point me to the post that explains how to use the web interface? The full text search doesn't search for three-letter words, and searches for "iPhone" and other guesses at co-occurring terms are not bringing up what I want.

(By the way, Omni, MySQL lets you change the minimum indexable word length from 3 to 4, and I bet vBulletin does also.)

jet14 2007-10-08 01:07 AM

[QUOTE=Frosty Crunch;22409]Could someone point me to the post that explains how to use the web interface? The full text search doesn't search for three-letter words, and searches for "iPhone" and other guesses at co-occurring terms are not bringing up what I want.

(By the way, Omni, MySQL lets you change the minimum indexable word length from 3 to 4, and I bet vBulletin does also.)[/QUOTE]
AFAIK, there is NOTHING that explains how to use the interface, but I also recall seeing that the web interface is not even an OF 1.0 "target feature" i.e. they know it's really creaky and they just can't afford the resources to get it "live" for the initial version.

What did you want to know? The basics I can think of are that, once installed by turning it on in preferences and assigning your choice of username/password, the WebInterface (that should be indexable, right? ;-) is accessible at http://YourIP:11872 (i.e. by pointing mobile Safari to the IP address of the machine running your copy of OmniFocus using port 11872).

From there, it's a bit rough but largely intuitive. The problem requiring two-finger scrolling was fixed maybe a month ago, but my lingering issues include the inability to limit the display to "flagged" items and the general lack of any functions other than displaying what's in each context group, correctly "completing" those actions I check off, and accepting new input (with a text entry field that is EXTREMELY function-limited, e.g. the "text loupe" one would expect anywhere else on the iPhone is NOT accessible). Now, don't get me wrong, those three functions are absolutely HUGE for me, but it's clear that the WebInterface has a LONG, LONG, LOOOONNNNGGGG way to go before it's ready for prime-time ;-)

Hope that helps...

J

dhm2006 2007-10-08 02:59 AM

[QUOTE=Frosty Crunch;22409]Could someone point me to the post that explains how to use the web interface? The full text search doesn't search for three-letter words, and searches for "iPhone" and other guesses at co-occurring terms are not bringing up what I want.[/QUOTE]

Try here: [url]http://scotaganda.com/omni/index.php?title=Setting_up_the_web_interface[/url]

This is part of an "Unofficial OmniFocus Documentation Wiki" set up a while back by one of the forum members (not me). [url]http://scotaganda.com/omni/index.php?title=Main_Page[/url]

Unfortunately, I don't know (because I don't use a web interface) whether it still works or not, given the daily changes to OF, but it might be a place to start.

Also unfortunately (IMHO), not many people contributed to the wiki, so it never really took off the way it could have if more people had participated.

jproberts 2007-10-08 04:42 PM

It works...

Just tried setting up the OmniFocus Web Interface using those instructions and it worked great! The interface on the iphone is a little wonky but I was able to get it up and running without a hitch! Thanks for the heads up on that wiki!

JP

dhm2006 2007-10-10 03:47 AM

Glad it helped.

FrostedMac 2007-10-10 02:51 PM

I just got access to this program today but unable to locate the web settings. No such option exists under Prefrences. Is it not in the latest build?

curt.clifton 2007-10-10 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=FrostedMac;22607]I just got access to this program today but unable to locate the web settings. No such option exists under Prefrences. Is it not in the latest build?[/QUOTE]

The web interface was removed in a build posted last night. The Message of the Day basically said that the attempted design didn't meet the needs of enough users and that the support necessary to make it work was too much. You could probably grab a build prior to 92555 if you wanted to get the interface working, but it is likely to go away altogether sometime in the future. See Help --> Message of the Day for more info.

Dribbler 2007-10-10 04:59 PM

Edit: The earliest build up there on the 9th still has the web interface, so I can test it out. Should have downloaded it before hastily posting!

Hi,

I just grabbed the build today, and there aren't any builds prior to the 9th available for download. I notice there is a way to deactivate the service from terminal- is there a way to activate it as well? Personally, I am comfortable with Dynamic dns and static ip's and already have it set up for a XAMPP installation on a PC running GTD-PHP- I would really like to at least try it, as having a standalone app with web access is pretty much my ideal setup (even if the web access is a little clunky), and I have high hopes for Omni Focus. Is there at least a link to an older version I could play with, or possibly have the web preferences pane activated via a setting somewhere else with big disclaimers?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

wealthychef 2007-10-11 10:07 AM

Folks, if you want the Web interface to continue, please write to OF support and let them know. They don't feel it's worth the effort to support... but for iPhone users it really rains on our parade.

kaebot 2007-10-11 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=Dribbler;22619]Edit: The earliest build up there on the 9th still has the web interface, so I can test it out. Should have downloaded it before hastily posting!

Hi,

I just grabbed the build today, and there aren't any builds prior to the 9th available for download. I notice there is a way to deactivate the service from terminal- is there a way to activate it as well? Personally, I am comfortable with Dynamic dns and static ip's and already have it set up for a XAMPP installation on a PC running GTD-PHP- I would really like to at least try it, as having a standalone app with web access is pretty much my ideal setup (even if the web access is a little clunky), and I have high hopes for Omni Focus. Is there at least a link to an older version I could play with, or possibly have the web preferences pane activated via a setting somewhere else with big disclaimers?

Thanks in advance,

Simon[/QUOTE]

There might not be big disclaimers, but if you'd like to reactivate the Web Interface preference pane, this can be accomplished by quitting OmniFocus and pasting the following into Terminal:

[CODE]
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface.visible -bool true
[/CODE]

We can't promise that this will be around forever, but we didn't want to take it away from those who've already got it setup - especially while we don't yet have another means to sync to your iPhone.

[QUOTE=wealthychef;22683]Folks, if you want the Web interface to continue, please write to OF support and let them know. They don't feel it's worth the effort to support... but for iPhone users it really rains on our parade.[/QUOTE]

I apologize if you got the impression that we don't feel the web interface is worth supporting. We do our best to support everything we make to the best of our ability. However, not only does this require the knowledge of each individual network setup (which we cannot gain) but it's not quite the solution for which we were hoping and we will be pursuing other avenues to find a more viable method (in addition to mobile syncing via iCal and printing).

As I mentioned, we're not removing the interface for those who are already using it. If you've already installed it, it will remain there while we look for a better solution. If you'd like to reveal the preference pane, please give the aforementioned default a try. :)

jet14 2007-10-12 02:27 AM

Terminal command does not work for me

[QUOTE=kaebot;22721]can be accomplished by quitting OmniFocus and pasting the following into Terminal:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface.visible -bool true

[/QUOTE]

I can't say that I'm an expert in using the Terminal, but I can't seem to make this work… those two lines are supposed to be one argument, correct? When I paste it as such, I get:

2007-10-12 06:22:22.695 defaults[13034] Unexpected argument -bool; leaving defaults unchanged.

It seems to accept both:

[CODE]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface. -bool true[/CODE]

and:

[CODE]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus com.omnigroup.omnifocus.preferences.web_interface. visible[/CODE]

but neither has any effect that I can see in the preferences pane…

Help!

Thanks,

J

curt.clifton 2007-10-12 06:52 AM

J,

I suspect a stray space crept in that command. It looks like the command should be:

[CODE]
[/CODE]

Also note that you need to quit OF before running the command.

jet14 2007-10-12 07:05 AM

Curt,

That extra space was the problem! I didn't know about the "code" tag you used on this, but it's a great way to keep these sorts of problems from cropping up. (I liked it so much I went back and used it on my original post! :-)

Thanks!

J

P.S. Kudos for not "correcting" my odd usage of an unadulterated letter as a nickname; VERY few people pick that up without prompting ;-)

kingsinger 2007-10-14 01:40 AM

I don't have an iphone, but I've found the web interface functional. I wish it rendered a little better in firefox. I also wish it used https instead of http. That security limitation has kept me from using it more. But it's been convenient to look at the context lists remotely form the laptop when I've away from the desktop (which is generally on).

Didn't it initially use https? Is there anyway to reconfig the existing set-up to behave that way for those of us who aren't using it with iPhone and Safari?

RuleRulez 2007-10-30 12:49 AM

It worked under Tiger, but I can not start the server anymore under Leopard.

Any suggestions?

Tinchohs 2007-10-30 06:08 PM

I am also lost...

[QUOTE=Terry;16430]In OF Preferences.

You can turn it on and off. View it locally, or setup port forwarding to view it on the web. It's using port 3000.[/QUOTE]

I don't seem to be able to find this anywhere in the OF preferences. I am in revision 93609. Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot. Martin.

granin 2007-11-03 05:41 AM

Web inerface doesn't support non-english characters, each of my cyrillic characters convert to stuff like: "%u0440" ,
Any ideas how to fix it?