The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   no OF data after iOS 7 install (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=30780)

millerj 2013-09-20 05:49 AM

no OF data after iOS 7 install

After I install iOS 7 on my iOS device, my OF data is gone. I use the OMniSync server to sync OF data between devices, and it does not repopulate my OF data. Nor does it give me any error that would help me understand what it going wrong.

This is happening on my iPhone, my iPad, and my iPad mini. It doesn't appear to be affecting my OF data on the SyncServer because OF on my laptop and desktop appear unaffected.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jason

Technodad 2013-09-20 10:37 AM

+1 on this. Everything is missing from OF on my iPad after upgrading to iOS 7 - thank, projects, contexts, the lot. It still appears to be on the OmniSync server, but the iPad starts to sync, then stops.

I've tried re-installing, manually syncing, the lot.

To add insult to injury, Omni support is having an "in-service day" today, so there's no way to reach a live support person.

thart 2013-09-20 01:58 PM

+1 more. Exact same issues after iOS7 upgrade:

1. OF server sync w/iPhone = fail, no data
2. OF server sync w/iPad = fail, no data
3. OF server sync w/Mac = success, data correct

Ken Case 2013-09-20 06:01 PM

We're very sorry for this! The issue seems to be that the XML parser in iOS 7 has introduced a new default size limit of 10MB. We saw this issue in some early developer preview releases of iOS 7; but Apple fixed the issue in later releases, leading us to think it was resolved. Unfortunately, now it appears to be back in the final GM.

This doesn't affect everyone, obviously—but if you have a number of large notes in your task database (or a [I]lot[/I] of tasks!), you could easily end up exceeding that 10MB limit. (Attachments are stored as separate files from the XML content, so the size of your attachments won't affect this limit.)

There is some (new) API we can use to increase the limit when we're on iOS 7, and we'll be updating our version 1 apps to use this API when available. We'll submit these updated version 1 apps to Apple ASAP.

helenr 2013-09-22 02:59 AM

Missing data

+1 with a twist

1. OF server sync w/iPhone (running OF2 & iOS7) = success[INDENT]my sync file size is 21.4Mb so not clear why only v1 apps are affected if this is an iOS7 issue?[/INDENT]2. OF server sync w/iPad2 (running iOS7) = fail, no data
3. OF server sync w/iPad mini (running iOS7) = fail, no data
4. OF server sync w/Mac = success

Ken Case 2013-09-22 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=helenr;127369]my sync file size is 21.4Mb so not clear why only v1 apps are affected if this is an iOS7 issue?[/QUOTE]

In the new apps that require iOS 7, we started calling the new iOS 7 API which increases the XML parser limit. (Again, we didn't do this for the iOS 6 apps because they didn't have access to that API and we thought Apple had fixed iOS 7 to handle this compatibility issue automatically.)

helenr 2013-09-22 11:08 PM

Any ETA for a fix?

[QUOTE=Ken Case;127376]In the new apps that require iOS 7, we started calling the new iOS 7 API which increases the XML parser limit. (Again, we didn't do this for the iOS 6 apps because they didn't have access to that API and we thought Apple had fixed iOS 7 to handle this compatibility issue automatically.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ken. That clears up my confusion. I'm sure your teams are already onto this but any thoughts as to when you would hope/aim to have this fixed? I'm hoping days over weeks? Missing OF on my iPad/s already so keen to have expectations set appropriately if you are able :)

rickcolosimo 2013-09-23 04:43 PM

So my workaround is to try to winnow down my DB to some fuzzy number between the current 21mb and 10mb, based on however many attachments I have that don't count?

I guess I needed to clear out some deadwood anyhow.....

skillet 2013-09-29 02:43 PM

Still not working for me, I have got my database from 45MB to 3MB and it worked for a day or so and for the past week it has been empty despite many complete resets and different ways to try to sync to my iPad. I have downloaded the database from the OmniFocus sync server to make sure it was 3MB and it is. All 3 of my Macs are all thankfully syncing fine but I have lost the essential mobility of OmniFocus. That was really my only scare in updating to iOS 7 and I didn't really see anything on the website that said don't do it. I'm getting by and I knew I was taking a risk updating to iOS 7, I had just hoped that that it would be back working by now.

thart 2013-09-30 08:23 PM

Still no joy

I have:
1. Shrunk my DB to 4.5mb
2. Reset my iPad DB (red button in setting)
3. Reimported my sync settings from my Mac

But unfortunately still no joy in synching OF to my iPad iOS7

Any thoughts on timing for a fix? This if the first real issue I have had with an otherwise wonderful program & support.

Thanks for any update.

Lizard 2013-10-01 01:14 PM

We've submitted these apps to the App Store and are waiting on their review process. Sorry about the uncertainty.

You'll want to be watching for 1.6.5 on the iPad and 1.16.3 on the iPhone.

Lizard 2013-10-04 01:03 PM

And these updates should now be available in the App Store.

Please note that since OmniFocus v1 is no longer for sale, [B]this update will not show up automatically[/B]. You will need to delete the local copy of the app (AFTER syncing or otherwise backing up your data!!) and then download the app again.

skillet 2013-10-04 01:15 PM

Wonderful! I am excited to have my plans back!

thart 2013-10-04 01:58 PM

Just loaded new OF for iPad & DB syncs as before.
Thank you for the follow up.
I am fully operational again!

helenr 2013-10-05 01:19 AM

Weekly (I wish) reviews possible again :)

Up and running again here too. Thank you. All devices (Mac & 2 iPads) showed the update automatically mind you fwiw. No need for any intervention.

skillet 2013-10-05 10:04 AM

I am back up and running again. So strange that it worked for a few days with it down to under 4MB and then stopped but all seems good now. Thanks! I just had to add back my perspectives which took a whopping 2 minutes.