The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Feature/UI Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=28)

Forrest 2006-04-21 09:30 AM

How does Safari interface with the OS X Dictionary?

JKT 2006-04-21 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=jstarrantino]I'd like to see OW add in an interface to OS X Dictionary program. I like the way Pages and Safari both do this, and I find it very convenient.

Its the one Safari feature I've really missed since I've started using OW regularly.

Jack P. Starrantino[/QUOTE]
It's working at the moment in sp4 of OmniWeb 5.5.

Forrest - check whatever your keyboard shortcut is for Look Up in Dictionary (check your Keyboard and Mouse Prefs>Keyboard Shortcuts).

When you hover your mouse pointer over a word, pressing that combo will either launch the Dictionary (or if you have chosen that pref, pop up the definition under the mouse). It would be a nice feature if it actually did English instead of American but it is useless unless you are from the US.

I'll stick to OmniDictionary until Apple sorts out other language support.

jstarrantino 2006-04-21 10:59 AM

If you select a word in Safari, and then right click, you get a small pop-up menu that includes "Look Up in Dictionary".

There are three other options on the menu. One is "Copy". The other two are to search for the word using Spotlight or Google.

Playing the same game in OW brings up a much larger pop-up, and most of the options are not related to the fact that there is a selected region of text.

Now that I play with it, the OW behavior is to bring up a pop-up with page/frame options in response to a right click in a page. If you happen to select a region before the click, the resulting pop-up will have two new options that apply to the selected region; copy and speak.

Safari brings up different menus in these two cases. IMHO, I think Apple got this right.

Jack P. Starrantino

Forrest 2006-04-21 12:18 PM

I understand now. The request is to have the dictionary lookup in the contextual menu. Although I'm not a fan of adding more stuff to the menu (unless it's super helpful...) I do like the idea of the menu being more different if text is selected.

troyb 2006-04-21 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=jstarrantino]I'd like to see OW add in an interface to OS X Dictionary program. I like the way Pages and Safari both do this, and I find it very convenient.

Its the one Safari feature I've really missed since I've started using OW regularly.

Jack P. Starrantino[/QUOTE]

The shortcut (Command-Control-D) will work in OmniWeb 5.5 when highlighting a word.

FredH 2006-04-21 05:36 PM

I'm sure the developers don't want to comment on possible features in future releases, but has anyone ever mentioned if a regular tab bar will ever be an option? Inquiring 12" PB users want to know...

Nutrimentia 2006-04-21 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=Jon Hicks]I'd like to start a thread for people to throw in their feature or UI requests for future Omniweb releases. I'll kick off:

Features

- Find as you type. I use it all the time in Camino (including in source view). Firefox has a great UI for this.
[/quote]

We already have this, at least in 5.1. I assume (and depend!!!!!) on it still being there in 5.5.

Forrest 2006-04-22 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=Nutrimentia]We already have this, at least in 5.1. I assume (and depend!!!!!) on it still being there in 5.5.[/QUOTE]

It's not in 5.1 or 5.5 (yet)

[QUOTE=Ken Case]The advantage of Find As You Type (also known as Incremental Search to those of us who've used it in emacs for 20 years) is [...] that you don't have to type the full search string if you find what you're looking for after typing just a few of the letters of the search.[/QUOTE]

troyb 2006-04-22 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Forrest]It's not in 5.1 or 5.5 (yet)[/QUOTE]

He might be referring to the defaults write TextFindAsYouType. When you turn this on if you first type a / you can do a full text search of the page. It's not complete and lacking useful functionality such as find next though. (This doesn't appear to be working at all in 5.5 right now).

Forrest 2006-04-22 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=troyb]He might be referring to the defaults write TextFindAsYouType. When you turn this on if you first type a / you can do a full text search of the page. It's not complete and lacking useful functionality such as find next though. (This doesn't appear to be working at all in 5.5 right now).[/QUOTE]

doh! I thought that feature existed but couldn't find it.

Anyway, in the SP board Jon spelled out what he was asking for and Ken responded with an understanding of the specific request. It is still different than what Nutrimentia mentioned.