The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How do local notifications work in OF 1.7? [Similar to Push alerts] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16568)

Greg Jones 2010-06-23 12:22 PM

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7? [Similar to Push alerts]

Are the local notifications at all configurable? Advance alarm time setting, and perhaps most important, audible and/or vibrate alarm function? All I am seeing is an on-screen pop-up, which doesn't help me if the phone is not out and in my view at the time of the alarm. Also, I assume that there are no alarms for start times?

JKT 2010-06-23 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;79078]Are the local notifications at all configurable? Advance alarm time setting, and perhaps most important, audible and/or vibrate alarm function? All I am seeing is an on-screen pop-up, which doesn't help me if the phone is not out and in my view at the time of the alarm. Also, I assume that there are no alarms for start times?[/QUOTE]
Can I assume that these are also only available on iPhone 3GS and above, not on 3G with iOS4? I'm not seeing any local notification settings at all.

Greg Jones 2010-06-23 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=JKT;79080]Can I assume that these are also only available on iPhone 3GS and above, not on 3G with iOS4? I'm not seeing any local notification settings at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing any settings on a 3G either, which is why I ask. I thought perhaps the settings were in the iPhone's Settings app, Notifications, but OmniFocus does not appear in the list.

the doug 2010-06-23 01:51 PM

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7?

How do the notifications work now in OF 1.7? I had been syncing to iCal and getting alerts that way. With iOS 4 and OF 1.7, should I turn off calendar syncing to avoid duplicate alerts?

I remember reading that the calendar alerts (am I talking about the right alerts?) were some sort of workaround until iOS 4 came out with its ability to handle local notifications.

I'm just curious about best practices here...!

Just.Ortiz 2010-06-23 02:02 PM

Just to piggyback that question:

Should OF ask me if it wants to give me notifications or do these internal alerts work differently?

derekr 2010-06-23 02:49 PM

You [I]could[/I] turn off the calendar notifications, but it's worth pointing out that if you rely on those (currently) on the desktop, it will no longer continue updating.

Also, local notifications don't currently have the ability to produce a sound or vibration — calendar notifications still do.

Andy 2010-06-23 03:01 PM

Occu

Is there a way to disable these notifications or change the time before the due date the notification occurs?

Ken Case 2010-06-23 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=the doug;79088]How do the notifications work now in OF 1.7? I had been syncing to iCal and getting alerts that way. With iOS 4 and OF 1.7, should I turn off calendar syncing to avoid duplicate alerts?

I remember reading that the calendar alerts (am I talking about the right alerts?) were some sort of workaround until iOS 4 came out with its ability to handle local notifications.

I'm just curious about best practices here...![/QUOTE]

My general advice is to unsubscribe from the calendar on your iOS 4 devices so you won't get duplicate alerts from your local notifications. But you might want to keep publishing the calendar (even if your iOS 4 devices no longer use it) if you're using that calendar on other devices (such as your Mac or iPad).

And, as Derek points out, the local due alerts in 1.7 don't make any sounds at the moment. If you'd like sounds with your alerts, please send email to [email]omnifocus@omnigroup.com[/email] and we'll add your vote to the feature request.

Greg Jones 2010-06-23 03:27 PM

I've sent my email feedback on this, and I'll add a thought or two here. My initial thoughts are that local alerts in 1.7 are a disappointment and a regression in functionality. Not only do they not alert me when the phone is off (not a trusted system for reminders), but now I have duplicate alerts to click through as I've decided to keep calendar notifications on for the audible alarm.

I had hoped that with local notifications, we would see various options for alerts for start times, due times, audible and/or vibrate options, silent times for no audible alarms, etc. Hopefully the thinking behind the current implementation can be revisited in the future. If not, I wonder if an API could link OmniFocus to a third-part app such as Boxcar?

hypotyposis 2010-06-23 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;79096]Not only do they not alert me when the phone is off (not a trusted system for reminders)[/QUOTE]

I must be missing out on something? How could anything on the phone alert you if it is off?
I'm actually personally not a fan of notifications from anything but my calendar, so my vote is to keep OF as feature-light as possible in this direction (with my apologies to everybody who'd like more alerts through OF)...

Greg Jones 2010-06-23 04:18 PM

The phone is off, as in asleep-not powered off completely.

Brian 2010-06-23 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Andy;79093]Is there a way to disable these notifications or change the time before the due date the notification occurs?[/QUOTE]

There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them.
[INDENT][URL="omnifocus:///debug?set-default:EnableDueAlerts:false"]Disable local notifications[/URL]

[URL="omnifocus:///debug?reset-default:EnableDueAlerts"]Enable local notifications[/URL]
[/INDENT]
(You'll need to restart OmniFocus for the settings to take affect.)

The time isn't adjustable at this point, but as always, folks that want that can email the [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] and vote for the feature. Thanks!

aliteralmind 2010-06-23 05:44 PM

Just sent this into the ninjas. Hope I'm not the only one thinking this..

---
I definitely would choose sound for my notifications. So that's vote one.

And since I have almost 2,000 actions in almost 100 projects, I would definitely like a bit more control over configuring my alerts. An alerts on-off switch in each project and super-action would be super-sweet (one in each action I think would be sickly-treacle-y sweet).

Finally, a simple local notifications on-off switch in the options dialog would be nice.

LOVIN' the fast switching. Thanks for 1.7.

wlow 2010-06-23 06:39 PM

2nd vote for sound/vibration notification controls

The local notifications were a pleasant surprise (on my 3G), but they would be much more valuable if they also had a sound/vibration option. I was disappointed when I did not see any controls for it under Settings | Notifications. Presently the only way one is reminded of a task is if he/she incidentally looks at the phone's face (like when one happens to check the time, etc.), so it's not as good as walking along and feeling a vibration that would draw one's attention to the phone. Please implement this as soon as you can. Just about every other notification type on my phone has the option for sound/vibration.

aliteralmind 2010-06-23 08:08 PM

Actually, I would think the notification should be sometime BEFORE the due date. Many of my due dates are of the drop-dead fashion, meaning a notification at the moment they are just about to go overdue is not what I want in many (most?) cases. I think being notified at the START date-time would be preferrable. Oh and how very nice a snooze functionality would be...

curiousstranger 2010-06-24 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=wlow;79108]The local notifications were a pleasant surprise (on my 3G)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're working on my 3G as well, which I was a little surprised by. Should they be?

hypotyposis 2010-06-24 10:18 PM

Ok, I understand better what you guys meant having received my first "alert" today... And I must say (respectfully) that I'm personally not in favour of implementing more options/more complications for alerts... In fact, I don't really see the points of alerts outside of calendar reminders, i.e. outside of the OF system.

Now since I don't want to be completely daft, I was wondering if those of you requesting alerts, and particularly those of you with many actions/projects, could tell me how you use them in your workflow, since I don't see it currently?
For example, how many alerts are you expecting to/would you like to/do you currently receive per day? How do you incorporate this vs. (or with) daily/weekly reviews, if at all?

Just curious and hoping to understand other workflow styles...

Thanks

fudster 2010-06-24 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=hypotyposis;79164]Ok, I understand better what you guys meant having received my first "alert" today... And I must say (respectfully) that I'm personally not in favour of implementing more options/more complications for alerts... In fact, I don't really see the points of alerts outside of calendar reminders, i.e. outside of the OF system.

Now since I don't want to be completely daft, I was wondering if those of you requesting alerts, and particularly those of you with many actions/projects, could tell me how you use them in your workflow, since I don't see it currently?
For example, how many alerts are you expecting to/would you like to/do you currently receive per day? How do you incorporate this vs. (or with) daily/weekly reviews, if at all?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I would use alerts if I could enable them on a task-by-task or project-by-project basis (i.e. a checkbox on the inspector panel nearby the due date).

I was using calendar alerts, but I rely on repeating tasks a lot - everything from remembering to give the cats their medicine once a week, to checking the tire pressure on the cars, to checking the chemicals in the hot tub, to submitting my monthly expense claim at work. On some days I had several alerts and I just went numb to them.

But if I could easily select an alert so it appears when I really do need one to appear, I would definitely do it.

hypotyposis 2010-06-24 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=fudster;79165]I would use alerts if I could enable them on a task-by-task or project-by-project basis (i.e. a checkbox on the inspector panel nearby the due date).

I was using calendar alerts, but I rely on repeating tasks a lot - everything from remembering to give the cats their medicine once a week, to checking the tire pressure on the cars, to checking the chemicals in the hot tub, to submitting my monthly expense claim at work. On some days I had several alerts and I just went numb to them.

But if I could easily select an alert so it appears when I really do need one to appear, I would definitely do it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, fudster. I see your point, but wouldn't it be a lot of extra work deciding which tasks merit an alert or not? (and from a NA point of view, doesn't this come back to the prioritization problem?) And wouldn't you eventually risk "becoming numb" to alerts from OF as well? Especially if they're for the same repeating tasks? Just curious... For me, one of the revelations of GTD was the review system, which even diminished the need for calendar alerts (morning calendar preview), so I'm trying to understand how other implementations work.

I'd like to say I can relate to the "chemicals in the hot tub", but fortunately when I walked in my PI's office the first thing I said was "I like maths", which landed me the sweet, sweet job of analysis (that gets me a free pass on working from a laptop at my preferred coffee shop)... :D

fudster 2010-06-24 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=hypotyposis;79166]Thanks, fudster. I see your point, but wouldn't it be a lot of extra work deciding which tasks merit an alert or not? (and from a NA point of view, doesn't this come back to the prioritization problem?) And wouldn't you eventually risk "becoming numb" to alerts from OF as well? Especially if they're for the same repeating tasks? Just curious... For me, one of the revelations of GTD was the review system, which even diminished the need for calendar alerts (morning calendar preview), so I'm trying to understand how other implementations work.

I'd like to say I can relate to the "chemicals in the hot tub", but fortunately when I walked in my PI's office the first thing I said was "I like maths", which landed me the sweet, sweet job of analysis (that gets me a free pass on working from a laptop at my preferred coffee shop)... :D[/QUOTE]

I would not become numb to them if they were disabled by default. If I determined during my review that I actually do need a hard reminder to do one peculiar and particular thing at a certain time, and if OF allowed me to do that with the click of a checkbox, I would use the feature. More precisely, I think I'd use it if I could enable it on the Mac and see the alert on the iPhone (or on both). I think the method of using the iCal calendar would provide that flexibility.

I think one reason I went numb to the (all-or-nothing) alerts was that most of my duedates are for recurring tasks, that are easily renegotiable, because they are agreements I've made with myself.

I actually struggled with some GTD-guilt about using due dates like this (i.e. ascribing due dates to something that's not really hard-landscape), but I don't worry too much about that anymore. This works for me, I'm more effective and dependable from doing it this way. But there have been times I wish I could easily set an alert for a due date though - perhaps three or four times a month.

Greg Jones 2010-06-25 03:20 AM

[QUOTE=hypotyposis;79164]Ok, I understand better what you guys meant having received my first "alert" today... And I must say (respectfully) that I'm personally not in favour of implementing more options/more complications for alerts... In fact, I don't really see the points of alerts outside of calendar reminders, i.e. outside of the OF system.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If I were King of OmniFocus for a day, here is an example of my workflow and how additional options to alarms would benefit me. First, I don't use a lot of due dates, and for a task that does have a due date, a reminder that the task is now overdue is typically too late to be of any use to me. I do however use start dates and times extensively. Some start times default to midnight of the day, but I also use start times during the day and these are the tasks that I would like to have reminders for.

As example, a west coast office opens at noon my time, and I want an alarm at that time to remind me to call them. I don't need an alarm at 8pm to tell me the task is due-it's too late to call them by then. With the old OmniFocus calendar alarms, I would sometimes fake what I needed by assigning a due time to the actual start time, but that's a bit of a kludge when I actually do have a set date and time when I need to complete a particular task.

Another example is that I do project work where I need a set length of time between the completion of one task before I can begin the next task, and I want to start that next task immediately when it becomes available to keep the project on schedule. What I do currently is go into the Clock app and set a timer or an alarm, but it's just one more step/app to use to remind me of what is already established in OmniFocus.

Give the above, I'd like to see the following additions to notifications in OmniFocus:

1) A preference setting to enable notifications for start times, due times, or both.

2) A preference to set notifications to an audible alarm/vibrate, vibrate only, or visual only (as works currently). Technically, this preference does not need to appear in OmniFocus if OmniFocus was included in the Notifications section of the Settings app. I already have 8 apps that appear in this preference-not sure why OmniFocus was not coded to do the same?

3) A preference to set a 'quiet' time period (say 11:00pm-5:00am) when alarms are turned off. This would be very important to keep all the alarms that would be triggered at midnight from going off while I'm in bed. Boxcar handless this very nicely with the notifications I get through the service.

4) Number 3 above would also require a preference in OmniFocus to set a default start time for tasks, just as the user can set the default due time. OmniFocus really needs this option anyway, and should be added even if notifications remain unchanged.

Everything above is set through a preference setting, so once the options are set they are transparent to the day-to-day use of OmniFocus. This would meet my needs while not requiring me to think about assigning notifications on a task-by-task, project-by-project basis. However, I can understand and respect fudster's thoughts to have that level of control.

hypotyposis 2010-06-25 06:49 AM

Thanks Greg, I see what you mean: a kind of Growl for the iPhone... (on my Mac, I do have Growl inform me of when tasks become available in OF), and I agree with a general pref pane in your 2) (I of course also respect fudster's thoughts, but I'm slightly concerned at the extra level of complication/weight for the iPhone app that task-by-task alarm preferences would introduce).

As for your workflow with projects of sequential tasks with set duration, am I right in thinking this is the kind of stuff a better OmniProject/OmniFocus integration would cover?

Greg Jones 2010-06-25 08:54 AM

I've used Prowl to get Growl notifications on my iPhone, and if it were not for the fact that I have to leave my Mac open and on, that notification system would suite me just fine.

As to a better OmniProject/OmniFocus integration, I'm sure that would would help some users. Not sure that it help me as I don't think that I need a project management app, but depending on how tightly the two integrate-I just might give it a try.

hypotyposis 2010-06-25 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;79188]I've used Prowl to get Growl notifications on my iPhone, and if it were not for the fact that I have to leave my Mac open and on, that notification system would suite me just fine.

As to a better OmniProject/OmniFocus integration, I'm sure that would would help some users. Not sure that it help me as I don't think that I need a project management app, but depending on how tightly the two integrate-I just might give it a try.[/QUOTE]

They don't integrate immensely right now, if you do a search in the forums you'll see lots of threads about that... It would be nice if they did!

avandelay 2010-06-28 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;79101]There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them[/QUOTE]

Yikes. So it's just a global "all or nothing", with no visible controls? Sorry, but that's just crazy. I seeked out an answer because I was tired of millions of things popping up on my screen and couldn't figure out how to disable them. That seems like a UI failure to me. Users should never have to find your forums and search through them to turn off these irritating alerts.

wealthychef 2010-06-30 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=Brian;79101]There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them.
[INDENT][URL="omnifocus:///debug?set-default:EnableDueAlerts:false"]Disable local notifications[/URL]

[URL="omnifocus:///debug?reset-default:EnableDueAlerts"]Enable local notifications[/URL]
[/INDENT]

The time isn't adjustable at this point, but as always, folks that want that can email the [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] and vote for the feature. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. This feature should not be enabled without the user's knowledge or permissions -- it's very annoying. Each day I get like 10 notifications that I have to dismiss -- I'm not interested in any of them and they are modal dialogs that I HAVE to deal with before continuing. Very unproductive feature. Please disable this by default and make it an option. Thanks!
PS -- just sent this to ninjas as well. Others please add your voice, this cannot be good for most people to be nagged by default...

wealthychef 2010-06-30 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;79173]If I were King of OmniFocus for a day....I'd like to see the following additions to notifications in OmniFocus:

1) A preference setting to enable notifications for start times, due times, or both.

2) A preference to set notifications to an audible alarm/vibrate....

3) A preference to set a 'quiet' time period....
4) Number 3 above would also require a preference in OmniFocus ...

Everything above is set through a preference setting[/QUOTE]

Effin' brilliant! Absolutely the perfect solution! Yes

Chris 2010-06-30 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;79101]There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them.

[/INDENT]

The time isn't adjustable at this point, but as always, folks that want that can email the [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] and vote for the feature. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Is there any indication on the device that this worked? (Other than waiting for the next notification to not appear.)

As others have said, this is an extremely annoying "feature". I can't believe it was added without a UI setting to turn it off.

CatOne 2010-06-30 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Chris;79475]Is there any indication on the device that this worked? (Other than waiting for the next notification to not appear.)

As others have said, this is an extremely annoying "feature". I can't believe it was added without a UI setting to turn it off.[/QUOTE]

click it, and the notifications will stop. It's easy enough to verify :-)

Chris 2010-07-01 12:02 PM

Well, I clicked it yesterday, and I got a notification today, so there must be something more than that.

Edit: Oh, I see, there is more too it. You have to wait for OF to bring up the big "Invoke and Quit" dialog. I wasn't patient enough yesterday. (iPhone 3G, so some things take a while.)

Firles 2010-07-02 12:08 PM

iOS4 –*PUSH too pushy -or- How do I disable PUSH?

Hi all,
Ever since the new version of OmniFocus for iPhone (the purple one) came out I get a PUSH-like notification for each todo that is due. This means that each morning I have to hit the "OK" button about a dozen times to get them to all go away.

How do I stop these notifications? There is nothing in Settings->Notifications. No Settings->OmniFocus at all. No option appears right in the in-app settings either.

Any idea how to turn off these notifications?

Thanks,
~B

whpalmer4 2010-07-02 12:17 PM

See Brian's post here: [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=79101&postcount=12[/url]

Brian 2010-07-02 02:48 PM

Merged threads, added "push" to the title since other folks might search on that as well.

AniKarenina 2010-07-06 05:18 AM

Fundamentally bad software behavior

I nearly sent an infuriated rant to the support ninjas this morning about these local notifications, desperately looking for a way to turn them off. Fortunately, I found this forum thread before sending the message. I'd prefer to spare the poor ninjas my fury, but this particular "feature" is simply awful.

Like a few others, I see this as a regression, and not just because the functionality is misguided. It triggers at the wrong time to have any potential utility for me, often telling me that completed tasks are overdue because it notifies before I can sync. It pushes notifications even though I have Notifications turned off, with no apparent way to stop the harassment - this is inexcusably bad software behavior. Worse yet, it could potentially interrupt much more important functionality, like a 911 call - dismissing 10 overdue items should [B]never[/B] stand in the way of immediately using my mobile device! Seriously, how is this permissible?

"Features" like this should be opt-in with preference settings available from the start to allow users to control the behavior. I'm glad there's a work-around, but furious that I had to waste the time to find it. A Safari debug link is better than nothing, but not good enough for users who don't realize it might exist - I almost uninstalled the app out of sheer frustration.

Way to support productivity. I want my hour back.

hypotyposis 2010-07-06 05:00 PM

AniKarenina, I can understand your frustration... But seriously, "it could potentially interrupt ... a 911 call"? So could so many other things on an iPhone...: an incoming call, a text message, and email... If you want a solid phone to make a 911 call without any distractions, you probably want to move away from the smartphones altogether.

[QUOTE=AniKarenina;79749]I nearly sent an infuriated rant to the support ninjas this morning about these local notifications, desperately looking for a way to turn them off. Fortunately, I found this forum thread before sending the message. I'd prefer to spare the poor ninjas my fury, but this particular "feature" is simply awful.

Like a few others, I see this as a regression, and not just because the functionality is misguided. It triggers at the wrong time to have any potential utility for me, often telling me that completed tasks are overdue because it notifies before I can sync. It pushes notifications even though I have Notifications turned off, with no apparent way to stop the harassment - this is inexcusably bad software behavior. Worse yet, it could potentially interrupt much more important functionality, like a 911 call - dismissing 10 overdue items should [B]never[/B] stand in the way of immediately using my mobile device! Seriously, how is this permissible?

"Features" like this should be opt-in with preference settings available from the start to allow users to control the behavior. I'm glad there's a work-around, but furious that I had to waste the time to find it. A Safari debug link is better than nothing, but not good enough for users who don't realize it might exist - I almost uninstalled the app out of sheer frustration.

Way to support productivity. I want my hour back.[/QUOTE]

Zachariah 2010-07-10 06:40 PM

[/INDENT]
(You'll need to restart OmniFocus for the settings to take affect [sic].)[/QUOTE]

[I]Thank you![/I] The notices were driving me crazy on my 3G.

albyrne 2010-07-17 04:43 PM

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7?

[/INDENT]
[/QUOTE]

I've just incorporated/activated this preference setting in the negative, disabling the local notifications. Can you please confirm that the push notifications will still be working as previously? My intent is to rely, as previously, on the push notifications, and not see local alerts at all. The wording of the dialog box presented after I clicked on the 'disable' link now gives me a nagging doubt about push notifications... Call me paranoid!

a

whpalmer4 2010-07-17 05:09 PM

Best way for you to confirm that you're getting the notifications you want would be to try it! Make sure the setting for Calendar Export is still enabled on the settings page, and create yourself a test due item due in an hour or so. Sync your iPhone and have a look at the last modification date on the OmniFocus Reminders.ics file on your sync server; it should be the date/time of the last sync if everything is working. And of course you should get the notification you set up...

albyrne 2010-07-18 01:26 AM

Yep - thank you. I can confirm that I've tested, and the conventional push notifications are still coming through, while the local notifications are disabled. IE back to normal.

Thank you.

a

dogpaw 2010-07-27 12:23 PM

How to turn notifications OFF

How do I turn off the notifications on my iPhone? I typically have 12-20 tasks on an average day and when I first launch OF on my iPhone for the day, I have to manually close each and every notification window up to 20 times.

Is there a way to turn this off?

thanks

whpalmer4 2010-07-27 12:52 PM

See this post:

[url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=79101&postcount=12[/url]

dogpaw 2010-07-27 01:51 PM

Genius. Thanks. I wonder why this isn't in the UI? Just wondering.

Thanks

whpalmer4 2010-07-27 01:55 PM

It will be. I guess they figured that it was better to get the feature out to those who wanted it right away (remember that the time between iOS4 being unveiled to the world and shipping the iOS4 compatible version was pretty short, and they are busy with a few projects these days!)

jamesafoster 2010-07-28 01:06 PM

ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but...

when I "see this post": [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=79101&postcount=12[/url]

and click on either of the links (while in safari), it opens whatever the current window is in OF. I don't see any mention of notifications there.

It is seriously annoying to have these pop-up messages on my iPhone. They work well on the mac with growl, but on the iPhone they are just a nuisance.

Did clicking the links in the above post really turn them off on the iPhone? did it leave them on on the mac?

If I may summarize: GRRRRRR

hypotyposis 2010-07-28 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=jamesafoster;81106]ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but...

when I "see this post": [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=79101&postcount=12[/url]

and click on either of the links (while in safari), it opens whatever the current window is in OF. I don't see any mention of notifications there.

It is seriously annoying to have these pop-up messages on my iPhone. They work well on the mac with growl, but on the iPhone they are just a nuisance.

Did clicking the links in the above post really turn them off on the iPhone? did it leave them on on the mac?

If I may summarize: GRRRRRR[/QUOTE]

Just checking: you opened the links in Safari [I]on your iPhone[/I], right?

curt.clifton 2010-07-28 04:47 PM

The links when opened in Safari [I]on your iPhone[/I] (which is what Brian meant by "on your device" in the linked post) just send commands to OF iPhone to enable or disable the notifications on your iPhone. They do not change anything with regard to notifications on your Mac. These sorts of links are the iPhone equivalent of 'defaults' commands in Terminal on the Mac—hidden voodoo for setting preferences that aren't exposed in the user interface. They are a pain, but better than nothing I suppose.

Ken has said that providing a user interface for changing notifications on the iPhone is a very high priority. They were pouring all their energy into OF iPad, but hopefully will be able to pivot back to some iPhone clean up once the iPad version is shipping.

FatalError 2010-08-10 06:21 AM

Wow, what a mess. OF-team: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - next time you implement ANY new functionality also contain it in the UI!

This really is bad policy, otherwise.

1) Don't force users into options they don't want to use.

2) And don't force users to crawl through forums searching for the one post with the solution. This should be a sticky at the top of the iphone forum and the solution should be in an explanatory introduction post by the team.

cheers.

DethByJazz 2010-09-16 05:49 PM

I used the disable link, restarted the app, deleted OF from my 3GS, restarted the device and I am STILL getting the alert notifications! Now what?!