The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OmniWeb 5.6 Sneaky Peeks now available! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3972)

Handycam 2007-07-17 02:31 PM

Or bookmark it and set the bookmark to be checked daily. That's what I've been doing.

dmz 2007-07-18 04:14 PM

Yes, indeed, that would let me know when there's an update to download - and I do use the RSS feed - but it doesn't actually download and install it. Streamlining the process is a very good thing, especially when one has multiple machines to keep up to date. :)

Actually, the current update process within OmniWeb could use streamlining too; it's one of the few apps I use that still doesn't update itself, but directs you to a download site for updates... but I wasn't suggesting that Omni needs to implement a "download and install update" tool, I'm just curious as to whether anybody else has - a la CaminoKnight, as mentioned previously. I guess the answer to that question is "no".

FredH 2007-07-18 08:12 PM

Are other people seeing very slow launch times?

Floach 2007-07-19 04:42 AM

[QUOTE=FredH]Are other people seeing very slow launch times?[/QUOTE]

Not I. Fast as always. Which is good, since using the web inspector on certain sites causes OW to go boom. Tried clearing your history, caches, other sources of crufty buildup?

FredH 2007-07-19 05:52 AM

[QUOTE=Floach]Not I. Fast as always. Which is good, since using the web inspector on certain sites causes OW to go boom. Tried clearing your history, caches, other sources of crufty buildup?[/QUOTE]

Well, new problem, I can't clear my history. Tried twice and it hung up for several minutes.

m-rick 2007-07-19 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=FredH]Are other people seeing very slow launch times?[/QUOTE]

I have it two when I have some tabs open, it takes seconds to load pages, and sometimes OW will crash at startup. When it hangs like this, it uses CPU and memory also.

m-rick 2007-07-21 02:24 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]I currently have over 30 tabs open and OmniWeb is using less than 0.5% of the CPU and 267MB of memory—except when I'm actually typing, when the CPU jumps up to around 3%. So (as it sounds like you've already determined) it probably has something to do with specific sites you're visiting.

OK, so when you go to some sites it starts eating CPU, and when you close those sites it doesn't stop? It would be very helpful if you could send in a sample of where OmniWeb is spending its CPU. You can do this by running Activity Monitor (from /Applications/Utilities), selecting OmniWeb (it's easy if you filter for "OmniWeb"), and then selecting Sample Process from the View menu. If you send us that sample, we'll look through it to see if we can figure out what's going wrong.

You might also check OmniWeb's error log and network activity (select Error Log and Network Activity from the Window menu) to see if there's anything relevant showing up in either of those places.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon; thanks for your help![/QUOTE]
It is a known problem, it already happens in the 5.5.4.

It usually happens after a long time of use, at least 1 hour and they are several complains about this in several Mac forums and in the Macupdate comments.

FredH 2007-07-24 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=m-rick]It is a known problem, it already happens in the 5.5.4.

It usually happens after a long time of use, at least 1 hour and they are several complains about this in several Mac forums and in the Macupdate comments.[/QUOTE]

If I leave it open for a long time, it will either freeze up when I come back or be extremely slow. I assume I'm not the only one still having this issue with 5.6? Was this a bug that was supposed to be fixed?

Frankenstein 2007-07-25 02:47 PM

I've been using OmniWeb 5.6 sneaky peek for the past few weeks, and I'm very happy with it. I thought about ditching OmniWeb for Safari 3 (that Find feature is [U]really[/U] nice and useful), but in the end, OmniWeb prevailed. I was extremely surprised earlier today when I noticed that the PDF file that is created when you save a webpage as PDF now retains hyperlinks! That's a feature I've wanted for quite some time now, and I'm not sure how long it's been in there. Nevertheless, I'm glad to have discovered it.

OmniFolks, you're doing a great job, as usual!

PS: Please, please change the Find window in OmniWeb to something that's very close to, nay, *better* than Safari 3's Find feature! ;-)

Jerseycoa 2007-08-06 03:11 PM

Is there a new sneaky peek download link?

I'm getting a blank page with this one. Thank you.

Edit: Working now and downloading.

[QUOTE=troyb;16204]Hi Everyone,

It's been a long wait I know. We now have sneaky peeks available though! We plan to offer up regular builds as changes are added to OmniWeb you can download at your leasure from this page:

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/download/sneakypeek/[/url]

Please grab the latest download but if you have problems with that feel free to grab an earlier alpha. We wont be notifying of these builds via Software Update like our traditional releases work so bookmark the link above or better yet, subscribe to the appcast!

Thanks for the patience everyone and please enjoy OmniWeb 5.6 sneaky peeks![/QUOTE]