The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Associate 'Call X' actions with built in iPhone address book? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=19881)

weareborg 2011-01-25 02:36 PM

Associate 'Call X' actions with built in iPhone address book?

Hi,
are there any plans to associate 'Call X' or 'Phone X' actions with iPhone address book contacts assignable from within Omnifocus. I used this feature on 2Do and it is a great timesaver.
Cheers,
wab

Brian 2011-01-25 02:40 PM

I believe we have a feature request open on that - if interested parties email the [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] and ask to be attached to that request, it helps the team know which features are most requested and plan accordingly. Thanks!

macronencer 2012-10-07 05:07 AM

Did this feature get added? I've been away from use of OF for a while and I'm starting it up again - I found a task telling me to email the support line about this, but maybe it's already been done... anyone know?

It would be particularly useful on iPhone.

Brian 2012-10-09 02:26 PM

Not in there yet, but I'll attach you to the item we have open on this in the development database. Thanks!

macronencer 2012-10-09 11:35 PM

Thanks Brian, much obliged!

laumartins 2012-10-10 04:38 AM

please can anyone help, i also have the same problem

Dale 2012-10-13 12:22 AM

You can enter the phone number of the person into the notes field of a task. On the iPhone it will show as a link. Clicking the link results in a dialog asking if you want to call the number.

Any of the following formats work.

(###) ###-####
###-###-####
###.###.####
##########

macronencer 2012-10-14 12:01 AM

That's true, Dale. However, not everyone has a phone number; and it would be even more convenient if I could type a name and then either press a hotkey or perhaps even do nothing and have it auto-match to address book entries and link to one of them.

What I'm really driving at is the ability to just enter "Call Fred Bloggs" and know that on my phone I'll be able to open Fred's address book entry with one tap. I don't really want to have the additional step of opening the address book first to get the phone number and then going back and pasting it into OF.

whpalmer4 2012-10-14 07:59 AM

How long do you expect to use an iPhone without Siri to do your bidding? One could make the argument that this would be a feature already headed for obsolescence. Why not spend the development effort on features that will be useful to a larger share of the user population for a longer time?

Please, no need to make an argument about how I'd be more appreciative of this feature if I didn't have the latest and greatest, not everyone can upgrade immediately, etc. — I'm still using the original iPhone!

Dale 2012-10-14 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=macronencer;116010]That's true, Dale. However, not everyone has a phone number; and it would be even more convenient if I could type a name and then either press a hotkey or perhaps even do nothing and have it auto-match to address book entries and link to one of them.

What I'm really driving at is the ability to just enter "Call Fred Bloggs" and know that on my phone I'll be able to open Fred's address book entry with one tap. I don't really want to have the additional step of opening the address book first to get the phone number and then going back and pasting it into OF.[/QUOTE]

1) Maybe I misunderstood. I was answering in response to a "Call X" or "Phone X" task. Your response to this was stating not everyone has a phone number. While this might be true in some cases. Questions could be asked regarding the action being described to "Call X" whom does not have a phone number as incorrect and potentially misaligned to what your context is to complete this task.

2) I do not own the application 2Do, but what I can tell from the website is the "associate to contacts" feature is part of a tagging implementation within the application. The contact information is associated to the tag not the task. I would argue similarly as you do with the extra effort my suggestion costs you to simply open the address book to copy & paste a phone number, the maintaining of an entirely extra custom tagging scheme is much more time consuming than simply adding to the note field.

3) I agree with whpalmer4. The way iOS 6 & OmniFocus have integrated Siri, many of your concerns with identifying a contact's information have been resolved by asking Siri to call, text or email a contact.