The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Action-based Perspective? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18836)

patgallant 2010-11-08 06:54 AM

Action-based Perspective?

Is it possible to create a perspective based on actions (as opposed to contexts or projects) using OF for Mac? I'd like to command-click select a few actions to really focus on and I naturally thought a perspective would be ideal for that. Turns out I can't seem to be able to do what I want.

Thoughts?

imlad 2010-11-08 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=patgallant;88640]Is it possible to create a perspective based on actions (as opposed to contexts or projects) using OF for Mac? I'd like to command-click select a few actions to really focus on and I naturally thought a perspective would be ideal for that. Turns out I can't seem to be able to do what I want.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that this is possible (having tried so myself). If I am wrong, someone, please let me know - as I would very much like to have this functionality at my disposal.

whpalmer4 2010-11-08 10:41 AM

Flag the actions on which you wish to focus, then bring up the Flagged perspective.

patgallant 2010-11-08 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;88666]Flag the actions on which you wish to focus, then bring up the Flagged perspective.[/QUOTE]

Thought of that, but I'm already using flags for something else (basically for something that needs my attention but doesn't necessarily have a due date). I was looking to refine even further on those days where my due and/or flagged perspectives are cluttered so that I can cherry pick 3-4 tasks and just focus on those for the day without any other noise.

imlad 2010-11-08 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=imlad;88661]I don't believe that this is possible (having tried so myself). If I am wrong, someone, please let me know - as I would very much like to have this functionality at my disposal.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that would work. I guess what I would love to be able to do is to add any given action to any given perspective.

whpalmer4 2010-11-08 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=patgallant;88667]Thought of that, but I'm already using flags for something else (basically for something that needs my attention but doesn't necessarily have a due date). I was looking to refine even further on those days where my due and/or flagged perspectives are cluttered so that I can cherry pick 3-4 tasks and just focus on those for the day without any other noise.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how much "baggage" these tasks have, but assuming you just need the task name, why not just copy and paste them into a TextEdit or Sticky Note window and close or hide OmniFocus?

atreinke 2010-11-08 01:09 PM

Why not just creat a folder and label it Action Items. Then you can just set a perspective up to view that folder and move whatever projects that you want to focus on that day into that folder. Move them out when you don't, and so on.

Brian 2010-11-08 03:40 PM

I believe we have a feature request open on the ability to focus on collections of individual actions; folks that would like this can contact the [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] and ask to add themselves to that item in the development database. Thanks!