The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Help Understanding Dates (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4873)

Lenmonster 2007-09-15 12:29 PM

Help Understanding Dates

I have a project that contains a large list of calls to make as individual actions. In order to be able to divide them up daily, I simply want to sort those actions by their due date, or search by that date.

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can seem to order a list of actions within a project by due date. I'm choosing "ungrouped" and then from the sort menu "due", but it seems to do nothing.

Am I missing something? I love OmniFocus so far for collection of tasks, etc, but can't seem to get simple management of tasks to work correctly.

curt.clifton 2007-09-15 01:53 PM

In Project view, actions are always listed in the order you define them, or drag them into. Sorting there only happens at the level of whole projects. You need to switch to Context view to sort actions independently of their projects.

Hope that helps. If not, let us know and someone will post more details.

Lenmonster 2007-09-16 05:07 PM

Thanks. I figured this out when looking at a related question just after posting. I really never knew to use Context view...It's funny how something so obvious can be missed. I can now use the program!

However, one thing doesn't now make sense. I can group by "Due" which groups overall within various ranges of due date. But it looks like I should be able to group by project, and within that, isn't the second list "Sort"? If so, choosing "Due" from that seems that what should happen is everything will get grouped by project, and then within each project, the actions will be sorted by due dates, but it seems not to sort when I do this. Any insights?

curt.clifton 2007-09-16 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Lenmonster;21251]
However, one thing doesn't now make sense. I can group by "Due" which groups overall within various ranges of due date. But it looks like I should be able to group by project, and within that, isn't the second list "Sort"? If so, choosing "Due" from that seems that what should happen is everything will get grouped by project, and then within each project, the actions will be sorted by due dates, but it seems not to sort when I do this. Any insights?[/QUOTE]

It appears that none of the sorting options work when Context View is grouped by project. That seems like a bug. You can report it using Help --> Send Feedback from inside OF.

Lenmonster 2007-09-17 06:00 AM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;21257]It appears that none of the sorting options work when Context View is grouped by project. That seems like a bug. You can report it using Help --> Send Feedback from inside OF.[/QUOTE]
Thanks again. If it's a bug, that's actually fine with me, because at least I know I'm using the app correctly! I'll report it, though.