The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Jumping from context to project mode (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4924)

Chris 2007-09-19 11:29 AM

Jumping from context to project mode

If I'm in context mode and looking at an action, is there an easy way to jump to the project that contains that action? If so, how?

I ask because I often work in context mode, grouped by Due and sorted by Due. Before I click an action completed, I often want to look at the project for that action, to see what comes next, or if I need to add some actions for followup. I can't figure out an easy way to do that, though.

It would be nice if there were a contextaul menu item for this. (I think I already submitted a request for this.)

xmas 2007-09-19 12:02 PM

opt-cmd-r

View Menu -> Switch to Project/Context View

Chris 2007-09-19 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=xmas;21449]opt-cmd-r

View Menu -> Switch to Project/Context View[/QUOTE]

It never occurred to me that this might behave differently than the "Mode" buttons in the menu bar. (In fact, it's not clear why it does!) I still would like a contextual menu item as well.

dhm2006 2007-09-19 02:14 PM

There is a toolbar button for this as well. That is what I use.

henrikmk 2007-10-08 01:54 AM

[QUOTE=xmas;21449]opt-cmd-r

View Menu -> Switch to Project/Context View[/QUOTE]
I've been trying to use this, but I just get a system beep on any action I try it on. Why is that?

Craig 2007-10-08 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=henrikmk;22412]I've been trying to use this, but I just get a system beep on any action I try it on. Why is that?[/QUOTE]

I'm not completely sure if this is it, but I think that OF remembers the settings of the View Bar in each mode independently. So if you have selected a not-yet-available action in Project Mode and last time you were in Context Mode you had the View Bar set to Available, OF returns the error beep. Likewise if you have selected any active action in Context Mode and last time you were in Project Mode you had the View Bar set to Completed, it beeps.

Seems clear to me that this should be changed - if you want to view in the other mode, you want to view it and you don't care what the previous settings were. I suppose the question is which settings should OF be allowed to change itself in order to make the action visible.

xmas 2007-10-08 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=Craig;22418]I'm not completely sure if this is it, but I think that OF remembers the settings of the View Bar in each mode independently. So if you have selected a not-yet-available action in Project Mode and last time you were in Context Mode you had the View Bar set to Available, OF returns the error beep. Likewise if you have selected any active action in Context Mode and last time you were in Project Mode you had the View Bar set to Completed, it beeps.

Seems clear to me that this should be changed - if you want to view in the other mode, you want to view it and you don't care what the previous settings were. I suppose the question is which settings should OF be allowed to change itself in order to make the action visible.[/QUOTE]

Also make sure you have an action selected, otherwise this command is disabled.

RiK 2007-10-09 02:40 AM

I'm not sure it's working properly at the moment as I seem to get an error beep just about every time, whether i use the Cmd-Opt-R keys or the switch button.

It doesn't seem to be due to the view settings in planning mode as I've tried it with a next action highlighted in context view which i know is definitely visible in planning as I have all the remaining tasks showing.

Odd.

Frosty Crunch 2007-10-10 03:01 AM

The toolbar toggle is taking me to the other mode, but is not selecting the task that was originally selected. Has this changed? It seems like originally the toolbar toggle and option-command-R did the same thing.

By the say, it's cool how option-command-R works if multiple items are selected!