The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   64-bit test builds of OmniWeb now available (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=30557)

superhancpetram 2014-01-19 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=superhancpetram;129107]Is it just me or did Google Maps stop working? I’ve gone back through a number of previous builds and can’t find one test build that works.[/QUOTE]

After switching to Safari and activating the “new Google Maps” interface there, I can use the new Google Maps in OW again.

TimmyDee 2014-01-28 06:24 AM

OW seems increasingly stable (I’m on 202575 currently). Are you guys nearing a stable release?

mbert 2014-01-28 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=TimmyDee;129340]OW seems increasingly stable (I’m on 202575 currently). Are you guys nearing a stable release?[/QUOTE]I would not say "stable". I still get crashes. Yesterday's build shows some improvements for me (google mail works again), but I already had two crashes with it.

I'm happy with an alpha or beta status as long as there is some progress. In my humble opinion, at this time OW is still pretty far from a [I]product[/I]. There's just too many little details not yet working, like ad blocking or better feedback while loading a page.

jwthomas 2014-02-01 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=TimmyDee;129340]OW seems increasingly stable (I’m on 202575 currently). Are you guys nearing a stable release?[/QUOTE]

Well, everything so far has eventually crashed, but it’s certainly more stable
than it was at the outset. The most recent release v. 203131 won’t even open for me so there’s still a ways to go. I do enjoy OW so much when I’m using it that I’m willing to stick with it as a test browser for as long as it takes.

TimmyDee 2014-02-04 05:26 AM

[QUOTE=jwthomas;129435]Well, everything so far has eventually crashed, but it’s certainly more stable
than it was at the outset. The most recent release v. 203131 won’t even open for me so there’s still a ways to go. I do enjoy OW so much when I’m using it that I’m willing to stick with it as a test browser for as long as it takes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The most frequent crasher for me is the "SSL handshake failed". That usually pops up when OW is launching and attempting to load a saved tab that's trying to use a secure connection.

Ken Case 2014-02-04 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=TimmyDee;129340]OW seems increasingly stable (I’m on 202575 currently). Are you guys nearing a stable release?[/QUOTE]

I made some good progress over my December vacation, but then vacation ended without my managing to resolve that last big stability issue. Perhaps during my next one!

mbert 2014-02-04 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;129471]I made some good progress over my December vacation, but then vacation ended without my managing to resolve that last big stability issue. Perhaps during my next one![/QUOTE]Thank you for the update. Your work is greatly appreciated! And I am grateful for being able to continue using my favourite browser.

And if you don't mind I'd like to repeat my little idea: could you extend the crash reporter in a way that I can copy and paste the crash information into a mail program of my choice? Since I'm running OW all day at work I could produce lots of such reports.

udecker 2014-02-05 09:22 AM

Multiple google accounts

Ken, you’re receiving boatloads of crash reports from me, as I’m trying to break this is every way that I can!

Something I’ve noticed the past few weeks is that I’m having trouble managing my multiple google accounts. I’ve got four, and it likes to pretend that I’m logging into one, only to return me right back to my other account. This occurs even when I log out completely of google, and try to log back in. The login screens say the account I’m trying to log into, but once I do “log in,” it actually puts me into another one of the four.

I tried deleting all google cookies and starting from scratch, but as soon as I have more than one google account set up with logins, it confuses which one I’m logged into. (I wonder if I’ve got a background tab logged in as the wrong account, and the background refreshes keep that session active instead?)

It’s not causing a crash, so I’m posting it here in case anyone else has experienced something similar.

Keep up the great work! OW6 is awesome, and will only get better.

udecker 2014-02-17 12:14 PM

bad SSL cert causes page not to load

One of our test sites:
[url]https://omniwallet.labs.engine.co/[/url]
has an invalid SSL cert. In firefox, it allows you to bypass the issue/warning, but in OW builds, you get “resource unavailable” with no way around it.

YoshiDan 2014-02-19 07:55 PM

Giving the latest build a whirl. Heaps better than the last build I tried and seems usable as a main browser now. I’m committing myself to trying it out as my full time browser for a week. So far I haven’t had a crash, awesome!

I’ve been having to use Chrome on my work Mac since I updated to Mavericks and it’s been horrible not having OmniWeb :(. Still running OW5 on Mountain Lion on my home computers. Holding out from updating them to Mavericks until OW6 is finished, I can’t live without OW. Thank you so much for these updates!

udecker 2014-03-02 12:25 PM

new flash update

After installing the most recent Flash update, I am getting “Blocked Plug-in” for all flash content, and the bundle doesn’t seem to have loaded (not in my Plug-ins list). Any ideas?

Patou 2014-03-08 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=Drayon;128843]I can confirm the following fix:

URL with query but no path — Fixed a bug where URLs with a query but no path (e.g. “magnet:?xt=") would get parsed into a URL with an empty path (e.g. “magnet:/?xt=")

Fantastic, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

Since the magnet link has been fixed, I thought I asked about another torrent related issues.

Searching in thepiratebay seems broken.

If I search for a single word like "colbert" in the search field it works correctly and I get this in the address bar:
[url]http://example.com/search/colbert/0/99/0[/url]

But if I search for multiple words like "colbert report" it doesn’t anymore and I get this with a no resource available response:

[url]http://example.com/s/?q=colbert+report&category=0&page=0&orderby=99[/url]

In order to work properly I need to type manually the correct URL in the address bar:

[url]http://example.com/search/colbert%20report/0/99/0[/url]

It used to work but sometime in the beta builds it stopped, but I don’t have the issue with Safari. I don’t know if it is just related to this one site.

Thanks!

TimmyDee 2014-03-10 09:47 AM

In the last few builds, Crash Catcher hasn't been able to catch any crashes (quits after posting a simple dialog box).

hhm 2014-03-19 10:42 AM

First of all thank you for the effort, Ken.

Since Monday I’m running 10.9.2 on my iMac, upgraded from 10.6.8. Having OmniWeb after the update was what tipped the scale to upgrade.

So far I’m missing some of the features that make OmniWeb my first choice in browsers since my switch to Mac OS X with the public Beta.
- URL filtering does no seem to work properly
- stopping animations does not work for me at all
- I’m really missing the web inspector (I do websites)
- when I click on a link to open it in another window or tab sometimes the context menu shows ‘Copy’ and ‘Start Speaking’ as the first two entries and that is annoying

Hans

Mr.EMan 2014-03-24 04:04 AM

Proxy

I still can't get on proxies using the current beta OmniWeb. That last version that worked for me was r199736.

jwthomas 2014-03-27 10:09 PM

Just noting for the record that I haven’t had any crashes at all for several weeks. I don’t know what the updates during that period have been correcting but everything seems fine except for the plugins, the
override page styes function and the missing favicons. I’m sure there are all kinds of problems still needing a fix but OW is still working for me.

mbert 2014-03-28 06:36 AM

I can't confirm this. Still experiencing crashes of varying frequency.

Ken Case 2014-03-28 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=mbert;130007]I can't confirm this. Still experiencing crashes of varying frequency.[/QUOTE]

The same crash in Apple's frameworks which I was trying to track down in December is still there, unless they've fixed it in the OS. Which I don't think they have, since I just got another one this morning. :) But its frequency can be quite variable: sometimes I'll go for weeks without crashing, but other times I'll crash three times in an hour.

I think the only way for me to work around that crash is to write a replacement for that whole module of Apple's code, but I'm not going to have time to do that until my next vacation.

Tesseract 2014-04-09 08:48 PM

Filling usernames and passwords from the keychain seems to have broken sometime in the last few builds.

Mr.EMan 2014-05-07 07:45 PM

Rendering

Most of the recent builds in the last couple of weeks seems to have de-volved for me. Rendering certain sites are just a mess. Examples for me include:

[url]http://www.accuweather.com/[/url]

as well as many pages in amazon.com, like this one:

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399520514&sr=1-5”]Sandisk Flashdrive[/URL]

These all look fine in v5.11.

Ken Case 2014-05-11 04:53 AM

[QUOTE=Mr.EMan;130326]Most of the recent builds in the last couple of weeks seems to have de-volved for me. Rendering certain sites are just a mess. Examples for me include:

[url]http://www.accuweather.com/[/url]

as well as many pages in amazon.com, like this one:

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399520514&sr=1-5”]Sandisk Flashdrive[/URL]

These all look fine in v5.11.[/QUOTE]

This should be fixed in the next build (r209434 or later).

Ken Case 2014-05-11 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=Tesseract;130124]Filling usernames and passwords from the keychain seems to have broken sometime in the last few builds.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be working fine for me in the current build—assuming OmniWeb has access to the keychain entries in question.

A couple things you might try are quitting and restarting the app, and opening a keychain entry that isn't working in Keychain Access where you can double-check its Access Control settings to ensure that OmniWeb 6 is allowed to use that entry.

mbert 2014-05-11 10:51 AM

Ken, I assume that new builds are only created and added to the staging area if there were some changes in the VCS, is that correct? If yes, this would mean that OW6 receives frequent code changes (even if they'll probably be small) - or am I misjudging my observations here?

Mr.EMan 2014-05-11 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;130345]This should be fixed in the next build (r209434 or later).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Fixed in r209437.

Ken Case 2014-05-11 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=mbert;130352]Ken, I assume that new builds are only created and added to the staging area if there were some changes in the VCS, is that correct? If yes, this would mean that OW6 receives frequent code changes (even if they'll probably be small) - or am I misjudging my observations here?[/QUOTE]

Well, yes and no.

Yes, OmniWeb 6 only builds when code it uses changes. However, it shares a lot of framework code with our other apps, so most of its builds are triggered by framework changes that don't affect OmniWeb's core functionality (or help with its core issues).

Whenever I touch the OmniWeb code base itself, I try to add an entry to the change log so you'll know what's new. So until today, there hadn't been any interesting changes to OmniWeb itself since last December (even though there have obviously been quite a few builds happening in that time).

Ken Case 2014-05-11 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;128870]Based on the crash reports, it looks like this is the same crash in the caching code of Apple's frameworks which I've been trying to track down for a while. I was hoping that the changes I made last night for the r201285 build would help, but I've already seen a few crash reports in the same place.[/QUOTE]

Today (in r209448), I may have [I]finally[/I] tracked down the crash in _CFURLResponseCreateCopy(). Then again, it's never been easy to reproduce on demand so it's hard to know for sure until we try this fix for a few days and see whether any more crashes in that location get reported. (Thank you for sending in those crash reports!)

mbert 2014-05-17 03:47 AM

So far no crashes for me. Just out of interest - whose bug was it in the end? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, both Google Chrome and Safari use the same piece of code, don't they?

I'm happy now to see that OW does not crash anymore. Thus there may be some hope that some fine tuning and polishing can take place now? Loading speed is still a bit of an issue, in particular when loading large workspaces (and unfortunately little feedback is given telling me that OW is still in the process of loading a page).

Did I mention that I'd be willing to pay $100 for an OW license if it should go commercial again?