The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   "Flagged"- filtering (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6286)

HERMAN 2007-12-15 02:35 AM

"Flagged"- filtering

I have a question about the "flagged" option in the filters.

Does it work properly for any of you?

In build 96125 I'm currently running, either in Planning or in Context mode, the Flagged filter (I have Ungrouped > Flagged > All) lists both flagged and unflagged tasks. Those that are flagged appear nowhere on top - it is as if the "flagged" filter doesn't work.

Thanks.

nggalai 2007-12-15 02:44 AM

Hi Herman,

just out of curiosity –*do you mean with “flagged –*All” that you set the filter to the far right to show “All”? If yes, naturally all actions will be listed, flagged or unflagged.

To only show flagged actions, the filter must be set to “flagged”. This filter setting works properly here with the latest OF build, in case that’s what you meant.

Cheers,
-Sascha

HERMAN 2007-12-15 03:29 AM

Hi Sascha,
oh sorry I should have been more explicit - I meant the "second" or "sorting" filter that has "Flagged" as an option, and I don't really find out what could be its purpose.

Indeed, the rightmost folder correctly does what it's meant to do, but the "sorting filter" (second from left) is a bit strange: if it doesn't do anything else than the Flag filter on the right, then it might perhaps best be abandoned.

But I wonder if anyone has found a purpose for that one - regardless of how the other filter (the real "Flag filter") is set.

Thanks.

nggalai 2007-12-15 05:14 AM

Ah, now I get you. Thanks for the clarification!

Sorting doesn’t seem to work here, either. “Due”, for example, doesn’t to anything for me in my single action list, too, “flagged” naturally also. I guess it’s not implemented yet or a regression?

Cheers,
-Sascha

pvonk 2007-12-15 06:44 AM

The *sorting* flag filter sorts on whether an action is flagged or not. In my OF (6125), the flagged items appear first, following by non-flagged items. To me, that's what a sort of this type should do.

HERMAN 2007-12-15 07:20 AM

I agree - that's what it should do. Only: it doesn't do that in my case.

In Planning mode, I have the grouping filter set to ungrouped, the sorting filter set to flagged, the action filter set to "All" and the time and flag filters set to all as well.

Well: my firstmost project is one with a flagged item (so far so good - almost), but then I have 14 projects without any flags; the 15th is again one with flags. Yet the flags aren't the firstmost actions given in the list (nor is the the list sorted on due dates): in the first and the 17th project list first unflagged items, and the flagged ones appear later.

curt.clifton 2007-12-15 08:13 AM

Sorting in Planning Mode is [B]only[/B] at the project level. If you flag projects then, they will sort to the top. The flagged status of the contained actions doesn't affect sorting in Planning mode, though actions of a flagged project "inherit" their parent's flag. (Also grouping takes precedence over sorting. But you're using Ungrouped, so that's not an issue here.)

jasong 2007-12-15 08:21 AM

There's an argument to be made that flagging an action in Planning mode should "flag" the project, at least while sorting, the way that flagging an action and showing only flagged items shows the project containing the action.

curt.clifton 2007-12-15 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=jasong;28732]There's an argument to be made that flagging an action in Planning mode should "flag" the project, at least while sorting, the way that flagging an action and showing only flagged items shows the project containing the action.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

This also points out the tension with using alpha/beta software. We're always torn between discussing how to use the software as it now is and discussing how the software should be.

bankomeister 2008-05-30 09:15 AM

flag filter doesn't work

My flag filter doesn't work anymore either. I use the flags to set things to do today, and now when I select to filter to those actions that are flagged, I get a random mix of actions, some flagged, some not. Any ideas? I am running 1.0.2