The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   More context options when right clicking (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4055)

Wallin 2007-07-03 02:10 PM

More context options when right clicking

What I mean by that is it would be great if there were more options with what you could do with text you've highlighted.

The most common examples would be performing a search (preferably using some of the customized searches), go to that url (assuming its a text url), defining the word, etc.

I'm coming from Opera, and this was one of the features that really set it apart. I could double click on any text, have the context menu pop up automatically (I think that would be a useful feature too), and be able to perform any number of searches using that text. Find images of someone, look it up on wikipedia, search newegg for that product, etc.

Also, when browsing forums url's are often not made into links, so the go to url option is handy instead of having to copy the text, select the location box, paste it, and hit enter.

Chiller 2007-07-03 07:06 PM

The Services sub menu takes care of many of these things. Click OmniWeb -> Services, then choose what you want done. The majority of these commands are available with all Cocoa applications. There are pluses and minuses to this method. I have seen screen shots with users Services sub menu goes to the bottom of the page. FWIW, I like it.

JKT 2007-07-03 11:29 PM

Fwiw, there are ways to achieve this with keyboard shortcuts (that isn't to say that having a way to do this in the context menu wouldn't be nice, but in the meantime...):

If you highlight a word and press [B]command-shift-F[/B] it populates the search field in the toolbar with that word or words (the limitation here is that you will need to first select the search engine you want to use prior to populating the field).

Highlighting an URL and pressing [B]command-shift-U[/B] will open the URL in a new tab.

Wallin 2007-07-04 11:06 AM

I'd always wondered what the services menu really was for. I assumed it was a throwback to some old version of MacOS. Guess I was wrong!

I'd still like to see this in a context menu, as I definitely feel that is a much faster way of accessing it, but for now the services menu will do as a workaround. Thanks for the heads up on that, and the keyboard shortcuts.

JKT 2007-07-04 11:27 AM

The Services menu is a throwback to NeXT OS and not the Mac (if you do a YouTube search for Steve Jobs demoing NeXT you'll see how they should work, rather than how they sometimes work in OS X). It is one of the greatest shames of OS X that Apple has not done more to make sure that Services are a great asset to the user rather than some embarrassing forgotten menu item that doesn't seem to have any purpose (for the majority).

Handycam 2007-07-04 12:01 PM

Hey, what's they keyboard command to define the selected word "in place"? I've forgotten it and can't find the info anywhere.

Terry 2007-07-04 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=Handycam]Hey, what's they keyboard command to define the selected word "in place"? I've forgotten it and can't find the info anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Shift-Alt-D

Handycam 2007-07-04 01:56 PM

It' not working here...

JKT 2007-07-04 02:21 PM

Check your Keyboard Shortcut preferences in System Preferences - you might have changed the default to something else, or it is conflicting with another option. Either way, you can change the shortcut to something you can remember.