The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Display day of the week as well as or in place of numerical date? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18521)

Hokie 2010-10-13 10:15 AM

Display day of the week as well as or in place of numerical date?

Sorry if this can already easily be done or has been answered previously, I searched and couldn't find anything.

Anyway, as a student OF has been great, but one thing that I'm constantly doing which has becoming a pest to me for my study-related tasks is having to click on my calendar to see what day of the week some of my due dates are (i.e., "alright, test is on the 18th, is that monday or tuesday?" "have a meeting next thursday, is that the same day as my paper due on the 21st?")

So my question is, is there any way I can have the day of the week displayed alongside or replacing the numerical date, at least for where the due date is displayed, much less anywhere else in the program where dates might be displayed? It's just hassling to look at everything I have due in a list, but having absolutely no idea what days they actually are until I have to check the calendar to look them up, and if it's a long list I'm trying to organize in my head for a quick moment then it's absolutely hopeless for me to have an idea of a glance at my week. That glance turns into a matching game I have to play.

A little thing, but irks me as a big deal. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

whpalmer4 2010-10-13 11:33 AM

One thing you can do is to go to the Language & Text system preferences and configure your short date format to include the day of the week (probably in the shortened version). Then instead of OmniFocus showing you 10/18/10 in the date column, you would see Mon 10/18/10. Unfortunately, this will affect other applications that use the short date format as well, and that may not be desirable. You'll need to restart OmniFocus after changing the system date formatting preferences before it will have any effect.

Another thing worth noting is that if you hover the mouse cursor over a date field, you'll get a little calendar icon which you can click to pick a date, or just see the calendar without having to switch applications. Click the icon again to dismiss the calendar without making a change.

Hokie 2010-10-13 11:52 AM

Thank you, whpalmer! I didn't note that it was the OF calendar I was referring to have to click on, I wasn't using a different program or anything.

But it looks like this was just an issue with my computer settings, not OF. I did what you said and accomplished exactly what I wanted to, thanks so much!

The only thing is the day of the week runs with the number without a space, whether I preference it in front or after the numerical date (i.e., Wed11/13/10 OR 11/13/10Wed). It doesn't look great, and I have to extend the start/due rows out so it doesn't hang down a line incompletely, but it does what I needed it to do so that's all I need!

Thanks again, problem solved!

whpalmer4 2010-10-13 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Hokie;87375]The only thing is the day of the week runs with the number without a space, whether I preference it in front or after the numerical date (i.e., Wed11/13/10 OR 11/13/10Wed). It doesn't look great, and I have to extend the start/due rows out so it doesn't hang down a line incompletely, but it does what I needed it to do so that's all I need!
[/QUOTE]
Just stick a space in the format schema between the day of week oval and the others...

ambitions2o 2010-10-17 02:53 PM

Thanks whpalmer. I end up changing this feature on my own Mac and am happy I found this thread. Appreciate it.

skillet 2011-06-30 08:45 AM

Yes, thank you whpalmer this was frustrating me as well and this was the only thread I could find about this. So much better now, it is very nice that you can customize it to your liking so much.

Also thanks for post 5 here on adding the day.
[url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7690[/url]