The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Need Support for Multiple Files (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13681)

RobertF57 2009-09-03 07:22 AM

Need Support for Multiple Files

I know this is an older topic but OF really needs to provide support for multiple files (or at least two, one for home and one for work). I understand why the developers have decided not to do this but here's my rationale. I've just been given a MacBook to use at work and I'd like to use OF to manage my projects. However, I don't want my personal information residing on a company computer and OF won't let me set up a separate file just for work use. As a result, I'm now going to have to use CultureCode's "Things" application instead of OmniFocus so that I can keep my personal and work information separate.

OmniGroup... please reconsider adding this feature.

Thank you.

whpalmer4 2009-09-03 07:32 AM

How is Things going to help you keep your personal data off the company computer?

RobertF57 2009-09-03 07:42 AM

One More Thing...

In case it wasn't clear, what I'd like to be able to do is have an OF file on my work MacBook that I could copy to a thumbdrive and bring home to work on on my home computer. Ideally, I'd be able to access both files from the iPhone app as well but if I could just use two files on my computers, that would be sufficient.

Thanks.

RobertF57 2009-09-03 07:44 AM

I'll just be using Things as a separate application with its own file that only runs on my work computer. It will only contain work-related information. I may be able to bring that file home and run it on my home computer but I'll essentially be using two different applications that do similar things.

Lucas 2009-09-03 07:47 AM

I think you can, actually. Way way back someone asked the same thing. I remember the response being that they keep the capability in there for development purposes. Have you tried duplicating the database document and opening the copy?

whpalmer4 2009-09-03 08:22 AM

With a little bit of fiddling, you could do this: you could run OF on your work machine, and only put work-related stuff in the database. On your home machine, just set up a separate user account for your work-related stuff, and run OF in there, set to sync via disk so you can use a USB thumb drive (you specify a file on the thumb drive as the sync location). Now you can move back and forth between the work machine and the home machine without commingling your data. You could also use MobileMe or SwissDisk or other webDAV provider to do an online sync -- you just need to specify a different filename than you are using for your home account. With a bit of care, you could even switch the iPhone back and forth syncing to either database, but you would want to be sure to make sure to always force a sync before switching to the other database, or you could lose recent changes made on the iPhone.