The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OmniFocus 1.7 sneaky peeks have begun! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13392)

Ken Case 2009-08-13 07:59 PM

OmniFocus 1.7 sneaky peeks have begun!

[QUOTE]What are sneaky peeks?

Sneaky peeks are our latest (unstable) internal builds. These internal builds are exactly what we see here at Omni: they're just snapshots of our development that are updated every few hours and haven't gone through any sort of vetting process—which means that you might actually be the first person to try a particular build and discover that it eats your system. (We hope that doesn't happen, of course—it would be pretty upsetting if a build were to eat any of our files when we run it—but since we won't have tested the app before giving you access we can't make any guarantees.)

In other words, sneaky peeks aren't for the faint of heart; they're an invitation to come join us on the bleeding edge of our development process.

If this sounds interesting to you, then you're invited to try running our [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/download/sneakypeek/"]sneaky peek builds[/URL]. But if you'd prefer to work with something a little less risky, please download the [URL="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/"]latest stable release[/URL] instead.[/QUOTE]

OmniFocus 1.7 focuses on making the app easier to understand, conceptually and visually. We've made many improvements to Perspectives, and added a new interface which lists the attachments in your database.

Perspectives
[LIST][*]We've done an extensive overhaul on Perspectives.[*]Perspectives have received a new configuration window, that lets you control their behavior, and exposes what they can do for you. Hopefully this is much more clear and obvious. To help, we've made all of the default perspectives (Inbox, Projects, Contexts, Due, Flagged and Review) editable (don't worry, you can revert them to their default settings!) so you can adjust these defaults how you want them, assign new images and keyboard shortcuts to them. And, of course, you can still configure your own custom perspectives.[*]Perspectives are also now synced between your desktop copies of OmniFocus (we're looking into supporting them on the iPhone).[*]Perspectives are no longer stored as files on the disk, but you can open a perspective from a URL using a syntax like: [URL="omnifocus:///perspective/Inbox"]omnifocus:///perspective/Inbox[/URL][/LIST]
Attachments
[LIST][*]Storing large files in your OmniFocus database can cause slow syncing, and sometimes files that you didn't mean to attach can get into your database. We've added an Attachment List to the Window menu, for finding and deleting attachments.[*]An attachment's name is now displayed underneath its icon.[*]Pasting an image from another application will now prefer to use PDF, PNG, or TIFF from the pasteboard over other image types (such as JPEG or PICT).[/LIST]
Repeat Inspector
[LIST][*]We've redesigned the repeat inspector to be more specific about whether a task becomes due [n] days after completion, or just starts to become available again.[/LIST]
General Friendliness
[LIST][*]We've tried to simplify the first launch experience for new users.[*]Users who are using an unlicensed version should just see a reminder in the window, and not have lots of windows pop up while running during the trial period.[*]We've made some visual improvements, updating the default theme in Style Preferences to use Lucida Grande, include more whitespace between rows, and so on. If you would like to try the new theme, open Style Preferences and click on the Reset button to reset all the settings to the new default. (You might want to first use the gear menu above that Reset button to save your existing theme, in case you ever want to easily restore to your old settings.)[*]We've made the update process smoother, with a number of software update fixes.[*]Since the software update window already shows you release notes for the version you're downloading, we've stopped automatically popping up a separate Message of the Day window when you first launch a new version. (You can also continue to access these Release Notes through the Help menu.)[/LIST]
Interface Improvements
[LIST][*]Command-N will now open the Quick Entry window rather than opening a new OmniFocus document window. To open a new OmniFocus window, use Option-Command-N (like Mail), or double-click a project or folder or task to open a window focused on that item.[*]When your database is out of sync, you will be presented with a much simpler window which asks you whether you want to replace your local database with the sync database or not (rather than asking you to choose between Server or Local). If you actually want to replace the sync database with the current database from your local copy of OmniFocus, then there is a new choice in the File menu to Replace Server Database.[*]OmniFocus 1.7 has a new look for the View Bar (to control your filters, collation and sorting) and for column headers.[*]The View Bar's highlighting has also undergone some changes. When you change a setting (Filter, Sorting, Collation) to be different from the default state, it will turn blue. Before this wasn't consistent as we would color the text based on your active perspective. That was too confusing, so now we always color when you're different from the default state.[*]The View Bar now has labels that are always visible to make it more obvious which settings are which.[*]With a setting in General Preferences, new windows can now be opened with the last-used view settings, or with a specific perspective.[*]OmniFocus automatically detects when you have lots of completed actions and asks whether you want to archive them, which will speed up your syncing and loading times.[*]By default OmniFocus will display "Yesterday" "Today" and "Tomorrow" instead of their respective dates.[/LIST]
Experimental Features
[LIST][*]In addition to "Yesterday", "Today" and "Tomorrow" you can have date cells show the time. Since this feature is still experimental there isn't a preference interface for it yet, but here are some commands you can enter into Terminal to adjust the built-in settings:[LIST][*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterShowTime YES[*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDefaultWantsTruncatedTime YES[*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterUseRelativeDayNames YES[*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle medium[/LIST][*]We've also redone how the Due Soon/Overdue Badges look. But we've also added some options that you can play with. You can now have the badges show the traditional number, or just show a dot, if you just want to know that you have some, but don't care specifically how many. In addition you can enable badges for showing the number of Available actions (which is helpful for seeing what Projects should be marked complete, and which Contexts have no actions)[LIST][*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus <InboxBadge, AvailableBadge, DunSoonBadge, OverdueBadge> <none, dot, count>[*]So to enable dots for Available Actions:[LIST][*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge dot[/LIST][/LIST][/LIST]
Snow Leopard compatibility
[LIST][*]OmniFocus 1.7 will be fully compatible with Snow Leopard (Mac OS X v10.6), while maintaining compatibility with both Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5).[/LIST]
Planned for 1.7, but not finished yet
[LIST][*]Publishing due task reminders to web calendars (like OmniFocus for iPhone 1.5.2 does already).[*]Updates to the screenshots in the online help.[*]Updates to the welcome document for new users.[*]Fixing bugs in the new attachments interface.[/LIST]

Pablofp 2009-08-14 01:01 AM

What happened to old perspectives?

It seems I've lost them in the transition. Any way to recover them?

Greg Jones 2009-08-14 01:16 AM

There is a lot to like about 1.7 thus far, but recreating all my old perspectives and my toolbar settings is not what I expected to be doing first thing this morning!

[QUOTE=Ken Case;64538][LIST][*]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle medium[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Before I muck with this setting, what is the command to revert back to the default?

jasong 2009-08-14 01:32 AM

Should we feel (beta-level) comfortable running 1.7 on one machine, 1.6 on another, plus the iPhone app?

newguy 2009-08-14 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=Pablofp;64547]It seems I've lost them in the transition. Any way to recover them?[/QUOTE]

When I upgraded, I lost all my perspectives as well. According to Ken on twitter, they should have only been lost on the toolbar but should still have been available in the menu.

I therefore simply reverted back to 1.6.1 and that worked file. All perspectives were back.

Lutin 2009-08-14 02:54 AM

Lost perspectives as well.
I will recreate them, the new editor seems much nicer.

I used the "Attachement List", and removed all files. I had a 3Mb pdf file.
Now, OmniFocus on iPhone opens in a few seconds (it would take up to 40 seconds before).
Thank you :-)

I like the new dot badges.
Here is how I am using them:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus DueSoonBadge dot
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus InboxBadge dot
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge count
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus OverdueBadge count

Will have to see over time how convenient it is to have the number of available tasks in front of every project.

Cheers,

--
Guillaume
[url]http://www.macmation.com/TimeBoxed[/url]

villan 2009-08-14 03:54 AM

It was worth installing just for the attachment list. :)

Greg Jones 2009-08-14 04:15 AM

[QUOTE=newguy;64559]When I upgraded, I lost all my perspectives as well. According to Ken on twitter, they should have only been lost on the toolbar but should still have been available in the menu.
[/QUOTE]

That was my experience also. My ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives folder was empty after the update. Instead of rolling back to 1.6.1, I restored the Perspectives folder from yesterday's Time Machine backup, and now the old perspectives are again back in the menu with SP 1.7. They are not, as you mentioned, in the toolbar but that's easy enough to fix.

Edited to update: Now they are gone again! I suppose I should try to put them back in once again and edit them immediately, but SP 1.7 is doing something to purge the Perspectives folder at some point after it launches.

Greg Jones 2009-08-14 04:55 AM

Attachments now include the document name! I still much prefer how OmniOutliner Pro works with attachments, but the addition of the document name in OF is a welcome addition-thanks!

CVN 2009-08-14 05:29 AM

Perspectives:
- It seems like I have lost the possibillity to have the sidebar open in one perspective, and closed in another.

Ken Case 2009-08-14 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;64572]That was my experience also. My ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives folder was empty after the update. Instead of rolling back to 1.6.1, I restored the Perspectives folder from yesterday's Time Machine backup, and now the old perspectives are again back in the menu with SP 1.7. They are not, as you mentioned, in the toolbar but that's easy enough to fix.

Edited to update: Now they are gone again! I suppose I should try to put them back in once again and edit them immediately, but SP 1.7 is doing something to purge the Perspectives folder at some point after it launches.[/QUOTE]

OmniFocus 1.7 is [B]supposed[/B] to import your 1.6 perspectives once, then create a small hidden ".loaded" file so it knows not to do it again (unless you intentionally remove that file to reimport them) and never touch your Perspectives folder ever again.

I just tested with a new user account, and that all seemed to work just fine… but then I went to check my own Perspectives folder, and I see it has also gone missing! So there's definitely a bug somewhere in the sneaky peek, and we'll try to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.

Any help anyone can provide on reproducing this would be great—since, as I mentioned, I wasn't able to reproduce it with a new account (and I'm not sure exactly when my own folder went missing).

curt.clifton 2009-08-14 05:41 AM

Lost my perspectives as well. Also lost all toolbar settings; it was loaded with custom perspectives and scripts. Reverting to 1.6.1 to take a snapshot of my toolbar so I can reconfigure it in 1.7.

curt.clifton 2009-08-14 05:54 AM

It's Sync Related

If I launch OF 1.7 with syncing enabled, then the old Perspectives files are deleted. If I turn off syncing, quit OF 1.7, restore my Perspectives files from backup, and relaunch, then my custom perspectives are loaded into OF 1.7.

After that I turned syncing back on and forced a sync. The perspectives remained. (Though I seem to have lost all my custom perspective icons. I'll file that one with the ninjas.)

Ken Case 2009-08-14 06:02 AM

Ah ha! Thank you for that insight, Curt, I'll turn on syncing on my test account and try to reproduce this again.

Ken Case 2009-08-14 07:07 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;64583]Ah ha! Thank you for that insight, Curt, I'll turn on syncing on my test account and try to reproduce this again.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I'm still having no luck reproducing the problem. Any other clues?

curt.clifton 2009-08-14 07:10 AM

My experience was that having syncing enabled only destroyed the perspectives on first launch of OF 1.7. I've been able to relaunch 1.7 since then with syncing on and my perspectives have stayed put.

Ken Case 2009-08-14 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;64549]There is a lot to like about 1.7 thus far, but recreating all my old perspectives and my toolbar settings is not what I expected to be doing first thing this morning![/QUOTE]

Sorry, it's not what we expected either! (I've been trying to figure this out since 6:30am and still haven't had any luck…)

[QUOTE]Before I muck with this setting, what is the command to revert back to the default?[/QUOTE]

You can reset any hidden setting to its default by removing it, like so:

[CODE]defaults remove com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle[/CODE]

Hope this helps!

Greg Jones 2009-08-14 07:55 AM

Ken, I don't know if this will help at all, but here is where I am at this point:

1) I reloaded 1.6.1, the entire ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder and sub-folders, and the 1.6.1 preference file, all from yesterday's TM backup.

2) I launched 1.6.1 and turned off syncing to MobileMe.

3) I installed the 1.7 SP, version ...7151 release and re-enabled MobileMe sync.

4) Now I have my perspectives back, and they remain in the menu and the old ones from 1.6.1 remain in the application support folder. New perspectives created in the SP do not (as expected) get created in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives.

So, all is working as expected, but I cannot say what step, or steps, above made a difference.

One problem that I am seeing with perspectives is that an icon assigned to a perspective does not stick between launches-the perspectives reload with the generic icon.

CatOne 2009-08-14 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;64601]

One problem that I am seeing with perspectives is that an icon assigned to a perspective does not stick between launches-the perspectives reload with the generic icon.[/QUOTE]

There's definitely a larger problem with custom icons on perspective; doing a "rebuild library" nukes them as well. I reported it to support.

whpalmer4 2009-08-14 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;64597]Sorry, it's not what we expected either! (I've been trying to figure this out since 6:30am and still haven't had any luck…)
[/QUOTE]
Ken, I can reproduce this at will even with the 117151 version, and am happy to provide access to a system if that would help.

xmas 2009-08-14 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;64549]There is a lot to like about 1.7 thus far, but recreating all my old perspectives and my toolbar settings is not what I expected to be doing first thing this morning!

Before I muck with this setting, what is the command to revert back to the default?[/QUOTE]

as Ken mentioned you can do:

[CODE]defaults remove com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle
[/CODE]

you can also set the style to "long", or, "short" (which is the default).

xmas 2009-08-14 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=Lutin;64570]
I like the new dot badges.
Here is how I am using them:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus DueSoonBadge dot
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus InboxBadge dot
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge count
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus OverdueBadge count

Will have to see over time how convenient it is to have the number of available tasks in front of every project.
[/QUOTE]

The gain for me was turning on the available badges and being able to see which of my projects had no actions and needed to be dealt with. Glad you like the feature.

Ken Case 2009-08-14 08:55 AM

I just reproduced the perspective deleting issue in last night's build, and found the code which causes the problem.

Meanwhile, good news! It looks like the changes I made this morning to stop trying to keep the 1.6 perspectives directory up-to-date prevent the bug from wiping out your 1.6 perspectives. Now, they simply fail to import to 1.7 (but you can get 1.7 to try again by removing the .loaded file, at which point they should start working again).

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

CatOne 2009-08-14 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;64618]I just reproduced the perspective deleting issue in last night's build, and found the code which causes the problem.

Meanwhile, good news! It looks like the changes I made this morning to stop trying to keep the 1.6 perspectives directory up-to-date prevent the bug from wiping out your 1.6 perspectives. Now, they simply fail to import to 1.7 (but you can get 1.7 to try again by removing the .loaded file, at which point they should start working again).

Thanks for your patience, everyone![/QUOTE]

Info on how to get them back would be welcome ;-)

Ken Case 2009-08-14 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=CatOne;64621]Info on how to get them back would be welcome ;-)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the only way to get them back is to recreate them or restore them from a backup.

slkesq 2009-08-14 12:29 PM

Omni 1.7

Like the look & feel. Is there a way to change the due dates of multiple items in a batch kind of way?

Update: WooHOO!!! Found a way highlight multiple tasks and then change the date through the inspector ... Great for those of us who hate to have overdue items and also good in planning to limit down the daily items to what is accomplish-able ....Thanks for this very nice addition!

dave256 2009-08-14 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;64618]I just reproduced the perspective deleting issue in last night's build, and found the code which causes the problem.

Just to be clear - for someone who hasn't gotten around to downloading the 1.7 sneaky peek yet, will it work correctly now if I download the latest version and try it for the first time? Perspective syncing is a feature I've been waiting for.

And yes, I realize sneeky peek's could potentially eat my data - I've used them in the past.

Thanks,
Dave

dave256 2009-08-14 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=slkesq;64634]Like the look & feel. Is there a way to change the due dates of multiple items in a batch kind of way?

Update: WooHOO!!! Found a way highlight multiple tasks and then change the date through the inspector ... Great for those of us who hate to have overdue items and also good in planning to limit down the daily items to what is accomplish-able ....Thanks for this very nice addition![/QUOTE]

I think this has been there for quite some time (i.e., not new to version 1.7).

Dave

Ken Case 2009-08-14 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=dave256;64636]Just to be clear - for someone who hasn't gotten around to downloading the 1.7 sneaky peek yet, will it work correctly now if I download the latest version and try it for the first time? Perspective syncing is a feature I've been waiting for.[/QUOTE]

It will no longer delete your old perspectives on any of your Macs.

It should import old perspectives from every Mac, but at the moment I think it might only import them from the first one you upgrade.

OmniFocus 1.7 is completely compatible with the current iPhone release (v1.5.2), but not with the current release of 1.6 (which is from a much older code base). We intended for it to be, and it was until very recently when we finally implemented the ability to sync perspectives' custom icons—at which point 1.6 could no longer understand what those image attachments were doing in the database, and started crashing when it encountered them. We could theoretically go back and try to add some perspective image syncing logic to 1.6, but we think it makes more sense to focus our attention on finishing 1.7 as long as we can do that quickly enough. (If you do need to go back to 1.6, you might be able to manage that by switching your perspectives to use built-in icons rather than your own custom icons.)

refulgentis 2009-08-14 01:30 PM

*love* the new look and feel -- definitely an improvement. My only question is about the Available counts -- they seem to be really remaining counts, in the sense that actions in a sequential project are all counted.

Ex. if I have a project to read a book, split into 20 actions, then 20 actions are listed as Available by the new function, while if I use the view bar to limit status to only Available while in context, only the first action would be shown as available.

Thanks for allowing us to have the window into your dev process.

xmas 2009-08-14 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=refulgentis;64639]*love* the new look and feel -- definitely an improvement. My only question is about the Available counts -- they seem to be really remaining counts, in the sense that actions in a sequential project are all counted.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's really Remaining.

Of course if was actually Available it'd always just say "1", which might be misleading for how much effort is really remaining on that project.

gdevore 2009-08-14 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=xmas;64641]Yeah, it's really Remaining.

Of course if was actually Available it'd always just say "1", which might be misleading for how much effort is really remaining on that project.[/QUOTE]

I set defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge count but I am only seeing "1" next to all of my projects. Doesn't seem to be counting remaining, just available.

xmas 2009-08-14 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=gdevore;64647]I set defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus AvailableBadge count but I am only seeing "1" next to all of my projects. Doesn't seem to be counting remaining, just available.[/QUOTE]

There is a reason this is still in the "experimental" section :)

Do you think having it show Available or Remaining makes more sense? (Regardless of what its doing now)

gdevore 2009-08-15 08:49 AM

Available for sequential projects is really kind of pointless. It can only show at the max 1 which gives you no sense as to how much work is left on a project. If you are trying to show wether a sequential project has any available actions in it then some other sort of visual display might be more appropriate (a green icon, maybe a different color for the background of the project in the list, I don't know). But have a number 1 there doesn't seem to really make sense. It gives the impression that there is just one more thing to do.

You really have to ask, what is it you want to communicate?

1. How much work is left on a project, or
2. Does this project have an action that is available right now?

Both things would be really useful but they are very different pieces of information.

What would be really great is to filter the project list so only those projects with available actions are displayed. Then I can just focus on what I can do now, instead of seeing projects that can't currently work on because they don't have an available action.

BTW - right now there is no live updating of this number. If I go in and add a new action to a project that has no available actions the number doesn't appear to the right. I have to refresh the project list somehow to get it to show up.

Toadling 2009-08-15 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=gdevore;64704]What would be really great is to filter the project list so only those projects with available actions are displayed. Then I can just focus on what I can do now, instead of seeing projects that can't currently work on because they don't have an available action.[/QUOTE]

Can't this be achieved by setting the view bar's project list filter (i.e. the menu above the sidebar) to available? I'm not in front of my Mac right now to verify.

-Dennis

refulgentis 2009-08-15 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=xmas;64661]There is a reason this is still in the "experimental" section :)

Do you think having it show Available or Remaining makes more sense? (Regardless of what its doing now)[/QUOTE]
My $2*10^-2: available makes sense in context mode, as it provides a good direction when you're choosing a context to work in. 6 things in my Errand context available? Maybe I should head out. 10 things to do on the internet? Stay on the computer. 4 things in reading? Time to hit the books.

There's definitely a good point that remaining makes more sense in project mode.

BevvyB 2009-08-17 03:34 AM

Big problems with sneaky peek

Apart from all perspectives vanishing (I can live with that)

Was doing some stuff and OF got stuck on my flagged perspective. I could click on all the other perspectives in the toolbar but it just wouldn't budge. Had to reboot.

Also

Just tried dragging an item into a parent to create a sub list - it turned it into an attachment / note and underlined it, at the same time underlining almost every single todo in my database, while making the writing smaller. I've just looked through the styles panel and underlined / smaller isn't even an option.

I'm in a complete mess now!

Update: I just clicked 'reset styles' and it put it back to normal. Weird.

whpalmer4 2009-08-17 07:19 AM

I found that the perspectives buttons in the toolbar don't work for me in 1.7, but going to the menu did -- it just seemed like I was stuck because the Inbox, Due, Flagged, etc. buttons didn't do anything.

Greg Jones 2009-08-17 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;64772]I found that the perspectives buttons in the toolbar don't work for me in 1.7, but going to the menu did -- it just seemed like I was stuck because the Inbox, Due, Flagged, etc. buttons didn't do anything.[/QUOTE]

I've had my share of challenges with perspectives and 1.7 (more so with the first 2 SP releases), but I've yet to encounter a problem with perspective buttons in the tool bar. The 5 default perspectives and my custom perspectives have all worked as expected when activated with a toolbar icon.

fwdkfwdkfwdk 2009-08-17 07:13 PM

I am not a big fan of the new fonts. It makes me feel like I am using a Windows program rather than a Mac's :).

What was the original font?

Toadling 2009-08-17 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=fwdkfwdkfwdk;64812]I am not a big fan of the new fonts. It makes me feel like I am using a Windows program rather than a Mac's :).

What was the original font?[/QUOTE]

Heh, OmniFocus' new default font is Lucida Grande, which is [I]Mac OS X's default system font[/I] -- about as far from Windows as you can get. :-)

OmniFocus' previous default font was Helvetica, which also happens to be Mac OS X's default font for "user-editable content." Ken gives a bit of background in this [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?p=64680#post64680"]thread[/URL].

Have you tried adjusting the size of the new default OmniFocus font? Most OS X apps seem to use 11 pt. or 12 pt. Lucida Grande by default (e.g. Finder, Mail, iPhoto, iTunes, iCal, etc).

-Dennis

whpalmer4 2009-08-18 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;64775]I've had my share of challenges with perspectives and 1.7 (more so with the first 2 SP releases), but I've yet to encounter a problem with perspective buttons in the tool bar. The 5 default perspectives and my custom perspectives have all worked as expected when activated with a toolbar icon.[/QUOTE]
I haven't been able to get it into this state again, but it definitely was at the time I filed the report. Clicking on different contexts altered the view as expected, but clicking on Inbox, Due, Flagged, Projects, and Contexts did nothing (so it's unlikely that the problem was with my mouse or clicking technique :-)). I didn't have any personal perspectives in the toolbar at the time, so can't say if they would have behaved any differently. That session I'd been doing nothing but tinkering with perspectives, so it doesn't seem impossible to imagine that I might have triggered some odd corner case.

withnail 2009-08-18 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;64618]try again by removing the .loaded file, at which point they should start working again).

Hey Ken, where is the .loaded file located?

curt.clifton 2009-08-18 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=withnail;64883]Hey Ken, where is the .loaded file located?
[/QUOTE]

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives

It's a hidden file, because of the leading dot, so you have to use Terminal to delete it. (Or some other utility that lets you see hidden files.)

withnail 2009-08-18 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=curt.clifton;64884]~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives

It's a hidden file, because of the leading dot, so you have to use Terminal to delete it. (Or some other utility that lets you see hidden files.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Curt!

sfkeydel 2009-08-18 06:05 PM

Still not grasping the situation with custom perspectives from 1.6.1:

I've installed the latest SP (v77.32.0.117399), and my 1.6.1 custom perspectives are in the Perspectives folder in the Library, although they don't show up in my toolbar as in the past. If I double-click on any of them in the Finder, what appears in OF bears no resemblance to the custom perspective as it appeared in 1.6.1.

I've also tried quitting OF, deleting the '.loaded' file, and then relaunching 1.7, but this doesn't change anything, other than recreating the '.loaded' file.

Is this expected behavior?

whpalmer4 2009-08-18 06:34 PM

You need to reinstall them in your toolbar, I believe. Also, the files are no longer used, so double-clicking on them isn't going to do what you want.

jamesez 2009-08-18 07:34 PM

dock badges

As long as you're mucking with badging, would you move the dock badge to the upper-left corner?

I too don't like the change to Lucida Grande + shadow.

Edit: after changing the sidebar to Lucida Grande 11 with no shadow (ie, what Mail uses) it looks okay. The actions list still looks weird to me though.

sfkeydel 2009-08-18 07:36 PM

Just to be sure I understand, where *should* the custom perspectives be (i.e. how can I access them)? I don't see them in the Perspectives menu, in the Customize Toolbar dialogue, or anywhere else.

colicoid 2009-08-19 01:35 AM

When can we expect some more power, such as on-hold etc., to individual actions (the alternative to having sub projects)?

Toadling 2009-08-19 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=colicoid;64900]When can we expect some more power, such as on-hold etc., to individual actions (the alternative to having sub projects)?[/QUOTE]

I believe changes to the state model and the ability to assign state to individual actions are slated for v2.0.

-Dennis

lmsboy 2009-08-27 07:34 AM

When I move the window-seperator between the left and right side and switch the to another perspective (such us from due soon to inbox) and switch then back, the separator lost my change and go back to its initial position -.-

whpalmer4 2009-08-27 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;65338]When I move the window-seperator between the left and right side and switch the to another perspective (such us from due soon to inbox) and switch then back, the separator lost my change and go back to its initial position -.-[/QUOTE]
Did you save the change to the perspective before switching to another one?

lmsboy 2009-08-27 07:49 AM

No, that wasn't needed before in 1.6 - how can I do this?

EDIT: Ok, I found it - thanks a lot!!

BTW: Autosave feature for this was much better in 1.6!

whpalmer4 2009-08-27 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;65340]No, that wasn't needed before in 1.6 - how can I do this?

BTW: Autosave feature for this was much better in 1.6![/QUOTE]

No, I don't believe there was any autosave feature for this; you had to take a snapshot to get the changes to stick for the next time the perspective was opened. Perhaps you were switching to a different window without realizing it, and back to the original window? If the autosave feature you posit existed, what would be the reason for the Take Snapshot of <Perspective> command...?

lmsboy 2009-08-27 02:06 PM

No no.. I just opened OF, change the bar-possition and it were saved!

whpalmer4 2009-08-27 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=lmsboy;65395]No no.. I just opened OF, change the bar-possition and it were saved![/QUOTE]
You're talking about the width of the sidebar, right? That is stored in the Info.plist file inside the <perspectivename>.ofocus-perspective package file in the ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives directory. There's a property in there called sidebarWidth. In my copy of 1.6.1, that file is not altered if one simply changes the width of the sidebar in a perspective without taking a snapshot. Now, if you quit the app it will remember the sidebar size in your window (stored in the preferences file) but if you then apply that perspective again, it will use the original sidebar width in the perspective file, which was never changed.