The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   iCal Sync (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Still can't sync with ical (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5912)

snpower 2007-12-01 03:44 AM

I tried resetting sync via the terminal. Still no sync with iCal...

debz0r 2007-12-01 07:10 AM

still skunked

[QUOTE=artwag;27071]I checked the "Publish Blocked Actions" box, restarted and got the same result - nothing went from OF to ical and whatever I had in ical went to OF even if it was already in OF, so I had duplicates.

Waiting to hear if anyone else is still having issues with syncing.[/QUOTE]

I continue to not be able to sync for any practical purpose, now in a mind-bending totally frustrating way. I still can not see anything from OF appear in my iCal. Here's my "progress report":

I have tried experimenting repeatedly with my intel-based Leopard running iMac. As the week progressed, I packed up my bag of paperwork, left the downtown condo and drove out to my home on the coast. The before-departure ritual also includes syncing calendars, contacts and mail to .mac. I telecommute extensively, from two locations. Two homes, three macs and a heavy reliance on .mac to keep everything synced.

Location number two: G5 dualcore Tower. Same current version of Leopard, no intel processor. Bring up the system, sync to .mac. Now discover that every calendar item (added in the usual way - not thru OF) that I synced during the week post-omnifocus install did not sync to .mac. And standing items (monthly board meetings etc) that have worked for several years are screwed up, with extra items on the wrong dates. (I had the same problem with my iPhone but I had JUST updated the iPhone software so assigned blame there, with no time to goof around and figure THAT out.)

But the most bizarre event was this; sync warned me that it had dozens of new items to add, and was I sure I wanted to do this? So I hit the "show detail" button, and I'll be damned if it doesn't display all the OF TTDs I had tried to sync in the first place! Sure, go ahead I say, let's get'm on the iCal. But....when I open iCal, these items STILL do not show, I try searching in the iCal spotlight window, searching in the system spotlight window, still do not show anywhere.

BTW I'd already turned on the "Publish Blocked Actions". And I haven't let my Powerbook be touched by any of this yet, but I may have already screwed up my calendar to the point of no return.

I spent some time at the Kinklesss site; does it look to you that the author plans to abandon kGTD once OF is released?

Wow. This band is more stumped than ever.

hexatron 2007-12-01 10:52 AM

resetting sync in terminal fixed it for me. thanks!

librarymonkey27 2007-12-01 06:59 PM

all of these don't work

and on top of it not working...like others have mentioned, lots of time spent watching the beach ball spin

snpower 2007-12-02 02:35 AM

I reset sync via terminal again and now it appears to be working. Nothing on the Calendar, but everything is on the 'to do' list in iCal. I suppose that is the way it works?

Russ 2007-12-02 05:24 AM

well, mine synces with iCal, but due dates become a day ahead in iCal.. I sync iCal to-do items to my phone and this bug really makes me mad...

PS: I am sure my advise will backfire at me for being so obvious, but anyway here it is: OF won't send anything to iCal until you assign contexts to appropriate calendars in OF's preferences.

librarymonkey27 2007-12-02 06:41 AM

perhaps my bad

so I open the side bar "to do" and there is my OmniFocus tasks

why don't these go into the calendar??

[IMG]http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u202/librarymonkey27/various/omnifocus_28.gif[/IMG]

Ken Case 2007-12-02 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=librarymonkey27;27202]so I open the side bar "to do" and there is my OmniFocus tasks

why don't these go into the calendar??[/QUOTE]

We don't control iCal's interface; they've chosen to present all their "to do" items into a sidebar rather than somewhere on the calendar itself. (We create to do items rather than calendar events, because events have fixed start and end times and our tasks don't: a five-minute task might become available today but be due next Thursday.)

--

Taking a step back, how many people are still having trouble with iCal sync'ing, and what exactly seems to be the trouble? How exactly are you configuring Synchronization Preferences (which contexts are mapped to which calendars, and which checkboxes are set), what happens when you select "Synchronize with iCal" (do you get error messages? does anything appear in your Console log?), and what are you seeing when you look in iCal's to do list for the calendars you're synchronizing against?

Jwheeles 2007-12-02 09:38 AM

I have tried resetting my sync data but OF is still not syncing with iCal. I have set all my contexts to sync with one calender in iCal and I have checked off all the boxes under the iCal tab in the OF preferences. When I click "Syncronize with iCal" nothing changes after the process is completed.

debz0r 2007-12-02 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;27213]We don't control iCal's interface; they've chosen to present all their "to do" items into a sidebar rather than somewhere on the calendar itself. (We create to do items rather than calendar events, because events have fixed start and end times and our tasks don't: a five-minute task might become available today but be due next Thursday.)[/QUOTE]

--

Ken: Taking a step back, how many people are still having trouble with iCal sync'ing, and what exactly seems to be the trouble?
Deb: I am still having trouble. I expect to see my todos appear in the iCal side bar, but they do not show up there or anywhere.

Ken: How exactly are you configuring Synchronization Preferences (which contexts are mapped to which calendars, and which checkboxes are set),
Deb: I have tried this every way I could possibly think of:
1) Started by importing my kinkless GTD contexts. Using the preference window, associated "email" context to "email" Calendar and "calls" context to "calls" calendar and so forth. These calendars already existed from using Kinkless. On checkboxes: Tried at first only checking "When synchronizing, log debugging information to the console" and later tried checking "Publish blocked actions" and then all the rest.
2) Getting nowhere, I threw out the kinkless db and started from scratch, to see if the import was screwing things up. Repeated the entire process with a test set of data from the original OF.

Ken: what happens when you select "Synchronize with iCal" (do you get error messages? does anything appear in your Console log?),
Deb: When I select "Sync with iCal, it appears to be working and displays the message "reading".

Ken: and what are you seeing when you look in iCal's to do list for the calendars you're synchronizing against?
Deb: I only see the todos that were already on the calendar.

I have reported this through the "send feedback" process. I have more detail on my post of Dec 1 at 8:10 a.m. regarding seeing todos go by during a .mac sync process, but still not display on the iCal. I hope this helps.

THANKS very much for checking on this thread. I have been a long time OMNI customer and your products are great.