The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Start/Due time UI (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9243)

devbowman 2008-08-05 09:41 PM

Start/Due time UI

First off, let me say that I am so pleased with these two pieces of software.. I had been looking for something like this for a long time.. sophisticated enough to handle multiple semi-complex personal and business projects and not so complex that I find myself spending all my time building a Gantt chart. Kudos Omni.

Now, I know were all busy people.. but is it really necessary to have the option of scheduling action items' start and due times on a specific MINUTE during an hour? My flicking finger is getting tired :) Maybe just the quarter-hours would be enough? I know it would save me some time and aggravation.

Thanks again,

Dev

MacBerry 2008-08-05 10:28 PM

There was a bit of debate re this [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8656"]here[/URL].

I think the biggest two issues with this are that it insists on having a time at all, and that if you come to edit it it forces you to re-set the time! If I've already set it to 23.59 it should stay at 23.59, unless [SIZE="4"][B]I[/B][/SIZE] decide different, not OF!

BTW, there you have one, possibly the best, argument for having one minute increments - setting due to 23.59 is the only way to tell it you don't care what time it's due, only the date.

Mark

eidehli 2008-08-06 01:09 PM

I strongly recommend using 5 min granularity as default

I strongly recommend using 5 min granularity as default. This is how the Calendar application behaves. 5 min granularity should be (more than) sufficient for all OF users. It is much faster and more convenient to set a desired time in Calendar than i OmniFocus.

mhedstrom 2008-08-07 01:40 PM

I came here to post about this too. I actually don't even want to see a specific time, I'm fine with a date, and it's irritating to me to even have to choose a time. Even for stuff that's due the same day, I normally just change the "am" to "pm", but would rather not even have to do that.

jordanekay 2008-08-07 03:06 PM

Start and due dates definitely need to have a time, but I too would recommend 5-minute granularity. If Apple's calendar application can get away with it, so can OmniFocus.

jimbreen 2008-08-07 09:17 PM

+1 for 5 minute granularity on start and due dates

jbarr 2008-08-08 06:10 AM

I agree with the granularity issue in that it's too fine.

What I'd LOVE to see in addition to the current time selector is simply a few buttons that have preset times (their offsets would be defined through Settings, of course) such as "Today", "Tomorrow", "In 2 days", "Next week", or some such. This would make entry SO much quicker and intuitive.

Simply put, the Date selector is cute, but far from efficient.

JRArseneau 2008-08-10 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=jbarr;44177]I agree with the granularity issue in that it's too fine.

What I'd LOVE to see in addition to the current time selector is simply a few buttons that have preset times (their offsets would be defined through Settings, of course) such as "Today", "Tomorrow", "In 2 days", "Next week", or some such. This would make entry SO much quicker and intuitive.

Simply put, the Date selector is cute, but far from efficient.[/QUOTE]

Love this idea, it's very intuitive to be able to enter things like "tomorrow" or "next tuesday" or "august 20" than scrolling through dates and times.

Maybe I'm used to RTM, but it's incredibly intuitive.

Cike 2008-08-12 09:45 AM

And please allow the wheel spin clicking noise to turn off when keyclick sounds are turned off! :-)

success2be 2008-08-12 10:04 AM

It would to nice to separate the month and day into two separate reels. When I'm trying to schedule something 1 year from now, I have to scroll through every day of every month to next year.

Maybe OF should have a "basic" setting for year, month, day. Then give the user option to enter time on another section.