The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Other WebDAV (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Webdav? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8476)

dr3wster 2008-07-10 11:18 AM

Webdav?

Hey all,
I've been a user of omnifocus since the beginning and I'm going to buy the omnifocus iphone app as soon as I get home from work. But looking through the forums I'm confused as to how useful it will be for me. At the moment I don't have a .mac or .me, and I see that the listed alternative is "any webDAV server". What exactly is a webDAV server, and are there any free servers that I could access? Can I set one up on my home computer? Or am I pretty much SOL :confused:? Thanks!

Edit: after some quick googling I came across iCal exchange: [url]http://www.icalx.com[/url] . It appears to be for publishing your iCal calendars but as far as I can tell it uses webDAV to do so. Can I potentially use this? Sorry I am currently not at my personal computer so I can't really try these things out.

dmcg 2008-07-10 11:49 AM

I've just tried icalx, but the sync fails, with the following in the console:

10/07/2008 20:48:39 OmniFocus[29653] Presenting modal error: {
code = 9;
domain = "com.omnigroup.framework.OmniFoundation";
userInfo = {
NSLocalizedDescription = "Warning encountered while loading XML.";
NSLocalizedFailureReason = "Extra content at the end of the document\n";
"libxml_code" = 5;
"libxml_domain" = 1;
};
}

dr3wster 2008-07-10 11:55 AM

Thanks for the update! After some more looking around it looks like you can use box.net. [url]http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/05/6433/[/url] has how to set it up as a webDAV server. if you try it please keep me posted, thanks!

AquaMethod 2008-07-10 12:10 PM

Tried it, and while both OmniFocus for the iPhone and for the Mac both sync to it, the iPhone app ends up with only the default OmniFocus database (i.e. "Learn more about Getting Things Done").

Lizard 2008-07-10 12:25 PM

dr3wster: If you have a mac, you could enable WebDAV on it. (I don't know the exact steps but I've seen a few likely sets of instructions just by googling.) This will allow for syncing whenever your iPhone and mac are on the same local network. It may even be possible to poke enough holes in your firewall to get to it from the outside world, but that depends a lot on your ISP and might open you up to security problems.

dmcg 2008-07-10 12:26 PM

Good instructions for setting up webdav on your local apache [URL="http://www.timefold.com/osx/tips/webdavical.html"]here[/URL], but I can't get iCal to publish this way, nor OF.

Brian 2008-07-10 12:29 PM

Aqua, if you're using the method in the article that dr3 linked to, you'd want to use the 'disk' sync method, not the WebDAV method.

There are a lot of variables involved in setting up WebDAV with various providers, so it's extremely hard for us to help.

Figuring out how to assist folks that want to avoid paying for MobileMe is definitely on our radar screen, but if your goal is to be ready to go right now and with a minimum of fuss, it's at least worth considering.

AquaMethod 2008-07-10 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;39866]Aqua, if you're using the method in the article that dr3 linked to, you'd want to use the 'disk' sync method, not the WebDAV method.[/QUOTE]

On the Mac version of OmniFocus, I put [url]http://box.net/dav[/url] as the URL for my WebDAV, authenticated, and then pushed the settings out to my iPhone. It picked them up, but the iPhone only has the default OmniFocus database that the Mac version has.

dmcg 2008-07-10 12:42 PM

Same symptoms here. I'd pay for .mac, but mac.com is down for maintenance.

Looking at the files on box.net, there is a folder OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-xxx, but it is staying resolutely empty.

Console says

10/07/2008 21:48:03 OmniFocus[29653] sync started 10/07/2008 21:48:05 OmniFocus[29653] Copying 20 files for a total of 59553 bytes.

but nothing seems to end up on the server except the empty folders, one per sync

jginsbu 2008-07-10 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=AquaMethod;39875]On the Mac version of OmniFocus, I put [url]http://box.net/dav[/url] as the URL for my WebDAV, authenticated, and then pushed the settings out to my iPhone. It picked them up, but the iPhone only has the default OmiFocus database that the Mac version has.[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing something similar, I think. Using a different WebDAV service, OF on the Mac (just updated to the latest build) is claiming to have synced, but all that's on the server are empty folders. I don't have an iPhone yet, so I can't say for sure, but something seems amiss...

jeremydb 2008-07-10 12:52 PM

box.net was running way too slow to do anything useful (so many OF users, I guess...). I shelled out 20$ for a year of Nano at BingoDisk and got it up and running immediately.

jb

dmcg 2008-07-10 01:19 PM

Good call, all up and running, although I had to reset my password before one got sent out. I wonder if MobileMe will be good enough to persuade me...

jginsbu 2008-07-10 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=dmcg;39879]Same symptoms here. I'd pay for .mac, but mac.com is down for maintenance.

Looking at the files on box.net, there is a folder OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-xxx, but it is staying resolutely empty.

Console says

10/07/2008 21:48:03 OmniFocus[29653] sync started 10/07/2008 21:48:05 OmniFocus[29653] Copying 20 files for a total of 59553 bytes.

but nothing seems to end up on the server except the empty folders, one per sync[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm seeing (not with box.net though). I'd really link to know what the problem is. Since I do have access to a WebDAV host, I don't want to have to pay for it somewhere else....

dr3wster 2008-07-10 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=dmcg;39909]Good call, all up and running, although I had to reset my password before one got sent out. I wonder if MobileMe will be good enough to persuade me...[/QUOTE]

What exactly did you get up and running? Did you use Jeremy's bingodisk recommendation?

kidtreo 2008-07-10 02:09 PM

not just a cost issue!

[QUOTE=Brian;39866]Aqua, if you're using the method in the article that dr3 linked to, you'd want to use the 'disk' sync method, not the WebDAV method.

There are a lot of variables involved in setting up WebDAV with various providers, so it's extremely hard for us to help.

Figuring out how to assist folks that want to avoid paying for MobileMe is definitely on our radar screen, but if your goal is to be ready to go right now and with a minimum of fuss, it's at least worth considering.[/QUOTE]

for a system to be trusted it must be rock solid. Not wanting to rely ok apples servers to sync my phone & computer is TOTALLY reasonable - @ I am very dissapointed that OG has been so short sighted regarding this. If I couldn't sync every time .mac has gone down in the past I would not be able to use OF period.

whpalmer4 2008-07-10 02:16 PM

You're right, of course, this was a completely boneheaded design decision to use a standard protocol like WebDAV. Tell you what -- I don't think you should be penalized for buying something so flawed. I'll buy that copy of the OmniFocus iPhone app from you at your cost. PM me for the address where you should mail your iPhone with OmniFocus installed, and I'll send you the $20 today :-)

dmcg 2008-07-10 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=dr3wster;39918]What exactly did you get up and running? Did you use Jeremy's bingodisk recommendation?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Bingodisk does it for me

alackofcolor 2008-07-10 02:37 PM

Working

I got it working on a by following the steps in this post (see Post #5)

[url]http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=80054[/url]

I also used this

[url]http://www.apluskb.com/scripts/How_do_I_create_a_answer2165.html[/url]

to create the .htpasswd file that the first link requires. To connect, I just put the url [url]http://myipaddress/ical[/url] (which is the folder the first link tells you to create, name it whatever). And then that same address into the iPhone app, and it worked perfectly.

kidtreo 2008-07-10 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;39929]You're right, of course, this was a completely boneheaded design decision to use a standard protocol like WebDAV. Tell you what -- I don't think you should be penalized for buying something so flawed. I'll buy that copy of the OmniFocus iPhone app from you at your cost. PM me for the address where you should mail your iPhone with OmniFocus installed, and I'll send you the $20 today :-)[/QUOTE]

Offering web dav as an option = great.

Forcing every user to buy an online service or at best learn how to hack their box = shortsighted and crap usability.

Don't believe me? Watch the posts from n00bs skyrocket about this @ kindly save your patronizing for those without genuine crticism. OF hardly needs another fanboi :)

blewis 2008-07-10 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=kidtreo;39938] Don't believe me? Watch the posts from n00bs skyrocket about this [/QUOTE]

I am, for one, totally fu**cking lost.

$20 later, I'm scrambling all over the interwebs trying to get my OF database onto my iPhone with absolutely _no_ clue what is going on.

Wilkes 2008-07-10 03:00 PM

Embed a webdav server?

It would be nice to embed a minimal webdav server into OF.

dr3wster 2008-07-10 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=alackofcolor;39936]I got it working on a by following the steps in this post (see Post #5)

[url]http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=80054[/url]

I also used this

[url]http://www.apluskb.com/scripts/How_do_I_create_a_answer2165.html[/url]

to create the .htpasswd file that the first link requires. To connect, I just put the url [url]http://myipaddress/ical[/url] (which is the folder the first link tells you to create, name it whatever). And then that same address into the iPhone app, and it worked perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help! I have the webDav setup, when I go to [url]http://myipaddress/ical[/url] I get an index of /ical page which looks good. But OF gives me an error when I try to sync using webdav: The server returned an error 405, "method not allowed". where in OF do you put this address?

Brian 2008-07-10 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=kidtreo;39926]for a system to be trusted it must be rock solid. Not wanting to rely ok apples servers to sync my phone & computer is TOTALLY reasonable - @ I am very dissapointed that OG has been so short sighted regarding this. If I couldn't sync every time .mac has gone down in the past I would not be able to use OF period.[/QUOTE]

We cannot do wired sync. It's not possible; only iTunes has access. WebDAV, either to MobileMe or some other provider, is the only option that we had available.

Lizard 2008-07-10 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=blewis;39940]I am, for one, totally fu**cking lost.

$20 later, I'm scrambling all over the interwebs trying to get my OF database onto my iPhone with absolutely _no_ clue what is going on.[/QUOTE]

Please email [email]omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com[/email] so one of our support ninjas can help you get things going.

alackofcolor 2008-07-10 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=dr3wster;39942]Thanks for the help! I have the webDav setup, when I go to [url]http://myipaddress/ical[/url] I get an index of /ical page which looks good. But OF gives me an error when I try to sync using webdav: The server returned an error 405, "method not allowed". where in OF do you put this address?[/QUOTE]

This is where I put it

[img]http://mt12.quickshareit.com/share/picture121553.png[/img]

Try publishing your iCal calendar to that address as well to make sure things are working. I got the same error you stated when I renamed the folder and changed the addresses from /ical to /WebDav. To get it working again, I had to run the terminal commands the guy lists at the bottom of Post #5 in the first link I posted, I guess to restart apache. Did you run those last three commands?

Wilkes 2008-07-10 05:02 PM

Webdav, the only option?

[QUOTE=Brian;39946]We cannot do wired sync. It's not possible; only iTunes has access. WebDAV, either to MobileMe or some other provider, is the only option that we had available.[/QUOTE]

I think webdav is a good bet. It will be the easiest if MobileMe works out, but it was certainly not your only option.

Is embedding a server really that hard? It may be. I'm not the one responsible for this.

Frankly, Apple should provide access to sync services, but now every developer who wants to sync with a desktop has to reinvent the wheel. :(

jginsbu 2008-07-10 05:05 PM

I'm still not any clearer on why OF (Mac) is syncing to my WebDAV server -- no errors -- but is just leaving empty directories there. As of now there are 10 on the day:
[CODE]OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-bHuqa7MtNL5/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-bT76XIdVwDi/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-bawGH9pYmaX/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-cU_76AFGciF/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-cpub0nfW3er/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-dJBBS45gKal/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-dVWU7otQ4fB/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-fajT7ISdInm/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-fdD9uAVEdl8/
OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-odptvmCdXJN/[/CODE]
Others seem to have had the same experience.

AquaMethod 2008-07-10 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=jginsbu;39976]I'm still not any clearer on why OF (Mac) is syncing to my WebDAV server -- no errors -- but is just leaving empty directories there.
Others seem to have had the same experience.[/QUOTE]

If you carefully watch OmniFocus on your Mac as it "syncs" to WebDAV, you should notice that the progress bar never fills--it just stays empty, until OmniFocus decides that it's successfully synced. Contrast this to doing a sync to disk, and you'll see that even fast syncs fill the progress bar.

For some reason, OmniFocus just isn't finishing its WebDAV syncs. I tried copying a disk-synced file to a WebDAV server, and the iPhone app sees the database, but no data shows up.

ryanpmack 2008-07-10 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=dmcg;39931]Yes, Bingodisk does it for me[/QUOTE]

I'll triple that, got sick of waiting for MobileMe/iDisk to come back to life, and signed up for a $19/year for 10GB of storage at Bingodisk.com and was up and running with Omnifocus between two Macs and an iPhone in a couple minutes.

dr3wster 2008-07-10 05:24 PM

Thanks, I got my own hosted WebDAV working! I used the previously mentioned forum link with the post #5 directions. My troubles were remedied with the following command
[I]"Apple changed the Apache installed in Leopard from 1.x to 2.x. This breaks stuff horribly as the config files are a bit different and you can't simply copy your old one over to the new /etc/apache2/ directory. I used bbedit to diff the two files and merge some stuff, but was still unable to get aliases outside the document root working. Then I came across a hint that suggests a simple fix:
"You will find a Deny from all under <Directory /> (line 177 or alike). Change it to Allow from all."

This fixed the permission errors I was getting for stuff like phpMyAdmin and my iTunes folder which I can access remotely once again.
/cheer"[/I]

Now I'll just wait for the ipod touch software update, I can't wait to test this out!!:)

jginsbu 2008-07-10 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=AquaMethod;39977]If you carefully watch OmniFocus on your Mac as it "syncs" to WebDAV, you should notice that the progress bar never fills--it just stays empty, until OmniFocus decides that it's successfully synced. Contrast this to doing a sync to disk, and you'll see that even fast syncs fill the progress bar.

For some reason, OmniFocus just isn't finishing its WebDAV syncs. I tried copying a disk-synced file to a WebDAV server, and the iPhone app sees the database, but no data shows up.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is exactly what I'm seeing. I don't have any control over the WebDAV server, so I can't rule out it being a problem on that end; but since OF isn't giving any errors, I would guess the problem lies with OF.

blewis 2008-07-10 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Lizard;39948]Please email [email]omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com[/email] so one of our support ninjas can help you get things going.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool of you to offer direct support..... in recent developments.....

OMG VICTORY! I got my webDAV on my machine setup! Synced all items. I did have to restore my OF database on my mac from a backup before everything came together.

Thank god.

On the plus side, I can give myself credit for my weekly continuing education activity of "30 min tech reading" and "30 min working on tools"! Who knew! :]

AquaMethod 2008-07-10 07:06 PM

...huh. Somehow my data just showed up on my iPhone. I'm not sure if MobileMe came up or what. If anyone here is just using WebDAV until MobileMe comes back, you might try iDisk syncing again.

Wilkes 2008-07-11 07:30 AM

Relatively easy instructions

These were the easiest instructions for me to follow [url]http://www.timefold.com/osx/tips/webdavical.html[/url]

There was a syntax problem with the httpd.conf file. The Directory and LimitExcept tags need to be closed. So, it should be
# WebDAV folder
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/dav">
DAV On
AuthName 'WebDAV'
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
<LimitExcept GET HEAD OPTIONS>
require valid-user
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

Hope this helps somebody.

kidtreo 2008-07-11 07:35 AM

I'd never say I told ya so...but...

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=blewis;39940]I am, for one, totally fu**cking lost.

$20 later, I'm scrambling all over the interwebs trying to get my OF database onto my iPhone with absolutely _no_ clue what is going on.[/QUOTE]

kidtreo 2008-07-11 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=Brian;39946]We cannot do wired sync. It's not possible; only iTunes has access. WebDAV, either to MobileMe or some other provider, is the only option that we had available.[/QUOTE]

I understand...thank you for the information. It must be frustrating to be under Apple's thumb about this but (IMHO) if you want iOF to be as easy, reliable and rocking as your other apps are generally considered, some downloadable scripts, or even building web dav into OF or or or something is in order.

Many don't have the knowledge to enable webdav...many more (like me) don't really have the time (I'll probably break down and make some time but...) and many others (like me) don't want to a) pay for .me (or some equivalent) or b) be totally reliant on .me (or some equivalent).

Thank you for trying and good luck overcoming this usability conundrum!

-kidtreo

kidtreo 2008-07-11 07:43 AM

Trusted system indeed....

I don't mean to keep whining about the same thing, but until I get web dav running >locally< on >my< box, I'm not going to be able to trust my system.

This fix is great...until Bingodisk.com goes down the day I need OF most...

[QUOTE=ryanpmack;39978]I'll triple that, got sick of waiting for MobileMe/iDisk to come back to life, and signed up for a $19/year for 10GB of storage at Bingodisk.com and was up and running with Omnifocus between two Macs and an iPhone in a couple minutes.[/QUOTE]

kidtreo 2008-07-11 07:45 AM

Is there no easier way?

I'm dreading figuring this out...how long did it take you to get web dav up? can you post new, clearer instructions please?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=dr3wster;39981]Thanks, I got my own hosted WebDAV working! I used the previously mentioned forum link with the post #5 directions. My troubles were remedied with the following command
[I]"Apple changed the Apache installed in Leopard from 1.x to 2.x. This breaks stuff horribly as the config files are a bit different and you can't simply copy your old one over to the new /etc/apache2/ directory. I used bbedit to diff the two files and merge some stuff, but was still unable to get aliases outside the document root working. Then I came across a hint that suggests a simple fix:
"You will find a Deny from all under <Directory /> (line 177 or alike). Change it to Allow from all."

This fixed the permission errors I was getting for stuff like phpMyAdmin and my iTunes folder which I can access remotely once again.
/cheer"[/I]

Now I'll just wait for the ipod touch software update, I can't wait to test this out!!:)[/QUOTE]

kidtreo 2008-07-11 07:48 AM

Congrats!

[QUOTE=blewis;39993]That's pretty cool of you to offer direct support..... in recent developments.....

OMG VICTORY! I got my webDAV on my machine setup! Synced all items. I did have to restore my OF database on my mac from a backup before everything came together.

Thank god.

On the plus side, I can give myself credit for my weekly continuing education activity of "30 min tech reading" and "30 min working on tools"! Who knew! :][/QUOTE]

Agreed...OG are a great group.

Congratulations! Which instructions did you follow or did you have to contact (call or email?) the support ninjas?

jeremydb 2008-07-11 07:49 AM

Or by extension, until the day your locally hosted DAV store breaks due to some security update, a slip of the wrist or beer spilled into your machine. Offsite is just as, if not more, 'trustworthy' as on your local machine. And, hey, I got it up and running in 3 minutes!

But we all have our comfort zones. Good luck!

Wilkes 2008-07-11 08:09 AM

KidTreo, I posted the clearest instructions I've found. If you follow them step by step, you should be up and running in about 30 minutes depending on how comfortable you with the command line.

This is deal breaker for most people. I'm a web developer, and I get intimidated with setting up WebDAV. It's hard for me to imagine a non-techie getting this to work.

Lizard 2008-07-11 09:59 AM

Here's another set of instructions that some users may find easier to follow:

[url]http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/07/10/howto-setup-webdav-on-mac-os-x-leopard-for-syncing-omnifocus-to-iphone/[/url]

CrzyMke 2008-07-11 10:11 AM

Thanks for the website, I did find it pretty helpful, but now when trying to sync the Touch to it, I repeatedly get timed out.

Connecting to my own WebDAV in Finder shows me the file just fine, but now the trick is to get it onto the Touch.

kidtreo 2008-07-11 10:46 AM

Well instead of sniping, perhaps you could post your 3 minute set up instructions and actually help those of us who are unsure how to accomplish this so easily and quickly.

Thanks in advance for being helpful.

And btw, neither I nor my powerbook drink beer so not so worried about that :)

[QUOTE=jeremydb;40069]Or by extension, until the day your locally hosted DAV store breaks due to some security update, a slip of the wrist or beer spilled into your machine. Offsite is just as, if not more, 'trustworthy' as on your local machine. And, hey, I got it up and running in 3 minutes!

But we all have our comfort zones. Good luck![/QUOTE]

whpalmer4 2008-07-11 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=kidtreo;40118]Well instead of sniping, perhaps you could post your 3 minute set up instructions and actually help those of us who are unsure how to accomplish this so easily and quickly.
[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=39890&postcount=11"]Jeremy's 3 minute solution[/URL]

jeremydb 2008-07-11 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=kidtreo;40118]Well instead of sniping, perhaps you could post your 3 minute set up instructions and actually help those of us who are unsure how to accomplish this so easily and quickly.

Thanks in advance for being helpful.

And btw, neither I nor my powerbook drink beer so not so worried about that :)[/QUOTE]

MMmmm, beer. Anyway, I decided to use BingoDisk, and I'm happy with it. If you don't want to pay, or don't want to deal with the hassle of a local setup, you're stuck with an unreliable service like box.net (maybe it's only sometimes unreliable, but that's too unreliable for me).

1. Get BingoDisk account ($20 a year for 10GB is really not much)
2. Enter BingoDisk account data in OF WebDAV sync field ([url]http://accountname.bingodisk.com/bingo/[/url])
3. Sync
4. Do same on iPhone/iPod Touch
5. done.

Having the DAV store locally makes sense if you're not generally away from your laptop/computer for very long. I don't want to turn my laptop into a roving web server, though, so it's worth it to me to have my synced data somewhere else.

Good luck!
Jeremy

p.s. I have no interest in BingoDisk otherwise -- I used it for the first time yesterday. I would have preferred to use a free DAV store I have access to via my job, but there's an issue with self-signed certificates and https: WebDAV access and the iOF app. Since I wanted to spend as little time as possible getting it working, and as much time, well, working, I determined that the time savings was worth $20/year. Your calculations may vary...

bbebop 2008-07-11 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Lizard;40102]Here's another set of instructions that some users may find easier to follow:

[url]http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/07/10/howto-setup-webdav-on-mac-os-x-leopard-for-syncing-omnifocus-to-iphone/[/url][/QUOTE]
I was able to get WebDav up and running a little earlier, but these directions are spot-on!

braver 2008-07-11 02:43 PM

I didn't get my iphone 2.0 update to activate yet, but am using 01.com for Zimbra hosting, and they have a couple of useful links for iphone 2.0 and webdav:

[url]https://admin.01.com/help/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=284&nav=0,47#[/url]

[url]https://admin.01.com/help/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=278#[/url]

-- the latter describes how to connect to your WebDAV folders from Finder. I could create new folders after that, and suspect it'll work for OF, too, -- any 01.com users care to confirm?

MichaelG 2008-07-11 05:37 PM

Where do you do this in OF?
I got the Bingo acct
I added the address in OF iPhone in the WebDAV sync field

Now I just need to know where to add it to the OF sync field

jeremydb 2008-07-12 12:06 AM

Assuming that you have a 1.1 sneakypeek (which you need), it's under the Sync tab in the preferences.

jb

braver 2008-07-12 04:24 PM

Actually, Zimbra allows one upload of Omnifocus.ofocus and syncs up well to iPhone, but any subsequent sync attempt results in Error 403, "Forbidden." Filed a ticket to their support, want a read-writeable WebDAV.

Omni folks: what are the file operations OF does to a WebDAV server -- does it write a new copy, deletes old, renames new to old?

MrAleGuy 2008-07-12 08:01 PM

WebDAV error

SP 102775 still exhibits the error 404 problem.

MichaelG 2008-07-12 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=braver;40396]
Omni folks: what are the file operations OF does to a WebDAV server -- does it write a new copy, deletes old, renames new to old?[/QUOTE]

I asked this too. It is hard to know what is going on with the syncing without having an idea of what the protocol is for how it goes about syncing. In plain english, what copies where and under what circumstances?

behnt 2008-07-13 06:53 AM

Check out this post Tom saved the day for me

[url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8570&highlight=tomben[/url]

Ben

Ken Case 2008-07-13 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=MrAleGuy;40425]SP 102775 still exhibits the error 404 problem.[/QUOTE]

This should be fixed in the latest build.

Lars 2008-07-14 08:52 AM

I tried to figure out how to get WebDAV set up on my local machine. I tried to follow the instructions posted by others but they were gerenrally too technical and assumed to know things that I was not confident in trying. But I found a great app called WebMon ($15 at [url]http://cutedgesystems.com/software/WebMonForLeopard/[/url]) It made all the changes to Apache on my laptop and now I am syncing like a charm. Easily worth the $15.

talazem 2008-07-19 02:31 PM

error 404

[QUOTE=Ken Case;40579]This should be fixed in the latest build.[/QUOTE]

I'm running webdav on my home mac mini server, and i'm getting

[QUOTE]unable to perform webdav operation. The server returned an error 404, "not found".[/QUOTE]

This is, when I reset the database on my iphone, and then sync again for the 'first' time, it works. All subsequent syncs give me that error.

Of course, I'm running the latest of everything available -- 77.7.0.103077 on my mac, and what I guess is 77.4.3.0.102457 on my phone. i should also note that I'm using an alternative port number in my address; however, I don't think this is the problem, since the initial sync is working.

Help would be appreciated.

andrewm 2008-07-19 11:23 PM

What's in your server error logs? That should give a big pointer to what is happening.

chinarut 2008-07-21 10:05 AM

HOWTO Setup WebDAV link works great

just upgraded my iPhone to 2.0 and promptly visited the AppStore :)

[QUOTE=Lizard;40102]Here's another set of instructions that some users may find easier to follow:

[url]http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/07/10/howto-setup-webdav-on-mac-os-x-leopard-for-syncing-omnifocus-to-iphone/[/url][/QUOTE]

these instructions worked great - I would highly recommended them - follow them step by step and you won't run into any issues.

that said, please do include a pointer to such instructions - not that this thread was difficult to find - I did have to review quite a few threads and posts before stumbling on the above link. for the record, I didn't even realize the sync was required to be done thru a server - you learn something new every day :)

ok - I'm off to play with my tasks on the go! :)