The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How to move one project inside another? [A: Feature request; contact ninjas.] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18833)

mmb32 2010-11-08 02:29 AM

How to move one project inside another? [A: Feature request; contact ninjas.]

Hi, I am new to the iPad version which I like very much, however I can't see how to move projects to other projects, only to convert to actions?

If I have a project called 'Buy Xmas CDs' but then create a new parent project (say 'Xmas 2010'), I cant see how to move the original project inside the new one.

Apologies if this has been asked before. It seems a curious omission if not available.

Thanks.

Mark

whpalmer4 2010-11-08 06:57 AM

Okay, here's what I would do:

Go to the Buy Xmas CDs project. Tap on the project header, tap the Move button, tap Convert to Action. This will convert the project into an action group (named Buy Xmas CDs) inside your Miscellaneous project, and take you to the Miscellaneous project. Now find the action group, tap on it to bring up the editor again, and change the Project from Miscellaneous to Xmas 2010. Click Done.

If you've chosen a different project for the default Single Actions List, that will be the project used as an stepping stone, not Miscellaneous.

mmb32 2010-11-08 07:42 AM

Thanks, it works this way but default as you said is Miscellaneous. I cant see how to change this on the ipad for SAL.

whpalmer4 2010-11-08 08:12 AM

That's a parameter that gets synced with the database, just like an edit to an action. Easy way to change it without the desktop app (which has some UI for selecting the SAL you want to use for this) is to simply rename the Miscellaneous SAL to be whatever you want, then create another Miscellaneous SAL.

Brian 2010-11-08 04:00 PM

Somewhat surprisingly, this is the first request I can find for the ability to make a project an action inside another project as a single step.

Folks that would like to see this added should contact the [EMAIL="omnifocus-ipad@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] and request it. Thanks!

whpalmer4 2010-11-08 04:10 PM

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had answered this before, but when I looked, all I could find was the workaround for setting the parallel/sequential nature of an action group, which uses the same technique. Happy to see that that has been addressed in the latest iPad version, finally!

porschestrasse 2010-12-11 04:05 AM

Request sent!

Add me to the list of those that need this feature. I just emailed the ninjas.

While I'm no OF expert, it doesn't seem that you can add actions to a project within a project on the desktop version. Rather, you've got to add the action to the main project and then drag it to the sub project. And there's no way to drag an action on the iPad version.

Is that right, or do I have that all wrong?