The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Why do I have to move the database? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5862)

tedhogan 2007-11-27 03:56 AM

Why do I have to move the database?

Why can't I simply point Omnifocus to where I have put the database file? Why do I have to move it?

I want to point Omnifocus to an existing database file on my iDisk. How do I do this?

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm confused.

:-)

Ted

BwanaZulia 2007-11-27 05:28 AM

Not sure why this is a problem as the program does it for you.

BZ

tedhogan 2007-11-27 06:23 AM

I don't think you understand.

Right now, it moves a new, empty, data file over an existing one. There seems to be no facility to simply point the program to an already existing data file.

I have never used a program that forces you to move a data file that it has already decided to use. Normally, a program will have a very simple setting that tells it where to find the file.

I've never seen this before and I was wondering if their is a reason.

Thanks,
Ted

SpiralOcean 2007-11-27 04:13 PM

I have my file on a usb keychain.

To open the file, double click on the file to open in OmniFocus.

curt.clifton 2007-11-27 04:59 PM

Ted,

Are you talking about the Move button in Preferences? That's [I]very[/I] new--within the last week or so. You may be one of the pioneering users of that new feature. Most of us old-timers have become accustom to the default location, or workarounds like SO suggests.

Tim Wood 2007-11-27 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=tedhogan;26407]Why can't I simply point Omnifocus to where I have put the database file? Why do I have to move it?
[/QUOTE]

There isn't direct UI for this, but if you'd find it useful, send feedback. We felt the common case was that people would have their existing data in the default location and would want to move it from there. We've discussed adding an entry under the File menu to let you pick a new default file; figuring out how to wedge this into Preference would be troublesome, mostly due to the craziness of NSSavePanel vs. NSOpenPanel.

Journey 2007-11-27 05:49 PM

What are NSSavePanel and NSOpenPanel?

Tim Wood 2007-11-27 06:12 PM

Implementation details =) They are the standard Mac OS X controls for saving and opening files. The split between them makes it ugly to try to build something that can either pick a new file or an existing one.

Journey 2007-11-27 06:20 PM

Ah, OK -- thanks. I am new to the Mac platform but am planning on immersing myself in Mac programming this month in hopes of shortening the learning curve for a few iPhone apps I want to release when the SDK comes out, however I am not sure if my brain can possibly handle another learning curve especially if it contains mind-numbing class libraries ...

COBOL --> Systems Analyst --> Data Base Analyst --> C++, Java, .NET --> Major Depression :-)

JonC 2007-12-04 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Tim Wood;26560]We've discussed adding an entry under the File menu to let you pick a new default file...[/QUOTE]

An option to change the default file would be much more useful than the "move" feature, IMO. I can move the data file myself. What I can't seem to do is to set two different installations to point to the same default file -- for example, on my iDisk. If I "move" the default file location for the first installation, how can I point the second installation to the same location?

Jon