The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What's on board for 1.0? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6057)

jasong 2007-12-04 11:33 AM

What's on board for 1.0?

Folks,

Now that OmniFocus has a release date, and it's in public beta, I'm wondering what is on board for a 1.0 release.

I'm asking because I see new features appearing which seem less important than outstanding bugs and feature requests (I'm looking at you, Growl support!).

I don't expect OmniGroup to lay their cards on the table regarding what will end up in a 1.0 release but it'd help me (and maybe others?) to know generally what is planned. Should we expect new features, or a refining of existing ones? If there are still new features planned, is there a broad description of the areas of those features?

Journey 2007-12-04 12:19 PM

I am specifically interested in whether some way to implement multiple contexts will be included in the 1.0 release, or to find out what Omni Group thinks of this feature. Right now I am using the Bonsai outliner program, and it's Palm PDA counterpart on my Windows laptop for GTD and once again I am finding that multiple contexts are very valuable. Unfortunately, Omni Focus doesn't seem to have even a good enough workaround with a keyword function or tags, so (for me) I will not be able to use Omni Focus (and may request a return of my advance registration).

Tim Wood 2007-12-04 07:30 PM

Most of what is left is UI polishing, bug fixes, stability, and documentation. There will undoubtedly be a few new features, but fairly small. The line between bugs/polishing and new feature is sometimes a gradient, but what is left is pretty far to the polish side (even if some of it is new functionality to enhance an existing feature).

Multiple contexts or tagging won't be in 1.0, certainly (though some are finding the full-text search + perspectives to work for them). We have ideas for the future, of course, but certainly you should go with whatever is working best for you personally.

Journey 2007-12-05 03:42 AM

Hi Tim, thanks for the clarification for version 1.0 and multiple contexts. It helps me focus and to put any threads related to that on hold for now. Hopefully either tags, keywords, or some other way to implement multi-contexts will appear in the future but I understand the need to freeze things for now for version 1.0.

steve 2007-12-05 04:26 AM

Tim,

My decision to buy 5 more licenses rests on whether an OF Project can be imported and exported to OmniOutliner inclusive of dates and notes.

A major personal frustration/question is how to find projects with missing next actions. I know Curt Clifton has an applescript to add the text "missing NA" but this isn't the quickest solution.

Steve

Tim Wood 2007-12-05 07:54 PM

Ken's working on a more generic OmniOutliner import/export path on a branch and should be merging that to the mainline soon.

Also, we've approved adding a "Blocked" or "Stalled" project filter for 1.0. Probably the hardest thing will be to pick what to call it... =)

So, hopefully those will be in soon and you'll be able to better evaluate OmniFocus.

joelande 2007-12-06 11:03 AM

With OmniFocus v1.0 due to be released on January 8, and the iPhone SDK kit being released in February, will we be seeing a v1.5 release sometime relatively soon after the v1 release to add iPhone support?

Tim Wood 2007-12-06 05:27 PM

That would certainly make us happy, but we can't promise anything until they release the SDK and we get a chance to bang on it.

curt.clifton 2007-12-06 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=Tim Wood;27696]Ken's working on a more generic OmniOutliner import/export path on a branch and should be merging that to the mainline soon.

Also, we've approved adding a "Blocked" or "Stalled" project filter for 1.0. Probably the hardest thing will be to pick what to call it... =)[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I'm almost out of business on the script support front: Mail, check; OO import/export, check; Safari clipping, check; Verify next actions exist, check.

Looks like [URL="http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html#PopTemp"]Populate Template Placeholders[/URL] might be the only script I need to maintain after 1.0.

Woofer 2007-12-06 08:51 PM

oops, disregard this post.