The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniOutliner 3 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   anything happening with Omni Outliner 4.00 (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13085)

kened 2009-07-19 09:39 AM

anything happening with Omni Outliner 4.00

i know we've had a slew of minor updates to OO3, but just looking around the forum today, i notice that people were talking about the imminence of version 4 of my favourite software a long time ago.

is anything at all happening with this. i long for a zoom view, as well as some of the other sensible features that people have requested.

it's now July 2009

any chance of any news anytime soon?

DerekM 2009-07-20 09:02 AM

OO4 is now in active development but it's still in the early stages. There's a lot of work needed to update an app that ran on 10.3 for years :)

FredH 2009-07-21 09:35 PM

Early stages? Oh nooooooooooo! That is very heart-breaking.

kened 2009-07-22 10:17 AM

oh. disappointing.

Robert Black 2009-08-23 07:23 AM

Oo4

Woohoo!

I know it's disappointing for some to learn that a shiney new OO4 isn't due out imminently, but having watched MORE 3, InfoDepot, INControl and many other great Mac outliners fade into oblivion, I can say that it's very heartening to know that OO remains in active development.

Sure OO 3.0 came out what, in 2005? So OO 4 feels a little overdue. But there's been a fairly steady stream of point updates from Omni over those years, fixing bugs and adding features. That kind of beats having had zero updates in the last decade!

So I say, hurrah for OO4! (But after a 4-5 year wait, it better have MORE-like cloning! I kid, I kid. No, seriously)

dude 2009-09-04 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Black;65101]Woohoo!

I know it's disappointing for some to learn that a shiney new OO4 isn't due out imminently, but having watched MORE 3, InfoDepot, INControl and many other great Mac outliners fade into oblivion, I can say that it's very heartening to know that OO remains in active development.

Sure OO 3.0 came out what, in 2005? So OO 4 feels a little overdue. But there's been a fairly steady stream of point updates from Omni over those years, fixing bugs and adding features. That kind of beats having had zero updates in the last decade!

So I say, hurrah for OO4! (But after a 4-5 year wait, it better have MORE-like cloning! I kid, I kid. No, seriously)[/QUOTE]

While I agree that it is far overdue, and you are correct in pointing out that many outliners have went by the wayside, OO4 better be good or it will flop. I have felt for several years now that 003 is ok for outlining but it has it's limits and could be much easier to format. It has always been clunky for me to work with. I started on 002.

Tinchohs 2009-09-06 10:29 AM

I would have to agree with 'dude'. I moved from Notebook mainly because I am a heavy user of Omni Focus. Then, there was already talk about OO4. If after all this wait, I don't get some basic fetaures that are available in other products, I will consider moving away from it. My requests are easier formatting and linking data from different sections.

kened 2009-09-11 12:01 PM

there's no way i could move away from OO, nor would i want to. it has been at the centre of all of my productive activities for the last gosh knows how many years. it's great, i love it, BUT it could be improved. i've mentioned elsewhere that i don't want it to be warped into some sort of microsoft office wannabe, but there are some things which seem really obvious: ZOOM view being my priority - but i know others want cloning/aliases. perhaps tagging of some kind.

i'll wait, but we've been waiting for quite a while now.

dude 2010-01-26 07:47 PM

We even close for a beta to start up?

Tinchohs 2011-09-22 11:05 AM

Hi, sorry if I have missed this. I have been waiting for ever for a version 4 of Omni Outliner for mac. Did I miss anything? Is it still in the roadmap? When can it be expected? Should I just give up on it and transition old noted to Evernote? Thanks for the update.